Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$75.00 for a tire rotation!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How uneven is the tire wear?
No reason to rotate tires unless the wear is uneven. A 50/50 balanced RWD car should have pretty even wear.
I can't speak for the 3, but my RWD S60 wears the rear tires much more quickly than the fronts (I was surprised, but it is what it is). I drive a lot of steep hills and hairpin curves, so I get much less mileage out of tires than easy-does-it flatland freeway cruisers would. I would expect more even wear from AWD Teslas but have no experience with it.

Like some others here, I do my own rotations. Since I have only one floor jack, I use an extra wheel as a placeholder when doing the rotation. I also have a breaker bar, cross tire iron to spin off the nuts, and a torque wrench to tighten them correctly. It isn't a big deal to do.

Currently Volvo, BMW and Mini do not recommend tire rotation at any time. I own two of these three. There may be others...

I rotate tires on our 2012 Mini but decided to not do it on the 2017 Volvo. Both have AWD. With 16k miles on the Volvo no problems are apparent.

That’s odd. I recently took my wife’s 2015 S60 AWD in for the 50k service and thought tire rotation was part of it. We bought the car used at 44k miles so that was our first Volvo service experience. I’ll have to go check and see if they did rotate them, perhaps I am assuming.

In the Tesla manual, it says to rotate the tires every 6,250 miles. I just touched 6K, and called my local service center today to see about a tire rotation. They said they can do it, for $75.

Huh? I waited 2 years and spent $50,000, you're seriously going to charge me SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS to rotate the tires.?

I shouldn't be surprised, knowing it is Tesla, but this is outrageous.

I wouldn't want to take it to a normal tire shop, as they won't know the jack points, or probably the lug nut torques.

I could do it myself, but I don't have 2 jacks to use at once. An what about getting the tire pressure sensors reset, to read the correct wheels?

If you have a Discount Tire in your city they are VERY familiar with putting the car in jack mode and the proper lug nuts torque. I take mine in all the time and never had any issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Side note - On a car this advanced, they should have software that keeps track of when you're due for a tire rotation and notifies you when it's been 6250 miles since the last rotation.
I agree but I also have a document that I was given at delivery that states the following:

Model 3 has been engineered to monitor consumption and wear-and-tear of service components, thus reducing the number of components requiring regularly scheduled maintenance or inspection. Currently only three items have scheduled maintenance intervals: tire rotation, brake fluid replacement and battery coolant replacement. Your Model 3 is designed to inform you when service is required for all other items. Please refer to the Owners Manual for recommendations, including daily and monthly checks that you can perform yourself.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
AB5CC35D-41C0-4C71-AA23-28ED75A482D6.jpeg

Confirmed, my wife’s 2015 Volvo S60 AWD did indeed receive a tire rotation at the 50k mile service visit. It says “high speed balance and rotation” and the cost was $60. Now perhaps Volvo has eliminated tire rotations on later model cars but for the 2015 they are still recommending them.

I agree but I also have a document that I was given at delivery that states the following:

Model 3 has been engineered to monitor consumption and wear-and-tear of service components, thus reducing the number of components requiring regularly scheduled maintenance or inspection. Currently only three items have scheduled maintenance intervals: tire rotation, brake fluid replacement and battery coolant replacement. Your Model 3 is designed to inform you when service is required for all other items. Please refer to the Owners Manual for recommendations, including daily and monthly checks that you can perform yourself.

Wonder if it will tell you when the cabin air filter needs replacement?

Reactions: GSP