Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Articulate note taking. Nicely done. A couple of questions...
  • Could it have been PerformanceAddOn?
    0 = Standard
    1 = Ludicrous
    2 = Derated
    3 = Uncorked
  • If you see your ranger friend could you ask for details about the errors that enabling Ludicrous throws for a S75D? Whether they are battery related, motor related or something else? Thermal limits maybe? Whether the errors are thrown just after it is enabled or only when the components performance limits are reached? I am especially interested in what errors would happen on an S75D 400v 1500A BTX8 battery. If only the European rangers were so talkative. Or what would happen on an uncorked non-P S100D set to ludicrous.
  • Curious if anyone has read the engineering notes on uncorking.
Thanks for posting

There are actual hardware differences between ludicrous cars and non-L. AFAIK, pyrofuse, front body, and suspension differences. So while the 75D "hardware" difference was pure myth, I do believe a L vs. Non-L hardware difference will prevent performance boosting. I do think these hardware differences can be overcome but it might not be worth it (or safe) to try otherwise.

I'm interested to know how long the uncorking procedure took. I've read here there are multiple downloads, reboots, etc.

Took about 2 hours. But he was working remotely with a horrible connection and he did not have VPN access like the normal rangers do since he was a in house tech filling in as a ranger which made the process longer. Had to call in and have someone else push updates over the air and relied on notifications to my phone to tell him when certain things were ready. Granted I was already on the latest software because I had visited the shop a couple days prior so it was faster on that account. If I had to download the latest build as well it would of taken way longer. It does take multiple restarts and adjustments throughout the process.

• Informative
Reactions: jjh1234
so 60d is uncorkable they just want to get the 2k from cheap bastards like us 1st..lol...too bad...Maybe in the future they will offer it or cut the price to 1k eventually...who knows....seesm like we are one of only a dozen left who have not unlocked the battery to 75 yet...

Seems that way. I think they are trying to entice every 60kwh owner out there to unlock to 75kwh to further differentiate from MS and M3. That is just my guess though. Same reason they upped the speed too probably.

What was tone about 60D cars? Any hope in getting it without upgrading?

I would say only from a uneducated SC where they were not paying attention to the size or didn't check the system for eligibility because I am pretty sure all the 60Ds are flagged as not uncorkable. Even if the SC doesn't know why. If you can get a tech/SC to just attempt to perform the uncorking without checking anything then I don't see why it would not take from what he said. Remember I am operating off of what a tech said not the actually engineers at Tesla's HQ. So while knowledgable not the end all be all on the subject.

I know for sure my brothers 60D-75D was uncorked. It's a Feb 2017 RHD built in Freemont CA I believe, delivered in Australia as 60D and later upgraded.
I'm still waiting for eligibility on my 75D March 2017. Ineligible before and after upgrade to 75 but I will push further with SC

I agree. I would say escalate the request to HQ/Corporate. I do not see why not. What they will do is elevate it to a team that they fully evaluate your car individually instead of go off of a list and see if it's eligible. If they still say no then I guess you are screwed. At that point I would ask for what specific item is keeping you from uncorking and report back so we can add that to our tracker.

Articulate note taking. Nicely done. A couple of questions...
  • Could it have been PerformanceAddOn?
    0 = Standard
    1 = Ludicrous
    2 = Derated
    3 = Uncorked
  • If you see your ranger friend could you ask for details about the errors that enabling Ludicrous throws for a S75D? Whether they are battery related, motor related or something else? Thermal limits maybe? Whether the errors are thrown just after it is enabled or only when the components performance limits are reached? I am especially interested in what errors would happen on an S75D 400v 1500A BTX8 battery. If only the European rangers were so talkative. Or what would happen on an uncorked non-P S100D set to ludicrous.
  • Curious if anyone has read the engineering notes on uncorking.
Thanks for posting

So the option was on his screen, not sure what the title was but on the bottom left corner of his laptop it showed a drop down that said Standard/Uncorked/Ludicrous. I did not see Derated as an option. Which is what triggered me to ask if that was even possible to make mine Ludicrous. From his description it's because of the larger motor in the back for P versions but did not elaborate if there was any other bottlenecks or constraints. I do not know him personally and I am pretty sure he will avoid me like the plague if he ever sees me again with all the questions I bombarded him with, but how often do you get some 1-on-1 time with a tech to absorb all the possible knowledge you can from them. So I might of taken advantage of it lol. He stated it will put the car in to limp mode as soon as certain limits are exceeded and that was about it. So I would assume he could enable it and I could drive around normal with no issue but as soon as I floored it and went over the limits of the hardware (motor for example) it would error out and go in to limp mode. Again remember rear motor on a P version is larger and can take more.

