Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

72Amp onboard charger for current models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The current charger consists of up to three 24 amp modules. That's where 48 and 72 come from. It's a cost and regional accommodation so that three phase power can be used in Europe. Current US production eliminates one of these modules. There is only one box. You could swap in another 24 amp module from a loaner car. Or get an older 72 amp charger from a loaner car. Then you'd have to get the car to recognize it but it may be as simple as a forced update to all the car modules. The service center for instance does that on the interior ultrasonic alarm install. This process queries all the car modules and updates them from the current build.

Here’s an internal pic of a presumed gen2 72 amp charger illustrating this:

Can charge but cannot supercharge

Well, argh. The last I knew 100D and P100D came with 72A on-board charger, but today from this thread I've learned they stopped doing that some months ago, which means my new Raven car is limited to 48A on-board charger. My home EVSE is only 40A (on 50A circuit) so no big deal, but bummer if I'm at a Destination charger or somewhere that has more current available. My 2013 P85+ has dual on-board chargers and so can use the full 80A from a HPWC (wired to 100A circuit). In some small way, Tesla just raised the value of that car (it's for sale). In addition to 80A charging, it also has a sunroof (no longer available), yacht floor (replaced by console), and the rear-facing child seats (no longer available). Oh yea, it'll smoke the tires if you turn off traction control (I mean, that's what I hear).

AWDtsla, what do you disagree with?

I have and am glad I have dual chargers, wish they still offered 72amp.

That said with my P85 degraded down to 247miles full charge is vastly more likely to need an 80amp destination charger than a Raven with a bigger pack and more efficient. The current LR S has half again the range my car does.

The current charger consists of up to three 24 amp modules. That's where 48 and 72 come from. It's a cost and regional accommodation so that three phase power can be used in Europe. Current US production eliminates one of these modules. There is only one box. You could swap in another 24 amp module from a loaner car. Or get an older 72 amp charger from a loaner car. Then you'd have to get the car to recognize it but it may be as simple as a forced update to all the car modules. The service center for instance does that on the interior ultrasonic alarm install. This process queries all the car modules and updates them from the current build.

The current 48 amp charger is 3x16A modules. The 32 amp charger in the mid range and standard range Model 3s are only populated with two boards.

European three phase charging is 16A @ 400 volts (16 amps at 230 volts line-to-neutral on each of the three charging boards).

Tried to get under my seat today to take a look at the hardware, but those grommets holding the seat down are in there too well. Anybody have some tips for getting it out of there without harming the seat? Does Tesla have some special tool for releasing them?

(The hope is the wiring/parts are exactly the same as the old 48A charger, and one from ebay can do the trick)

Last edited:
Bigger pack means more reason for faster charger, to me at least. Sure, bigger pack might mean you need non-Supercharging less often, but when you need it, you need it, and you have a larger battery to fill.

If you treat it like a gasser and always want to fill it, yeah. If just looking at range to the next stop the efficiency of the newer models means more range given equal time at a given amperage.

I live near Appleton last summer was on vacation in the Dells when a family emergency came up that called for a trip up into Green Bay basically ASAP, I ended up needing to hit the supercharger in GB to make sure I could get home. I was home such a short time overnight and with just a 14-30 outlet that I actually hit the supercharger in GB again the next day. Weeks later I installed a wall connector at 80amps available.

I get wanting it, but to say a car with a bigger battery needs a faster AC charge than a lower range car is silly.

Tried to get under my seat today to take a look at the hardware, but those grommets holding the seat down are in there too well. Anybody have some tips for getting it out of there without harming the seat? Does Tesla have some special tool for releasing them?

(The hope is the wiring/parts are exactly the same as the old 48A charger, and one from ebay can do the trick)
If you're talking about a Model S the rear seat bottom is held in on the front by two large plastic grommets. Warning: These are one-time-use items so I would NOT recommend trying to remove the rear seat bottom as they could break and you will need a new set to replace once you have it out. I found this out the hard way as both of mine broke in a car I was putting a subwoofer into and it sort of just sat back in place with the aid of gravity until I could get replacements. Not really something you want to have happen in your 2019 I'm guessing. Maybe had it not been so cold (dead of winter in Colorado) they may not have broke but after talking w/Tesla service they said those are listed as a non-reusable part so I doubt I'm the only person that happened to.

The current 48 amp charger is 3x16A modules. The 32 amp charger in the mid range and standard range Model 3s are only populated with two boards.

European three phase charging is 16A @ 400 volts (16 amps at 230 volts line-to-neutral on each of the three charging boards).
That's a good update. I guess my definition of current should have said "last I knew".

Edit - my attitude would change for the better if there was a way to implement some kind of fast DC charging at home. My house has 600 amp service.

You will start getting rate limited at superchargers because of pack degradation from DC charging. 19kW AC charging is a pretty good sweet spot. Slow enough to be gentle on the battery, but still pretty fast to charge at home.