Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't bother Fred. Tesla has already answered this. Tesla could uncork the older cars but they don't uncork cars delivered before 1 July unless they were built after June 19th. They do uncork cars delivered after July 1st regardless of when they are built. The list of cars to get the performance upgrade is static (meaning they aren't adding any more) and they don't plan to sell an upgrade to previous owners. Hence inventory, CPO, Demo cars, loaner cars are all getting uncorked, but owners of older cars can't uncork those cars at the moment.
That's the point to get the media attention. They can uncork all cars in their possession but not customer cars even though they are capable of the same upgrade? Are Tesla owners just going to accept it? Last I heard about the ludicrous limitation got customers pretty upset and they filed lawsuit.

Just because Tesla says so does not mean things are that way.

That's the point to get the media attention. They can uncork all cars in their possession but not customer cars even though they are capable of the same upgrade? Are Tesla owners just going to accept it? Last I heard about the ludicrous limitation got customers pretty upset and they filed lawsuit.

Ludicrous is a case where Tesla took something away.

It doesn’t matter if Tesla can upgrade all cars. It’s within their right to limit uncorking to certain vehicles. The car was sold with no promise to upgrade your 0-60 speed in the future. Yes it sucks that Tesla may have the ability to uncork certain cars and won’t.

And you’re certainly within your right to complain about it, but a lawsuit will not change things in this situation.

Then get a news outlet which actually has pull in this world.

Reactions: Swift and Dan60D
...It doesn’t matter if Tesla can upgrade all cars. It’s within their right to limit uncorking to certain vehicles. The car was sold with no promise to upgrade your 0-60 speed in the future. Yes it sucks that Tesla may have the ability to uncork certain cars and won’t.
Well stated. Tesla had multiple tiers of differentiated cars. All the cars are performance limited in multiple ways. For everything except the top cars, first they are torque limited. Then they are power limited. Then they are battery limited. Then they are top speed limited. Some of this is for safety. Some of this is to offset warranty liability for Tesla. But much of it is so that they can afford to sell a car at $70k because they sell a very similar car at $140k.

Last edited:
Well stated. Tesla had multiple tiers of differentiated cars. All the cars are performance limited in multiple ways. For everything except the top cars, first they are torque limited. Then they are power limited. Then they are battery limited. Then they are top speed limited. Some of this is for safety. Some of this is to offset warranty liability for Tesla. But much of it is so that they can afford to sell a car at $70k because they sell a very similar car at $140k.
It's one thing when they limit the performance on different models, it's another when they limit the performance of the same model. Like I mentioned before, you could trade in your June custom build 75D purchased at MSRP without uncork for a May build 75D inventory with $18k discount that has uncork? Yea that makes perfect sense.

Of course I know that's how Tesla operates. If Tesla owners just want to accept that so be it.

It's one thing when they limit the performance on different models, it's another when they limit the performance of the same model. Like I mentioned before, you could trade in your June custom build 75D purchased as MSRP without uncork for a May build 75D inventory with $18k discount that has uncork? Yea that makes perfect sense...Of course I know that's how Tesla operates.
I am still waiting for someone to trade in their 75 and then buy it back from Tesla uncorked. I think that would be hilarious.

What is the alternative? Require Tesla to differentiate the new performance in the model name? Tesla can only sell a 75v2? or a 75MAD for More Awesome? Better to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tazman
I am still waiting for someone to trade in their 75 and then buy it back from Tesla uncorked. I think that would be hilarious.

What is the alternative? Require Tesla to differentiate the new performance in the model name?Tesla can only sell a 75v2? or a 75MAD for More Awesome? Better to keep it simple.
Yes it would be hilarious and that's Tesla laughing so bad on the sale. It might actually be worth it because of the inventory discount @ end of quarter. Maybe few k loss but that's the price to pay for the performance upgrade.

Alternative? Just put a price on the upgrade. Also need a way to tell owners if they have the v1 or v2/MAD acceleration on the MCU.

Reactions: Swift
I've called SC many times on this. Feb build, but July 5 delivery as it was an inventory car. Everyone there has told me that my car is flagged for performance uncorking, however they are not quite sure how to do it on a non hardware car? Any other before June builds but July deliveries that have had this successfully done in the USA?

It's one thing when they limit the performance on different models, it's another when they limit the performance of the same model. Like I mentioned before, you could trade in your June custom build 75D purchased at MSRP without uncork for a May build 75D inventory with $18k discount that has uncork? Yea that makes perfect sense.

Of course I know that's how Tesla operates. If Tesla owners just want to accept that so be it.
adding to your excellent point about different performance on the same model ... this is exactly what has been bothering me about this issue the class of cars in question are the same exact models with different performance specs, if Tesla created a different model July 1 lets say P75 and P75D then I would still be unhappy but would have to suck it up as they released a new model, in this case it ti the same model with inferior performance..... we need to find out how many owners are in this class .... this is why owners are feeling extra crappy about this :(

Another reason Tesla’s tactics here drive people nuts is that they limit access to parts. On my AMG cars, when newer components came out on the same model line (i.e. improved calipers, slotted/cross drilled rotors, improved air intakes, etc), all were readily available as parts and I frequently upgraded. My Mercedes SC was quite helpful in the process and they had all the information on my car’s configuration, what was compatible, what’s coming down the line, etc. I have a completely different relationship with Mercedes than I do with Tesla.

Reactions: Dan60D
While my car is in for service, I received an alert on my phone that a Software Update is Available. The next day I received another alert that the Software Update is Complete. Normally not a big deal since the SC routinely updates the software (with a little reminder from me). The strange thing about this time is the software version is the same before and after, 2017.32.6 ca28227.

Maybe they were kind enough to uncork my performance with the replacement of my rear drive unit? Doubtful, but there is always hope!

I bought PowerTools and will run it when I get the car back tomorrow.

what has been bothering me about this issue the class of cars in question are the same exact models with different performance specs...same model with inferior performance..... we need to find out how many owners are in this class .... this is why owners are feeling extra crappy about this :(

I clicked disagree (not dislike by the way). I don't agree that Tesla makes "models", rather, their production changes elements of the car constantly, daily, in a iterative agile cycle more like computer companies do.

Example : My "classic" 85 doesn't have power folding mirrors, those were added on the production line a few months after my very early car was produced. No one would claim my old 85 is the "same model" as a newer 85 with many more features.

Logically, owners of 75's saved money not getting the 90 which had the better performance because the $AVING$ was more important than the better range and much better performance.

Be happy with your choice. You made that choice. Tesla didn't force you to save that money on the upgrade, they gave you options, you picked one, and must have been happy enough to click purchase on what is already a premium priced vehicle.

I clicked disagree (not dislike by the way). I don't agree that Tesla makes "models", rather, their production changes elements of the car constantly, daily, in a iterative agile cycle more like computer companies do.

Example : My "classic" 85 doesn't have power folding mirrors, those were added on the production line a few months after my very early car was produced. No one would claim my old 85 is the "same model" as a newer 85 with many more features.

Logically, owners of 75's saved money not getting the 90 which had the better performance because the $AVING$ was more important than the better range and much better performance.

Be happy with your choice. You made that choice. Tesla didn't force you to save that money on the upgrade, they gave you options, you picked one, and must have been happy enough to click purchase on what is already a premium priced vehicle.
You missed the point. Your example does not apply here as that was a hardware difference. A comparable example is that Tesla enabled power folding mirrors via OTA but would not enable it for your car. A car built earlier than yours could have it enabled if they were selling it as in inventory. That's what's happening here.