One thing I noticed was that at freeway speeds when I was below 20% I had actually lost power. I don't remember if that happened prior to uncorking or not. Plus there was this little bump of sorts when flooring it from 75mph. It seemed to go away and power returned when I charged back up to the green. Anyone know if that was there before uncorking? I don't remember said "bump" or loss of power but I might be wrong. Also I was in the orange not red if that matters at all.

I agree. I would say escalate the request to HQ/Corporate. I do not see why not. What they will do is elevate it to a team that they fully evaluate your car individually instead of go off of a list and see if it's eligible. If they still say no then I guess you are screwed. At that point I would ask for what specific item is keeping you from uncorking and report back so we can add that to our tracker.
Ok I have good news!
After being told my car was not eligible by two service centres and as 60D and after upgrade to 75D being told no by both sevice centres again. I sent an escalation email via Mytesla, didn't hear back for a couple of days. Just received a call from a very knowlegable service advisor to advise that they have been contacted by escalation team and that my car will be Uncorked tomorrow at my service appointment. I guess Tesla head office had to update service of 75D upgrade as car is still listed as 60D on Mytesla. What an amazing company!

Tracker information:
March 17 build, delivered April RHD Australia as 60D, Vin 190xxx, 75D upgrade purchased late October 17, Mennekes charge port. charger not upgraded, SAS, PUP, EAP, Sunroof

Last edited:
Ok I have good news!
After being told my car was not eligible by two service centres and as 60D and after upgrade to 75D being told no by both sevice centres again. I sent an escalation email via Mytesla, didn't hear back for a couple of days. Just received a call from a very knowlegable service advisor to advise that they have been contacted by escalation team and that my car will be Uncorked tomorrow at my service appointment. I guess Tesla head office had to update service of 75D upgrade as car is still listed as 60D on Mytesla. What an amazing company!

Tracker information:
March 17 build, delivered April RHD Australia as 60D, Vin 190xxx, 75D upgrade purchased late October 17, Mennekes charge port. charger not upgraded, SAS, PUP, EAP, Sunroof
Congrats Mate! You'll love it.

Just had my 75 updated today through a ranger visit to my office (though I'm only a mile or two away from the service center, they wanted to send someone to me) and it took about 30 minutes. Only had a chance to drive home but didn't notice anything much different (too much traffic to really test it).

I could only get between 4.1 and 4.2 with a SoC 90%. Never below 4.1.

What is more mysterious for me is the Kw output people are getting , at 350+?
I only get around 330..

Regardless, no complaints here

Maybe optimal battery temp.must be reached for optimal output similar to the way P Ludicrous cars precondition/ prewarm their batteries before maximum output can be achieved. I did my test (354kW) right after leaving a super charger which apparently warms the battery significantly.

Maybe optimal battery temp.must be reached for optimal output similar to the way P Ludicrous cars precondition/ prewarm their batteries before maximum output can be achieved. I did my test (354kW) right after leaving a super charger which apparently warms the battery significantly.

The BMS has some CAN signals that report max discharge/regen.. this was with around 79% SoC on my uncorked 75D:
F14CAEEA-7EFD-4A57-9E41-4E4CFC14514A.jpeg

I’ll try again tomorrow with 100% SoC and see what I get.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jeff2332
Ok I have good news!

Tracker information:

Nice! Congrats!!!!

Just had my 75 updated today through a ranger visit to my office (though I'm only a mile or two away from the service center, they wanted to send someone to me) and it took about 30 minutes. Only had a chance to drive home but didn't notice anything much different (too much traffic to really test it).

It's that above and beyond service Tesla provides. They come to you! You should definitely notice a difference. I you don't bring it back in or give them a call. They can check remotely.