Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75? 100? 75? 100? ARGHHH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the math a little differently. Flying is cheap, and saves you far more time. $18k saved is a lot of money one can use for airfair over the course of 4 to 6 years. 100D is a huge savings of time over a 75D on road-trips, but for the shorter 4 - 6 hour drives it doesn’t matter as much, and for anything longer drives, flying is generally far faster than driving a 100D (with a long-list of exceptions where there aren’t convenient direct flights).

If it’s easy money, get the 100D, no question. If it’s a stretch, and you don’t plan to do road-trips, 75D is more than enough.
Yeah, but driving a Tesla is similar to flying First Class. Did you take into account the cost of first-class tickets?? ;)

I did the math a little differently. Flying is cheap, and saves you far more time. $18k saved is a lot of money one can use for airfair over the course of 4 to 6 years. 100D is a huge savings of time over a 75D on road-trips, but for the shorter 4 - 6 hour drives it doesn’t matter as much, and for anything longer drives, flying is generally far faster than driving a 100D (with a long-list of exceptions where there aren’t convenient direct flights).

If it’s easy money, get the 100D, no question. If it’s a stretch, and you don’t plan to do road-trips, 75D is more than enough.
I agree. The wife however wants to show off the X to everyone else. And she saw all those horrible things happening on planes and decided driving would be great. She also wants to drive to Oklahoma and camp in the back of the X. We ordered a five seater...with the second row down I think we can do it. if we are plugged into a NEMA 14-50 plug so we can run the AC!

Reactions: Cowby
I ahve driven Leaf for many years and now Tesla for around 30k miles, I can tell you a little secret: Range is King

I don't care if my car has 4 wheels but I would not compromise on the range (if I can afford), and then of course AP.

Reactions: Cowby

Thanks you. This is what I've been trying to say. I love road trips but more and more I'm realizing I love the "idea" of road trips. Out on the open road, the scenery, the privacy, the enjoyment of your own "first class" cabin, your own schedule, etc. etc.

But then there's the reality. Especially here in Texas (sorry Texans but I've lived in scenic Seattle and California) where there's nothing but flat endless desolate dirt and fields. There's cheap hotels, bad fast food and sketchy small towns with speed traps as main source of income. Not to mention hours and hours of just driving rather than walking through a new city, exploring new restaurants and museums or even just sitting with a mojito on the beach.

18K can buy a lot of plane tickets. I know I sound like a hypocrite since I bought a 100D. It was 50/50 for me though. I can't tell you how many times I changed the config during the 7 day period between order and order confirmed. I'm just not in the camp of the majority of the folks on this thread which suggests it is a no-brainer. Even if you have the money. I paid cash for my X 100D. I have the money. But I could also have also put that money towards something else. I now feel (self) pressured, to do more road trips since I optimized for the last 5%.

More and more, I'm thinking I should have bought the 75D and then in 5 years upgrade the next "sweet spot" in value. That may be 100D when the 120D comes out.

But hey, this is what's great about these threads. Everyone has a different perspective, preferences and lifestyles.

Thanks you. This is what I've been trying to say. I love road trips but more and more I'm realizing I love the "idea" of road trips. Out on the open road, the scenery, the privacy, the enjoyment of your own "first class" cabin, your own schedule, etc. etc.

But then there's the reality. Especially here in Texas (sorry Texans but I've lived in scenic Seattle and California) where there's nothing but flat endless desolate dirt and fields. There's cheap hotels, bad fast food and sketchy small towns with speed traps as main source of income. Not to mention hours and hours of just driving rather than walking through a new city, exploring new restaurants and museums or even just sitting with a mojito on the beach.

18K can buy a lot of plane tickets. I know I sound like a hypocrite since I bought a 100D. It was 50/50 for me though. I can't tell you how many times I changed the config during the 7 day period between order and order confirmed. I'm just not in the camp of the majority of the folks on this thread which suggests it is a no-brainer. Even if you have the money. I paid cash for my X 100D. I have the money. But I could also have also put that money towards something else. I now feel (self) pressured, to do more road trips since I optimized for the last 5%.

More and more, I'm thinking I should have bought the 75D and then in 5 years upgrade the next "sweet spot" in value. That may be 100D when the 120D comes out.

But hey, this is what's great about these threads. Everyone has a different perspective, preferences and lifestyles.

INVENTORY 90D. I-N-V-E-N-T-O-R-Y 9-0-D.

:)

I also coulda' paid cash, and I bet many of us on this BB coulda' done so.

Everything you said means you NEEDED a 100; Desolate areas, long spaces of flat deserted terrain, limited charging possibilities. "Everything is bigger in Texas", including the risk of running out of charge alone on a highway in the middle of nowhere. Don't kid yerself, you NEEDED a 100. So do I. "Range anxiety" is a real thing and a real problem. You can do without many things in a vehicle. The ONE THING you can't do without is the ability to make the vehicle roll the wheels.

MHO...YMMV

Reactions: Cowby and rjdoc74
I also coulda' paid cash, and I bet many of us on this BB coulda' done so.

Everything you said means you NEEDED a 100; Desolate areas, long spaces of flat deserted terrain, limited charging possibilities. "Everything is bigger in Texas", including the risk of running out of charge alone on a highway in the middle of nowhere. Don't kid yerself, you NEEDED a 100. So do I. "Range anxiety" is a real thing and a real problem. You can do without many things in a vehicle. The ONE THING you can't do without is the ability to make the vehicle roll the wheels.

