Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took deliver of my 75D over the weekend. I have been told that AWD cars is a software only update. RWD is new hardware as well.

A tech at the service center said there would be a software upgrade to enable these quicker times and it would be available to all.

Not sure if this is true but offers some hope.

Regardless this is the most amazing car with or without the faster 0-60

I hope this is true!

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic and Anssi
Ok, now that is NOT what my, and three other's DS have said. My 75D has a production date of 12th of June, and they're telling us that all 75D's DELIVERED after 1st of July has the upgrade. I've got this in writing, where Tesla confirms that my car had the performance enhancement.
Now, how will you verify that at or after delivery? Know any current 75D owners who want to race you?

I don't believe it is. They have been installing new drive units.

Why install new drive units for dual motor 75 when the drive units already used is the exact same as on 85D/90D/100D? They can do 0-60 same time on a heavier car.

75 rwd most likely have a new drive unit. 75D only SW and maybe new battery contactor/fuse similar to the computer controlled ludicrous. So they can draw more amperage to compensate for the lower voltage on 75 battery compared to the 85/90/100 battery. 350V vs 400V.
The fuse and contactor is easy replaced from under the battery package when the car have the 2.0 battery case in 10-15 min.

How likely is it that Tesla will replace the drive units on the undelivered cars and cars delivered from 01.07.17 (07.01.17) Not very likely so I think we can say the drive units are the same since it was only the 75rwd where Tesla did say a specific production date ;)

Why install new drive units for dual motor 75 when the drive units already used is the exact same as on 85D/90D/100D? They can do 0-60 same time on a heavier car.

75 rwd most likely have a new drive unit. 75D only SW and maybe new battery contactor/fuse similar to the computer controlled ludicrous. So they can draw more amperage to compensate for the lower voltage on 75 battery compared to the 85/90/100 battery. 350V vs 400V.
The fuse and contactor is easy replaced from under the battery package when the car have the 2.0 battery case in 10-15 min.

How likely is it that Tesla will replace the drive units on the undelivered cars and cars delivered from 01.07.17 (07.01.17) Not very likely so I think we can say the drive units are the same since it was only the 75rwd where Tesla did say a specific production date ;)

Tesla upgrades its electric motor on the road to have powertrains lasting 1 million miles

That's why. You need to remember that the 85/90/100 run at 400V vs 350V on the 75.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla upgrades its electric motor on the road to have powertrains lasting 1 million miles

That's why. You need to remember that the 85/90/100 run at 400V vs 350V on the 75.
That article has the configuration of the motors wrong. The D cars use two of the small motors, not a big rear and a small front. They said that only the cars with the new big rear motor would receive the performance upgrade, but this is clearly not the case since the 70D with two small motors received it. The 350 volt vs 400 volts could be handled by drawing more current from the 350 volt pack so that they both provided the same maximum power. Power is volts times amps.

That article has the configuration of the motors wrong. The D cars use two of the small motors, not a big rear and a small front. They said that only the cars with the new big rear motor would receive the performance upgrade, but this is clearly not the case since the 70D with two small motors received it. The 350 volt vs 400 volts could be handled by drawing more current from the 350 volts pack so that they both provided the same maximum power.
I can confirm you the 90D gets the upgrade as well. From what I understand, every non-P cars get the hardware and software upgrade.

Yes did write in my reply 75 is 350V vs 400 so why do I have to remember it? :p

Still same motors, just need a little more ampere to get the same power and that is fuse/battery thing, not motors.

The article is full of errors as TIppy did write.

electrek.co is no way a trusted source. The 1 million drive unit was news almost 2 years ago.
Musk: “we want drive units that just never wear out” – Tesla targets powertrains lasting 1 million miles

90D already had that performance, and I don't think you'll be able to convince them to build a 90D after July 1st.
First off, the performance upgrades are applicable all the way from the S75 to the 100D (as reported accurately by Electrek). I emailed my DS to confirm they would apply it to my 90D I've ordered but has not entered yet production (will enter production in September) and it will indeed receive the upgraded motor.

I checked the spec and indeed my 90D is spec'd with a DU00.

As I said, I ordered my 90D June 8th, and it will enter production in September so yes, they will still be producing 90Ds for still awhile now.

