Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$75.00 Parking Ticket in Denver for Not Having Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are no meters on this street. Just a regular residential street a couple of blocks away from the Kaiser office on Franklin. It was not one of those resident-only areas either. That is what bothered me. The car was legally parked, and some parking officer happened to drive by and notice no front plate, so they stopped and wrote me a $75.00 ticket, simply to generate some revenue for the City and County of Denver. I would have had much less of a problem with it if I was illegally parked, and the officer stopped for that reason, and then added on the no front plate ticket for good measure (since I would have had done something "bad" to attract the attention).

I could care less about the $75.00. I am still debating about whether to have the Denver SC install the front plate holder or not. Maybe I can lay the front plate on the dash if I ever need to park in Denver again... :)

I also hate front plates on my sportier vehicles, and particularly hate those front plate mounts that require tapping into soft bumpers for the license mount.

I've lived in Colorado since '85, and have pretty much always had at least one vehicle without a front plate. In that entire time, I have never had local police, state patrol, or a sheriff bother me for not having a front plate. Not even if I was pulled over for some other reason. LEO's in Colorado seemingly could care less about a front plate.

Meter maids, however, are a different story. They are relentless! They will scan every car on their route for plate violations and love to ticket otherwise legally parked cars with those whopper front plate tickets. Within the Denver city limits in particular.

And no, putting a front plate on your dash will still get you a meter-maid issued ticket in Denver. They will ticket you just as happily for 'improperly mounted' plates and expired registration as well.

Now I'll pretty much always park in a private lot in Denver rather than on the street if I'm in a front-plate-less vehicle. Even if I pay for parking, cheaper in the long run!

I don't know about Colorado, I've been pulled over in Texas by the DPS (State Police) only because I didn't have a front plate. This was on a divided interstate-type highway with a 70mph speed limit in fact. I had just bought the vehicle and the plate was behind the windshield because I was waiting for the front mounting bracket to come in. I had mounted the rear plate the night before. If there was another reason for pulling me over, he didn't say anything about it. He gave me a written warning, and a verbal warning saying that he would be watching to make sure that I put the plate on. Sure enough, the very next day he pulled up along side, pulled forward to see that the plate was mounted, then dropped back and gave me a thumbs-up.

Oh my gosh! You got a stickler on you, don't you? I haven't had a front plate on three cars across ten years. I've gotten two tickets and two warning in that time (not for the plate) and none of the cops (male and female) have ever commented on the lack of front plate. When I was stopped by a cop standing in a turn lane for my expired inspection sticker, she actually went to the front to get my plate number, then just proceeded to the rear plate. No comments. Just the sticker ticket mam.

One day I may get some expert police assistance with mounting my front plate that I carry in my cargo area. That would probably go over much better for us girls, 'eh?