MHO...YMMV

Actually, if you look on Supercharger.info, it isn't true. Texas seems to be a state where Tesla focuses on for superchargers. It appears to have the most superchargers than any other state other than California. About 26 so far and one is under construction in Austin and Dallas is permitted, scheduled for October. Odd for Tesla as Texas is so unfriendly to Tesla. Maybe that's the point. Focus on winning over consumers.

When I got my Model S, it was a 60. We did road trips to both Galveston and Austin no problem. There are superchargers every 100 miles and destination chargers at hotels. In a 60, I never had any range anxiety. I have since upgraded to a 75 not because I needed it but because I was worried that Tesla would raise the price after they dropped it to $2k. We have seen with unlimited supercharging that Tesla can giveth and Tesla can taketh away. Maybe that would have been the perfect compromise. Save the $2k and have a S60 and a X100 :)

I still think this comes down to whether you owned a Nissan Leaf prior to Tesla. Coming from Leaf to Tesla, I have zero range anxiety.

I'm not debating a 100 is great for road trips. I'm saying that I'm not sure I prefer road trips with ANY car over having $18K. So, I guess I'm saying, if you will do road trips regularly, prefer it over flying, buy the 100. If you don't and it is an around the town car, get the 75. In the DFW area, everything is within a 30-50 mile radius.

Actually, if you look on Supercharger.info, it isn't true. Texas seems to be a state where Tesla focuses on for superchargers. It appears to have the most superchargers than any other state other than California. About 26 so far and one is under construction in Austin and Dallas is permitted, scheduled for October. Odd for Tesla as Texas is so unfriendly to Tesla. Maybe that's the point. Focus on winning over consumers.

I haven't seen any recent numbers but a couple of years ago Texas was in the top 5 states for Tesla ownership. Despite the pressures from the Texas government to stop them, Tesla still sells a lot of cars there. On top of having a fiarly large number of Teslas in the state, Texas is also a state people drive through going other places and in the winter cross country traffic shifts southward because people who have a choice of which highway to take opt for the one least likely to have snow and ice, so it makes sense it will have a lot of superchargers.

While forum posts bring to light a lot of reasons to buy one battery size vs. another, it most always comes down to the individual circumstances and values.

While one will prefer range, because they intend to take a lot of road trips, and supercharging will be a time consideration, the other will be doing 99% Urban/County driving, and charging at home will make range a non-issue.

Price is significant. While bigger batteries save Supercharging time, at $14,000 battery upgrade costs, that will take a lot of time to justify, even at $100 personal time costs.

Others will have a spouse unwilling to accept any accomodation to an EV. They want gas flexibility and range, and will balk at anything else.

This is why Tesla offers battery choices. Customers are encouraged to buy the one that makes the most sense for their individual circumstances.

If you take lots of road trips, and there are few superchargers along your choosen route, a big battery is the way to go

If you are on a budget, mostly charge at home, and want a bit lighter car, then the 75 will get the job done.

How often do you plan to do these trips that the 100D can save you ~5 hours compared to the 75D? If it's twice a year for 5 years, you will have saved 50 hours of time and spent $17k for that privilege. That's $340 per hour. Only you can decide whether that is a good financial tradeoff.

Personally for me we don't do many long distance driving trips and went with the MX60D. If we do end up doing a medium distance trip once or twice a year - I'll sleep well knowing that I may have to spend an extra hour or two at the supercharger and but also knowing that I saved $20k+ on the price of the car.
If you are only looking at a 5 year horizon, you should also take into account the higher residual/resale value of the 100. So it might cost you more like 10 K rather than 17 K.

Reactions: Cowby and TJtv
My thinking on purchasing an EV is that you first get the largest battery you can afford, and then get any other items if it's within the budget. A larger battery:

- should charge faster (to any given range) because the load is spread over more cells.
- gives you a better margin for those times you are going off the SC network.
- has more life before replacement is required.

The number of people (based on some other threads) who regret buying the larger battery is very small compared to the number of people who said they would get a larger battery if they were to do it over.

• Informative
Reactions: nogassnorlax
IMG_0113.jpg
I just want to point out this. 90D is not 90kw it's 86kw and usable 82kw. People argue the 90 is a model. Well here is Tesla's advertising and this is why I'd get the 100D because it's 102kw and 98kw usable.

Source: Model X 90D 5YJXCDE22HF049981 | Tesla

Also, looking on the build sheet for the 75 vs the 100, I don't think you can get the high amp charger for the 75. That means that the 100 can charge 50% faster an where there is a HWPC. Including destination chargers, and of course you can have one installed at home. I guess it comes back to time, but if you are low, and have somewhere to go, you can charge the 100 quicker at 72 amps instead of 48 amps (with the right set up)

If you are only looking at a 5 year horizon, you should also take into account the higher residual/resale value of the 100. So it might cost you more like 10 K rather than 17 K.

This is not the first time I've heard this said and while it sounds good to me, it is also counter-intuitive to me. Why do folks here believe the 75 will depreciate at a higher rate than the 100? Less appeal because range is king? High rate of battery degradation?

I would think a lower price will almost always bring in a bigger audience. A $30K car will have a lot more buyers than a $50K car. Hence I would say the lower priced car would have more price stabilization. Look at how many model 3 reservations are out there.

In terms of battery degradation, there are lots of threads here that claim 5% degradation over 5+ years. That difference is nominal.

I believe in the resale market the difference will not be $17K. It will be less. Which means the 75 held its value better. What am I not considering here?