Keep in mind, the upgrade was first and foremost an upgrade to 1 million miles powertrains which is why it was a broad range upgrade to ALL non-P cars. The byproduct of this was also an improvement in performance and possibly even efficiency.

The latter would be confirmed later if EPA revises the rated ranges for non-P cars.

First off, the performance upgrades are applicable all the way from the S75 to the 100D (as reported accurately by Electrek). I emailed my DS to confirm they would apply it to my 90D I've ordered but has not entered yet production (will enter production in September) and it will indeed receive the upgraded motor.

I checked the spec and indeed my 90D is spec'd with a DU00.

As I said, I ordered my 90D June 8th, and it will enter production in September so yes, they will still be producing 90Ds for still awhile now.
Doesn't change the fact that the 90D already has the performance, so the new DU is not going to increase your performance.

You may find in September that Tesla will tell you they don't have any 90Kwh batteries in inventory. They will try to move you to either a 100Kwh battery or a 75 Kwh battery. This has happened to others who have delayed production past the discontinuation of an option.

Question is why would old cars get the software only upgrade, even if it was possible... so tesla has to deal with extra strain on their warranted cars.

Do not see this happening... hope I am wrong.

Since purchasing my car in sept 2016 the only thing faster is my FWD, but now they creak...

Doesn't change the fact that the 90D already has the performance, so the new DU is not going to increase your performance.

You may find in September that Tesla will tell you they don't have any 90Kwh batteries in inventory. They will try to move you to either a 100Kwh battery or a 75 Kwh battery. This has happened to others who have delayed production past the discontinuation of an option.
Though marginal, even the 100D has an incremental boost in performance 4.1s vs 4.2s previously. The same goes for the 90D.

For the rest, we'll cross the bridge when we get to the river.

• Funny
I spoke with my DS yesterday and was told it was all MS's starting on June 19th. I went into production on June 12th and apparently missed it on a MS75. Vin starting in 203..

I drove a loaner X75D that they recently put into service as a demo/loaner yesterday that was undoubtedly one of these new version. its night and day, if you have ever driven a S90D, the new X75D is easily as responsive and feels identical in terms of acceleration. Its night and day from my Dec. 2016 Model X. Its crazy how far they have come so fast. I cant imagine how peppy the S75D will be or the Model 3 with the same drive unit?

Reactions: Anssi and Piney999
Though marginal, even the 100D has an incremental boost in performance 4.1s vs 4.2s previously. The same goes for the 90D.

For the rest, we'll cross the bridge when we get to the river.
Could be 4.201 to 4.199. They could also increase the current from the bigger batteries with a new contactor/fuse, but there's not much more power to extract from the two small motors. Or they could have tweeked the acceleration curve somewhat with new software, although I don't see how since they almost instantaneously use maximum torque during full acceleration.

I can see a new part number for the DU if they have installed new longer life bearings and added other changes to increase durability.

Last edited:
they're telling us that all 75D's DELIVERED after 1st of July has the upgrade.

I can almost guarantee that that is wrong. (Delivery date really means nothing since transport time varies so much.)

That is unless they managed to deliver all of the cars produced pre 6/19, or what-ever the actual cut-off is, before 7/1. (Which seems unlikely.)

Ok, now that is NOT what my, and three other's DS have said. My 75D has a production date of 12th of June, and they're telling us that all 75D's DELIVERED after 1st of July has the upgrade. I've got this in writing, where Tesla confirms that my car had the performance enhancement.
Can your DS can check it for me if my 75D has the performance enhancement or not? I can give you my VIN number. I have a feeling that my DS is telling me what they are allowed to tell his customers.

That article has the configuration of the motors wrong. The D cars use two of the small motors, not a big rear and a small front. They said that only the cars with the new big rear motor would receive the performance upgrade, but this is clearly not the case since the 70D with two small motors received it. The 350 volt vs 400 volts could be handled by drawing more current from the 350 volt pack so that they both provided the same maximum power. Power is volts times amps.

Under WOT, my S85 pack voltage drops ~80 volts and maintains 1000 amps battery current. Just for the S75 to *match* the maximum power of my S85 it would need to pull 1200 amps assuming the same voltage drop. But of course, the current is higher so the voltage drop will be even greater.

In order to shave 1 s off, Tesla will likely need to source >1300 amps, which means these packs will likely all have ludicrous fuses.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike