Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$75.00 for a tire rotation!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Msjulie,

We’re they there for another Service Call item? Or did you call them for ‘just’ the rotation?

Ski
Msjulie already gave her answer, but for what it is worth, my service appt. was also only for tire rotation. In fact, I called and made an appt at my local service center, then a couple of days later the mobile service guys called and said they would come by. So I canceled the service center appt.

Also got a firmware update from the mobile tech. Received an invoice via email later in the day. Total charges = $0

I'm sure Amazon will soon have tire rotation (light mechanical services) to your door step service for a small fee. While you're waiting they'll refill any prescriptions you have, offer you discounts on space flights and deliver your groceries.

Wi
I just had my tires rotated this morning by a mobile tech who came to my house and he told me tire rotations are free by mobile techs. He didn't say whether I would be charged at the service center had I gone to the service center for the rotation.

We had a chat about how he was going to rotate the tires because I thought the manual said the rotated tires should be "criss-crossed" (left rear goes to right front, right rear to left front, etc.) He said they are told to simply move fronts to back and backs to front, on the same sides. I pulled up the owner's manual on my car's screen and we couldn't find anything about the criss-crossing. So he jacked up one side at a time (raising both wheels off the ground), as Ms. Julie's photo showed, and rotated the tires. Took about 20 minutes.

Kelly
This is the second example of the mobile service jacking both tires off the ground by a single jack point. So I'm warming up to this idea myself....

They told me the rotation would be $60-something, but after checking the tread depth they said the tires were almost perfectly even and therefore no rotation needed. There is zero chance any dealership I've used for other brands would have done this. They'd have gladly taken my money.

FWIW, my local Honda dealer did the same thing when I took my Civic in for an oil change / tire rotation earlier this year.

Reactions: Zaxxon
Tire Rotation is "FREE" at Discount Tire. I also purchase the Road Hazard warranty for the tires, just in case. Small price to pay to get free flat repairs and replacement if it can not be repaired.

Does Discount Tire know how to lift Teslas, or specifically the Model 3, at the right spots? Was thinking of buying Murphey's Law device just in case they don't, but not sure if worth it if I'm gonna be going to discount tire for that.
Also, if in a town where they is barely any Teslas, I would assume they probably never handled one before, is there anything needed to explain to them (perhaps besides how to use the key)?

Does Discount Tire know how to lift Teslas, or specifically the Model 3, at the right spots? Was thinking of buying Murphey's Law device just in case they don't, but not sure if worth it if I'm gonna be going to discount tire for that.
Also, if in a town where they is barely any Teslas, I would assume they probably never handled one before, is there anything needed to explain to them (perhaps besides how to use the key)?
A little worried about this myself. Does the Model S have a similar setup for jack points? If it does, I'd assume they'd have some knowledge about it since the S has been around a while.

I still don't know if this thread is a joke, and at this point, I'm too afraid to ask.

Seriously. Can people here not rotate their own tires? If not, can they not put on a spare either?

Or are we talking about rotation with alignment as well?

(Rotation is not really much of a "thing" here because most people swap between summer and winter tires)

In the Tesla manual, it says to rotate the tires every 6,250 miles. I just touched 6K, and called my local service center today to see about a tire rotation. They said they can do it, for $75.

Huh? I waited 2 years and spent $50,000, you're seriously going to charge me SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS to rotate the tires.?

I shouldn't be surprised, knowing it is Tesla, but this is outrageous.

I wouldn't want to take it to a normal tire shop, as they won't know the jack points, or probably the lug nut torques.

I could do it myself, but I don't have 2 jacks to use at once. An what about getting the tire pressure sensors reset, to read the correct wheels?

Just take it to American Tires and they'll rotate them for free. Doesn't matter if you got your tires with them or not.

I still don't know if this thread is a joke, and at this point, I'm too afraid to ask.

I ended up never rotating the tires, and at 11,000 miles, I notice that the rears are a bit thinner in the tread than the fronts.

My current plan is to put on some Michelin winter tires of the same size, on the rear ONLY around November, and drive them through to spring, and see where all the tire wear is at that point.