Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$75.00 for a tire rotation!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed, my wife’s 2015 Volvo S60 AWD did indeed receive a tire rotation at the 50k mile service visit. It says “high speed balance and rotation” and the cost was $60. Now perhaps Volvo has eliminated tire rotations on later model cars but for the 2015 they are still recommending them.
Volvo doesn't own the dealerships. They'll sell you anything they can.
I'm strongly in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp. If you aren't getting vibration, don't rebalance the tires. If your tires aren't wearing unevenly, don't rotate your tires.

• Love
Reactions: suwaneedad
For those who say don’t rotate or balance your tires unless they are showing uneven wear, doesn’t that kind of miss the point? I’m not trying to be difficult here, but tire rotation and balance are part of preventative maintenance. You wouldn’t wait to change your oil until the engine starts showing signs of poor performance would you?

Anyway, this has gone way off topic. Regarding tire rotation, to each his own. And I think we can all agree there will be no oil changes on our Model 3s!!!

Appreciate the enthusiasm, but wondering what makes a tire rotation turn out "awesome". It doesn't seem like an awesome use of time.

I've been ordering and rotating Michelin (m3 aero tires) and Bridgestone tires for years and when I buy 70000 mile tires, they tend to last 70000-75000 with rotations. Quick note, it's not hard to drive those distances in Florida where even local roads have speed limit of 45mph with 2-3 Lanes each way. What makes this awesome is that after I rotated m3 tires, Tesla computer didn't throw any errors and while driving, there are no shakes/issues at high speeds. This cost me 1.5 hours and $400 in tools but will pay for itself within 1 year and then becomes cost of time spent. If I get it down to under 1 hour, which is easily achievable, that means I'm earning$75-80 per hour plus most critical is the satisfaction of doing this myself as I do it meticulously.

Reactions: SageBrush
Confirmed, my wife’s 2015 Volvo S60 AWD did indeed receive a tire rotation at the 50k mile service visit. It says “high speed balance and rotation” and the cost was $60. Now perhaps Volvo has eliminated tire rotations on later model cars but for the 2015 they are still recommending them.
Yes, recent policy change; applies to 2017+. Our earlier Volvo's did have rotations specified.

For those who say don’t rotate or balance your tires unless they are showing uneven wear, doesn’t that kind of miss the point? I’m not trying to be difficult here, but tire rotation and balance are part of preventative maintenance. You wouldn’t wait to change your oil until the engine starts showing signs of poor performance would you?

Anyway, this has gone way off topic. Regarding tire rotation, to each his own. And I think we can all agree there will be no oil changes on our Model 3s!!!
Why spend extra money and time for no benefit? You can measure the tread depth in a couple minutes and rotate the tires if necessary. Rotating the tires could also be hiding alignment problems causing you to spend more money on tires. Also anytime someone removes the wheels there is chance of someone screwing something up, over-torquing or under-torquing the lug nuts, scratching the car or the wheels. Dealerships aren't assigning their brightest minds to rotating the tires.
Analogously, plenty of fleets do tests on motor oils to determine the proper oil change interval so they're not wasting money on oil changes. Same with brake fluid changes.

Reactions: bhzmark and DR61
In the Tesla manual, it says to rotate the tires every 6,250 miles. I just touched 6K, and called my local service center today to see about a tire rotation. They said they can do it, for $75.

Huh? I waited 2 years and spent $50,000, you're seriously going to charge me SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS to rotate the tires.?

I shouldn't be surprised, knowing it is Tesla, but this is outrageous.

I wouldn't want to take it to a normal tire shop, as they won't know the jack points, or probably the lug nut torques.

I could do it myself, but I don't have 2 jacks to use at once. An what about getting the tire pressure sensors reset, to read the correct wheels?

So you don't have the tools to do it yourself, and you're worried a cheaper place will do a bad job........ it's almost like it's worth something to pay to have it done right.....

If the service center wanted $30 or $40, MAYBE even $50, I'd take it right to them. But $75? Nah, getting a bit high there.

I could certainly do it myself, I've done my own automotive work for many many years. But I currently do not have a decent torque wrench or 2 jacks. And my parking space is on a slight slope, I can just see it tipping the jacks over.

... It doesn't seem like an awesome use of time.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and prognosticate that you choose to not wash your own chariot either.

If I was not near a competent shop, I'd rotate my own tires every time, and am equipped to do so when traveling now that I know America's/Discount Tire locations are in fact not all over America. Then again, I wash my own car every 2 weeks and consider that endeavor to be 2 of the best hours I spend every month*.

Fortunately, when in town, there's a stellar America's/Discount Tire location along with a chosen alignment/suspension/tire shop that now gets all of that business as a first preference. Seek out Stokes Tire in Santa Monica if you're in or passing through SoCal. No farkled lug nut covers, no worries about jack point management, and they'll even install adjustable rear camber links if you happen to have a set handy.

I've added tire pressure to the list of Tesla SvC don'ts. Don't disconnect my dashcams (tape over the exterior of the windshield and rear window instead), don't wash the car, and don't check the air pressure. Implied in that are also: don't dent my trim and don't scratch my window tint, but that's what pictures inside and out before and after each visit are for. Yes, damage has occurred for every one of the cases listed at one SvC or another.

* I used to think that if I ever returned to a latitude where snow wasn't gone by or before noon, I'd have to rethink the car wash every 2 weeks thing. Then I found myself in British Columbia during one trip or another. How incredibly civilized. For about eighty cents, I found myself washing the chariot with HOT WATER. Not tepid, not hey the pipes are in the sun hot, but consistently hot water. Enough to wash the entire car and then some for less than a buck. Winter-proof *and* honorarily Scottish. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

But I digress.

In the Tesla manual, it says to rotate the tires every 6,250 miles. I just touched 6K, and called my local service center today to see about a tire rotation. They said they can do it, for $75.

Huh? I waited 2 years and spent $50,000, you're seriously going to charge me SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS to rotate the tires.?

I shouldn't be surprised, knowing it is Tesla, but this is outrageous.

I wouldn't want to take it to a normal tire shop, as they won't know the jack points, or probably the lug nut torques.

I could do it myself, but I don't have 2 jacks to use at once. An what about getting the tire pressure sensors reset, to read the correct wheels?
I had the tires rotated on my Roadster back in 2010 at Tires Plus.
It isn't that difficult. Just speak with the manager and make sure they know the proper Jack points.

I could do it myself, but I don't have 2 jacks to use at once.

Two jack stands cost less than $75. Sounds like you only need one though?

An what about getting the tire pressure sensors reset, to read the correct wheels?

That's the money you save by doing it yourself and not paying someone else to use the tool(s) they invested in. I rotated my previous car's tires myself and just remembered which tire pressure was for which spot on the screen. You can even save this information on your drawing pad.

TL;DR-Those two arguments are invalid.

Why spend extra money and time for no benefit? You can measure the tread depth in a couple minutes and rotate the tires if necessary. Rotating the tires could also be hiding alignment problems causing you to spend more money on tires. Also anytime someone removes the wheels there is chance of someone screwing something up, over-torquing or under-torquing the lug nuts, scratching the car or the wheels. Dealerships aren't assigning their brightest minds to rotating the tires.
Analogously, plenty of fleets do tests on motor oils to determine the proper oil change interval so they're not wasting money on oil changes. Same with brake fluid changes.

I called Tesla before rotating my tires telling them I need alignment. They said make an appointment and show is why the car needs alignment and alignment costs$150. They wouldn't charge until they figured out alignment is needed and did the service.

If the service center wanted $30 or $40, MAYBE even $50, I'd take it right to them. But $75? Nah, getting a bit high there.

I could certainly do it myself, I've done my own automotive work for many many years. But I currently do not have a decent torque wrench or 2 jacks. And my parking space is on a slight slope, I can just see it tipping the jacks over.

So you're just never going to rotate your tires?

The tech lifted the car only from the front jack point FWIW - he was saying the car is so still it's not an issue and it wasn't... :)

IMG_1453.JPG