Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You missed the point. Your example does not apply here as that was a hardware difference

Disagree. A change is a change. You bought a 5s to 60mph car, period, you didn't buy a 4s car, because you wanted to save $20K, your choice. Software or no, you got what you paid for. So I got your point, software only change, that's what you believe (but can't prove), and you paid exactly for the performance you received. Your point is that you want more than you paid for...

Logically, owners of 75's saved money not getting the 90 which had the better performance because the $AVING$ was more important than the better range and much better performance.

Be happy with your choice. You made that choice. Tesla didn't force you to save that money on the upgrade, they gave you options, you picked one, and must have been happy enough to click purchase on what is already a premium priced vehicle.
Don't make assumptions that generalize the buying population. You don't know what they were thinking. I instead spent the money I could have used to get a 90 on EAP and FSD for a 75. I made the choice, yes, but it wasn't really about savings. I did not need the range and I did not need the additional acceleration of the 90. I however, did not get what I paid for in terms of EAP, and it is highly dubious as to whether I will get what I paid for with FSD (level 5) during the lifecycle of the car.

I think that you're missing the point here. Many people, like me, are happy with the acceleration on the 75 and Tesla met the advertised claim when they sold the car to us. All good on that particular feature.

Now would we like the faster performance on the current 75s? Sure thing. Would we have an issue if it involved new hardware that was not available when we bought our cars? Not at all. Would we have an issue if Tesla started upgrading inventory cars that were manufactured at the same time our cars were? Definitely and that's why you are seeing a 1,400 post thread on this.

Disagree. A change is a change. You bought a 5s to 60mph car, period, you didn't buy a 4s car, because you wanted to save $20K, your choice. Software or no, you got what you paid for. So I got your point, software only change, that's what you believe (but can't prove), and you paid exactly for the performance you received. Your point is that you want more than you paid for...
I get your point but that's not what we are talking about here. Also I don't know why you are referencing me with so many "you". I have been speaking in general toward Tesla practice and Tesla owners and this has nothing to do with me. I have 60D with AP1 from 2016 so I don't expect anything to be done there. So your last point is compeletely invalid and is getting a little bit rude.

I propose we separate this thread into two. One lead by SmartElectric or someone equally passionate and competent to discuss the following:
  1. Why Tesla should uncork the older cars for free
  2. Why Tesla should uncork the older cars for a price and what that price should be
  3. Why Tesla should not confuse the positioning of the car with major performance updates
  4. How to get Tesla to respond
Maybe call the thread "Disagreement with Performance Unlocking Policy". I respect those opinions. I don't share the above views but I am happy to gather data that would be useful to them.

I propose we leave this thread for a discussion about how the unlocking works and what the stated and actual policy is.

Anyone willing to lead the other? SmartElectric? I will ask a moderator to weigh in.

Last edited:
I bought an S60. 0-60 5.7 seconds. Upgraded the battery to 75 kW. Wanted the additional range and performance increase that came with it. (0-5.2). Range extension great however performance was not upgraded. I went to the SC and was told that only the range was increased. Pretty upsetting. The RWD 60 has the same drive unit as the RWD 75 & RWD 85 so only a firmware upgrade should be required, not to mention that it should handle the latest performance upgrade.
Apparently neither upgrade will be made available.

I paid for the battery upgrade, should have been the whole package. When I sell the car is it a S60 with upgraded battery or an S75 with S60 performance. Let the buyer beware? Doesn't seem right, all badging on entire car was changed to S75 by SC.

The SC's cannot upgrade the performances unless the software engineers specifically write it for the model it is intended for. So far no love for the early 2017 models. Fingers crossed. I still love the car.

I bought an S60. 0-60 5.7 seconds. Upgraded the battery to 75 kW. Wanted the additional range and performance increase that came with it. (0-5.2). Range extension great however performance was not upgraded. I went to the SC and was told that only the range was increased. Pretty upsetting. The RWD 60 has the same drive unit as the RWD 75 & RWD 85 so only a firmware upgrade should be required, not to mention that it should handle the latest performance upgrade.
Apparently neither upgrade will be made available.

I paid for the battery upgrade, should have been the whole package. When I sell the car is it a S60 with upgraded battery or an S75 with S60 performance. Let the buyer beware? Doesn't seem right, all badging on entire car was changed to S75 by SC.

The SC's cannot upgrade the performances unless the software engineers specifically write it for the model it is intended for. So far no love for the early 2017 models. Fingers crossed. I still love the car.
I believe that the 5.2s 0-60 on the earlier HW2 60/75s is tied to the dual motors, not the battery configuration (60 v 75). Upgrading a S60 to a S75 does not involve faster acceleration. Just like upgrading the S60D to the S75D has no impact on acceleration.

@Swift
You are correct about the times, my mistake. My real focus is on the ability of the car as it relates to the current performance upgrades that we are discussing Sorry.

My point was that the firmware has different ways to increase acceleration on these cars and those program requirements must be sent to the SC's before they can help. IMO as I can't get a straightforward answer one way or another.

@Swift
You are correct about the times, my mistake. My real focus is on the ability of the car as it relates to the current performance upgrades that we are discussing Sorry.

My point was that the firmware has different ways to increase acceleration on these cars and those program requirements must be sent to the SC's before they can help. IMO as I can't get a straightforward answer one way or another.
No worries. Just wanted to clarify. I hope they extend the added acceleration as an upgrade if it can be done via software to keep the cars competitive with the M3s.

Buying a car shouldn't be like buying a stock, requiring one to time the purchase in real time. For a major update like this, there needs to be a heads-up announcement.

The argument that "I was happy when I signed up to buy the car" is based on the assumption that I had complete information to make my decision. I wasn't expecting to be blind-sighted by something that was coming a week after I took delivery.

I really want to support this amazing company based in my own city, but the way they handled (or mishandled) this roll-out is absolutely lousy.

I think there are many assumptions here that the perf update is SW only. I think, and as tesla clarified, there is both changed in HW and SW.
The critical point here is that if Tesla is upgrading pre-June cars out of inventory that clearly have the older drive unit, then it is clearly something that can be done to other cars built around that time. Their inability to provide clarity on that practice is what has a 1,400 post thread going strong here.

Reactions: Canuck9000
Sorry if I offended. Not my intention. Replace "you" with "any owner who wants what they didn't pay for", that was my stated intent.
Which misses the point of this thread and assumes that owners want this for free. People just want information and Tesla is sending mixed messages as it upgrades older cars outside of what it communicated. I'm sure if they offered the feature between 2 and 5k, people would pay for it. But their goal is to get you to buy a new car no matter what they have to say (free supercharging is ending, EAP is silky smooth, FSD features in 3-6 months, performance upgrade is impossible in cars pre-June 2017) so don't count on ever seeing it whether it's doable or not.

Reactions: Canuck9000
Which misses the point of this thread and assumes that owners want this for free. People just want information

and right after...

I'll take upgrade for free

Which is why I keep replying to highlight that owners got the 0-60 performance advertised when they bought. Demanding a free or even paid upgrade be made available when the option to get that performance at purchase was already available, and the owners that didn't choose it should not expect an option now, post purchase.

Do we have solid proof that they are updating older cars (pre June 2017) ?

All we have is some typos on description and one person claiming he has new performance on an older car.

I'd like to say that unless we have solid evidence, we should put down the pitchforks.
I think we should put down the pitchforks, or at least move them to another thread, but we have documented this well in the performance metrics database. Tesla has been updating older cars since July 1st, first in Australia and Europe, and now in the US.

Reactions: rsan