Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a new inventory model s 75d built in may vin197xxx. After calling tesla several times and getting different answers I finally decided to get PowerTools and test the car. I'm getting 4.2s 0-60! This makes me feel better after being told a few times from tesla that my car was to old.

Chances are because you took delivery of an inventory model recently, they uncorked it for you.

This peeves me since my MX75D is also a May built but no performance boost via uncorking.

If the older 75s and 75Ds can be uncorked. What is the point of the new drivetrain on the 75D if it can't go further than the 4.2 or whatever?

They seemed to have made a big show for improving the 0-60 down because of new hardware and software update.

I now can connect to my tesla app! The power tools continues to have issues. Mainly it sees my car but when I hit start to do the capture from 0-60, it says connectivity issues. Yes I read the faq. I have 3 bars lte showing on my phone and 2 bars lte in the tesla.

In any case, here is my unofficial results. I believe I do have it. I counted and it was less than 5. It was so quick my vision got blur no joke) like nothing I've ever felt before. I took the closest turn to look at the consumption. Here it is (look at mile 1 that's when I hit it and it looks to be at 900?):

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 69
I've started to interpret the update this way. The S models for 75 and 75D get the upgrade due to hardware and software. Meaning it can be one or the other, or both.

That's important. Because the D models have the dual motors, it probably just needs firmware/software. Rear wheel drive S models might actually need both due to the single motor not being strong enough.

Take it as it is, all I know is that when my delivery happens, I'll test for it. If it works then I will have the earliest produced vehicle to have this, based on this forum.

Reactions: EnjoyingLife
If you can hold off on this for a week I may get an answer. I have an informal escalation going that may shed some light on it.
So I got an answer of sorts. But the group here is not going to like it. You have heard much of it before. The most important line from the reply is consistent with previous Tesla responses and is exactly the same as received by another forum member on this thread more senior than me. This is from a senior person at Tesla:

"The list of vehicles eligible for the performance enhancement is static and we currently do not have any plans to support a path for paid upgrades."

So I got an answer of sorts. But the group here is not going to like it. You have heard much of it before. The most important line from the reply is consistent with previous Tesla responses and is exactly the same as received by another forum member on this thread more senior than me. This is from a senior person at Tesla:

"The list of vehicles eligible for the performance enhancement is static and we currently do not have any plans to support a path for paid upgrades."
My 60D 5.2 secs isn’t bad whatever...

Emphasis on "currently," a word that I wish that they used in 2016 when they said they were ending free supercharging and baited me into buying my car early. That was on top of the FSD video and EAP timeline bs.

Maybe their use of "currently" will work to our advantage. But I doubt it as they want you to sell your car and buy a new one to get that one second. The cars sold metric is more important to them then the revenue gained from charging for it as an upgrade or their ongoing relationship with their customers (aka beta testers).

When I bought my Tesla in December I was pumped about both the car and Tesla as a company. I was excited about having a car company in America for once that produced great, innovative cars.

But now I dislike the company because of their tactics. I'm embarrassed about their behavior and Elon's bs tweets about FSD, silky smooth, etc, etc. Knowing what I know now, I would have at a minimum waited to buy and may not have bought at all.

While that's disappointing I think it's a reasonable policy for Tesla to take.
Sadly, we're not really entitled to any performance improvement. We got the cars we bought, and they are damn good as is.
I (briefly) considered selling my 2016 S75D and buying a higher performing 2017 model. Of course I'm not that crazy, but the fact the impulse was there shows that leaving things as they are is good marketing.

I still hold out hope for a paid upgrade path, but if it doesn't happen my next Model S will do me just fine.

I'd also like to know exactly what the deal is with the European CPO cars. I still suspect a loose database reference, but if not it makes things very interesting.

Emphasis on "currently," a word that I wish that they used in 2016 when they said they were ending free supercharging and baited me into buying my car early. That was on top of the FSD video and EAP timeline bs.

Maybe their use of "currently" will work to our advantage. But I doubt it as they want you to sell your car and buy a new one to get that one second. The cars sold metric is more important to them then the revenue gained from charging for it as an upgrade or their ongoing relationship with their customers (aka beta testers).

When I bought my Tesla in December I was pumped about both the car and Tesla as a company. I was excited about having a car company in America for once that produced great, innovative cars.

But now I dislike the company because of their tactics. I'm embarrassed about their behavior and Elon's bs tweets about FSD, silky smooth, etc, etc. Knowing what I know now, I would have at a minimum waited to buy and may not have bought at all.
I think you are crediting Tesla with nefarious tactics, when I think it's more like making it up as they go along.
They don't have anyone to copy, and are feeling their way through this new market.

