Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

72amp charger not compatible???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a new Model X P100D a few months back with VIN 5YJXCBE47HF039565 and it came with the standard charger. I wanted to upgrade to the 72amp charger and got one from the forum here from another member. I was told by Tesla that it can not be installed due to a firmware conflict? Can anyone verify this, or is it simply that they can not guarantee it will work? I would really like to have the faster charging at home as I do on my Model S. I have a HPWC with a 100A circuit so no issues there. Trying to understand why a 100kw battery wouldn't be able to accept a 72amp charging unit?

Maybe there are different revisions of the 72 amp charger and the one you got isn't compatible with your X. Did you ask them how much it would cost to upgrade your X? (I think it is supposed to cost $1,900 including installation.)

When I bought the vehicle, I asked about it from Tesla direct and they pretty much stated that you couldn't purchase the upgrade anymore. I don't think I realized (or imagined) that it wasn't possible since many (if not most) 100kw vehicles had it standard (I know it's standard now on the Model X 100 series). They didn't ask about the part number and honestly, I think they just don't want to be bothered. I would at least like them to TRY and see if it works. The battery unit was supposedly new?

Not sure what could happen. It's not like there are aftermarket charging units out there. It's a Tesla OEM unit. I would assume it either works or it doesn't.

I agree w/ you. But in this legal world these days its likely more complicated. What if it has been dropped, opened and modified, etc?

There has been at least one, perhaps two teslas that caught on fire while charging. I think one was claimed to be a loose connection, I don't know if the cause was identified in the other one.

I believe there are folks on the net that will "pair" your charger if you put it in.

I agree w/ you. But in this legal world these days its likely more complicated. What if it has been dropped, opened and modified, etc?

There has been at least one, perhaps two teslas that caught on fire while charging. I think one was claimed to be a loose connection, I don't know if the cause was identified in the other one.

I believe there are folks on the net that will "pair" your charger if you put it in.

Does anyone have installation instructions? Is it difficult? My store said something about flushing coolant and more? Not sure I would want to but if I can bring more ammo to my store and let them try (at my risk) I would be cool with it. I was told by the person who sold it to me that he thinks it may not even require a firmware upgrade as it may simply be plug and play. Anyone know? Anyone do the paid upgrade?