Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

72Amp onboard charger for current models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
Has anyone successfully upgraded their onboard charger to 72Amp(s) on a car manufactured in the last few months?

Just picked up my Raven ModelS LongRange P+L and can’t seem to find any information on upgrading the onboard charger.

We make a long trip fairly often where they have, up to 80Amp HPWC, and we charge at 72Amp at home as well.

Hopeful that someone has been successful in upgrading their current mid 2019 Model X or S to 72Amp....

One place we visit is Harrahs Murphy NC where they have ~32 80Amp chargers:

upload_2019-6-9_19-54-36.jpeg

upload_2019-6-9_19-54-58.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-9_19-53-59.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-9_19-53-59.jpeg
    607.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aesculus and whitex
Big congrats on taking possession of your new raven! Good luck finding information about the getting the 2nd charger installed. Hopefully Tesla hasn’t officially killed the ability to add the 2nd inverter.

Big congrats on taking possession of your new raven! Good luck finding information about the getting the 2nd charger installed. Hopefully Tesla hasn’t officially killed the ability to add the 2nd inverter.
Not a second charger and hasn’t been so since the days of 40 and 40. Last several years it’s two separate chargers, one replacing the other. 48 and 72.

Thank you @computerchuck First drive home was a blast. Raining like crazy in the Atlanta area so I didn’t try our Ludicrous at all.

BA85B885-9820-4826-BC35-9FDAAF38909E.jpeg

Absolutely and positively beautiful. Well done sir. If I were in Atlanta, I would invite you to a whiskey on me. Also just read the overwhelmingly positive review of your last MS sale. Don’t get much better. A personal thank you for being such an outstanding citizen. I can only hope we’ll meet each other someday. Blessings

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
For overnight charging, 48A is enough to recharge current Tesla vehicles.

For charging during the day, even with 72A, it will take hours to recharge - and with more superchargers in major cities and on the highways, it's much faster to recharge at a supercharger.

Wouldn't be surprised for Tesla NOT to offer a 72A upgrade for current vehicles.

If battery pack capacities increase beyond the ability to recharge overnight with 48A, then they would need to add a bigger onboard charger, likely required for Roadster 2.0.

The ability to charge at 72amps isn't about overnight. What it can be about is getting a meaningful 60miles during a meal or shopping trip.

The the proliferation of 20mile per hour charging in public places where you are briefly is what makes no sense. Plug in while in the grocery store and get 15miles...........I only bother to do this on rare occasions and do it to encourage adding chargers but it is pointless.

Local Nature Center has a big solar array and 80amp chargers, can go for a walk and add 50miles. That is wonderful.

72amp charger was discontinued in November 2018. So definitely not possible for any Raven cars.
I’m horrified that it’s not available. I have a 2015 S with the 80 amp dual charger that i use at full current at home. It’s very convenient to recharge quickly during the day between morning and afternoon trips (I live in the country where all trips are pretty long). This has allowed me to run up 50k miles without ever having used a supercharger. Nearly doubling home charge time is such a big deal for me that it would flatly disqualify the Model S as a replacement for my current Model S. I would just keep mine until its reliability fell apart. Very disappointing.

Edit - my attitude would change for the better if there was a way to implement some kind of fast DC charging at home. My house has 600 amp service.

Last edited: