Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$75.00 for a tire rotation!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Dania Beach charged me $89 for rotation.
Svc Center called me the day after mobile service, demanded payment and threatened to suspend my account which would mean I could not get my car serviced. I paid.
That was after I was told in email the rotation would be provided as a "maintenence concern". Service tech never mentioned cost and I did not know how much they charge until I received the collection call the next day.
The guy did not care to hear my story or read my emails. He sounded desperate to collect. Didn't offer a discount or any type of reduction.

I'm starting to think Tesla may actually be on its last legs as the news media predicts.

Bad timing on my part.

So? Nothing is free. Gas or charge and time to get to your location.

I agree with some who said don't bother to rotate tires. My cars have staggered tiers that you can't do that anyway. I don't see a problem with it.

Terrible recommendation.

Especially for folks with RWD cars, that eat through the rear tires at an accelerated rate.
Even on AWD cars, different camber settings front vs. back will produce varying wear patterns on front vs. back tires. Ideally, you want to replace tires as a complete set (tire availability, tread depth traction variance, etc). Rotating them is the only way to achieve even wear across all four tires.

Never mind that "don't rotate" contradicts Tesla maintenance requirements, as well as those of every other automaker with square tire setup (same-size tires on both axles).

HTH,
a

Terrible recommendation.

Especially for folks with RWD cars, that eat through the rear tires at an accelerated rate.
Even on AWD cars, different camber settings front vs. back will produce varying wear patterns on front vs. back tires. Ideally, you want to replace tires as a complete set (tire availability, tread depth traction variance, etc). Rotating them is the only way to achieve even wear across all four tires.

Never mind that "don't rotate" contradicts Tesla maintenance requirements, as well as those of every other automaker with square tire setup (same-size tires on both axles).

HTH,
a

BMW says not to rotate tires. Tire rotation is about one thing, maximizing tire life. You will decrease the handling of the car with every rotation.

Terrible recommendation.

HTH,
a

How do you rotate staggered tires? Do you even know what staggered tires mean?

BMW says not to rotate tires. Tire rotation is about one thing, maximizing tire life. You will decrease the handling of the car with every rotation.

Good point. Most higher level BMW probably have staggered tires too. My last five cars including two Tesla all have staggered tires. Someone who claims he has owned performance cars before does not seem to know it.

Last edited:

Audi tire rotation recommendation:
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...Audi-Maintenance-Schedule-Model-Year-2016.pdf

Mercedes tire rotation recommendation:
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/maintenancebooklets/MY10-Maintenance-Booklet.pdf

BMW tire rotation recommendation:
BMW Maintenance - Terms and Conditions - BMW USA

a

afadeev said:

How do you rotate staggered tires? Do you even know what staggered tires mean?

English reading comprehension is your friend: "automaker with square tire setup (same-size tires on both axles)"
Comprende, muchacho?

Good point. Most higher level BMW probably have staggered tires too. My last five cars including two Tesla all have staggered tires. Someone who claims he has owned performance cars before does not seem to know it.

Some cars have staggered (varying size) tires and/or wheels on front and rear axles.
Some cars have square (sane size) tires on front and rear axles.

For obvious reasons, the former don't lend themselves to tire rotation between axles.
Clear enough?

palm face.jpg

a

Tire companies do want you to set foot in their stores often so you could be a future customers. It will also give them a chance the tell you rotation would not do you need a new set of tires.

Reactions: bhzmark
Is the Model 3 like the Model S where you simply swap the tires front to back? Or do you need to lift the entire car and do a cross pattern? If it's like the Model S just about anyone should be able to do this at home very quickly. I need to do this soon also.
Car has radial tires, front to back on the same side. Never crossed. That was for bias ply way back when.

They are charging you for shop time.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlK
I buy all my tires from American Tires. Regardless if you purchase the tires from them, they will rotate the tires for free.
If you ask nicely, they might even balance the tires. My model 3 just went over 7 k miles.
I took it to American Tire and they rotated my tires for FREE. Yes the wait was a little longer, so what - I was in my car watching a movie on Netflix. What you want to do is have a set of jack pad for them to use. Also let them know the torque should be 129 ft/lb.

In the Tesla manual, it says to rotate the tires every 6,250 miles. I just touched 6K, and called my local service center today to see about a tire rotation. They said they can do it, for $75.

Huh? I waited 2 years and spent $50,000, you're seriously going to charge me SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS to rotate the tires.?

I shouldn't be surprised, knowing it is Tesla, but this is outrageous.

I wouldn't want to take it to a normal tire shop, as they won't know the jack points, or probably the lug nut torques.

I could do it myself, but I don't have 2 jacks to use at once. An what about getting the tire pressure sensors reset, to read the correct wheels?

Most S/C's charge $150, you got a decent deal.

• Disagree
Reactions: dvaz