I know it looks like some changes coincide with quarterly market pushes, but with 4 quarters a year just about any time could look correlated to a quarter.

they want you to sell your car and buy a new one to get that one second

So, you bought the lowest performance model at the time of purchase, even though there was a faster model available. Tesla delivers what you ordered, in terms of performance. A few months later, for the same price, Tesla now increases performance for new buyers and you are calling them names and assuming nefarious intent. You should have paid the extra for the performance, if that's so important now, you surely made a mistake when you bought and that's not Tesla's fault.

So, you bought the lowest performance model at the time of purchase, even though there was a faster model available. Tesla delivers what you ordered, in terms of performance. A few months later, for the same price, Tesla now increases performance for new buyers and you are calling them names and assuming nefarious intent. You should have paid the extra for the performance, if that's so important now, you surely made a mistake when you bought and that's not Tesla's fault.
To be fair, not everyone can afford the higher performance model.
I agonized over the 90D, or P90D before buying my 75D. I can understand why it stings to pay one's absolute limit for a car, then soon after it is improved.
That feeling of being cheated persists, because of psychology. We attribute personal meaning to things that 'just happen'.

First, I’m curious if you’re a Tesla owner? Shareholder? Now to respond to your post, please reread my post and note that my primary issues with Tesla are around FSD and EAP. Tesla did not deliver what I ordered. And I can assume nothing but nefarious intent at this point based on their actions, misleading statements, and lack of communication about a timeline for what I ordered and paid for. That is Tesla’s fault. 100%. Try running your business the same way. This will catch up to Tesla. They’ve already settled one case. It’s sad and embarrassing. I’d venture it’s almost Trump-like with those tweets. Silky smooth baby. Silky smooth.

I think you are crediting Tesla with nefarious tactics, when I think it's more like making it up as they go along.
They don't have anyone to copy, and are feeling their way through this new market.
I agree that may have been true say from 2010 through let’s say 2014 but they’ve since hired some serious talent and have had some big management consultants working with them. They are very well capitalized. There are also good examples of automakers to copy when it comes to customer communications, marketing, etc.

I agree that may have been true say from 2010 through let’s say 2014 but they’ve since hired some serious talent and have had some big management consultants working with them. They are very well capitalized. There are also good examples of automakers to copy when it comes to customer communications, marketing, etc.
You make a pretty good point.
But Tesla is walking a tightrope as they grow the business. They have to keep up the hype, and hit their numbers every quarter, because it's the only way they will survive. The massive market cap on a relatively small company shows how dependent they are on hype and optimism.
Because of that they can't be completely honest about things like losing MobileEye, otherwise the whole house of cards will collapse. It's better to have a few disgruntled buyers venting on a forum than to admit to major delays on the WSJ.
If it's any consolation, at least your AP will give you plenty of interest as it gets better and better.
My AP1 car, while already good, is not really ever getting much better.

Reactions: Swift
Stupid question alert sorry

Some people are questioning the powertools 0-60 times but who are saying but the power is ***kw. Is the max power actually taken from somewhere accurate other than some kind of algorithm from the 0-60 time?

EDIT - Just seen that the app actually does connect to the car somehow, so it's getting the KW from the car?

Last edited:
...as they want you to sell your car and buy a new one to get that one second. The cars sold metric is more important to them then the revenue gained from charging for it as an upgrade or their ongoing relationship with their customers...
If I had money to burn I would approach Tesla about selling my car back and buying my SAME car back upgraded as a CPO.

I am not sure that it helps Tesla much for current owners to buy new cars and put used Teslas into its CPO pool.

If I had money to burn I would approach Tesla about selling my car back and buying my SAME car back upgraded as a CPO.
Haha me too if it wasn't for sales tax and how Tesla notoriously lowballs offers on used cars. Good for their profits though.
I am not sure that it helps Tesla much for current owners to buy new cars and put used Teslas into its CPO pool.
New car sales are gold no matter if it is new owners or current ones. CPOs are just more revenue. See above point.

These are my feelings almost exactly. I remember all the 'welcome to the family' stuff on delivery day but the way this and other updates are handled is really machiavellian. Even their staff can't provide correct info on the performance update. I had several SC staff try to convince me I'd get the update just to goad another $2k from me. I haven't even upgraded my S60D because right now I have zero faith in what I'm told.

Reactions: Swift

Tesla has contradicted themselves with that statement. If they indeed uncork CPOs then the list of VINs is most definitely not static. This suggests whoever you spoke with wasn't being honest.