Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would really love to get past this issue but something still does not feel right about this to me.

Telsa has essentially devalued all the pre July 1 2017 delivered 75/75D vehicles and did not change the name of the post July 1 vehicles to P75/P75D, where P =Performance

This issue not the same as options or new models with better performance the name 75/75D defines the car and its performance. In an IC engine if I buy a V8 engine i have a certain performance expectation vs a V6 engine. The post July 1 75/75D are the same model as the pre July 1 75/75D !!! It is one thing to make air suspension or power lift gate standard on subsequent vehicles with the same name, they are optional features so there is no performance expectation associated with the name.

So what Tesla has effectively done is de-rated our vehicles to NP75 and NP75D , where NP = Non Performance :mad: I am frankly not worried about Tesla's warranty liability coverage , I am worried about my resale value as should all other owners ...

I can see the conversation in the future with a potential buyer " Oh you have one of those non performance 75 models ... no thanks :(

Any one have a guess on how many of us 75/75D owners are impacted ?

I agree, but this is not the first time.

Cars keep getting better with no model change.

New hardware, lower price, faster...maybe you can call refresh and 2.0/AP2.5 a 'new model'

I agree, but this is not the first time.

Cars keep getting better with no model change.

New hardware, lower price, faster...maybe you can call refresh and 2.0/AP2.5 a 'new model'

Can't really agree.

There have been changes, but most of those are physical changes (e.g parking sensors, folding mirrors, seat changes, battery sizes, exterior refresh, AP versions. These changes are easily identifiable and generally difficult to apply to older models.

This 75 performance change appears somewhat unique because it appears to be a simple change being applied to earlier models. It also is impossible to verify this change without measuring performance.

For me, this is the real issue.

Reactions: Zero CO2
I agree that Tesla should offer this as a paid upgrade for those cars that can truly support it. But I think the posts I've seen so far are really detached from reality on what that upgrade should cost. $500 - 1000$? This is unrealistic. Dropping a whole second off a 0-60 time is a major improvement. To upgrade an ICE car in this fashion we're talking thousands. To put it in perspective, the $10k Ludicrious upgrade gave cars a few tenths of a second improvement.

I'd have to think the opening bid on an upgrade like this would have to be closer to the cost of a Drive Unit + Labor, at least $5k for it to be worth Tesla's time.

I agree that Tesla should offer this as a paid upgrade for those cars that can truly support it. But I think the posts I've seen so far are really detached from reality on what that upgrade should cost. $500 - 1000$? This is unrealistic. Dropping a whole second off a 0-60 time is a major improvement. To upgrade an ICE car in this fashion we're talking thousands. To put it in perspective, the $10k Ludicrious upgrade gave cars a few tenths of a second improvement.

I'd have to think the opening bid on an upgrade like this would have to be closer to the cost of a Drive Unit + Labor, at least $5k for it to be worth Tesla's time.
Far more valuable to them is 1) the margin on the new car you would to upgrade to and 2) the additional new cars unit sales statistics they need to show to investors...

Since every CPO 75 and 75D regardless of age is showing the new, quicker 0-60 time now, lets hope he was correct.
Yeah, but has anyone (in the world), bought and tested one of these? I know there are some people who have older drive unit '17 cars that they have tested, but has anyone actually numbered a '16 CPO. Remember there was/is a database error on CPO 100Ds showing 0-100kmh in 3.3 seconds. The same database error could be showing '16 cars with faster performance than they have.

Australian site has an inventory 75
vin 188543
0-100kph 4.6 seconds
Also all 100D inventory cars early as 193 vins show 0-100kph in 3.3 while new orders show 4.3 seconds.
The 100D figure seems to be a mistake as kph would be a couple of tenths slower than 60mph.

Just received an update from my SC! They were able to work with the engineers at Tesla and UNCORK! Hallelujah!

Just to give you all the background, I bought a Feb build 75D inventory car that was delivered on July 5th. I am thinking the delivery date drives this whole debacle. I should have my car back around 3pm this afternoon, as soon as I get it i will verify and post the PowerTools run log.

godspeed.

Just received an update from my SC! They were able to work with the engineers at Tesla and UNCORK! Hallelujah!

Just to give you all the background, I bought a Feb build 75D inventory car that was delivered on July 5th. I am thinking the delivery date drives this whole debacle. I should have my car back around 3pm this afternoon, as soon as I get it i will verify and post the PowerTools run log.

godspeed.

If you do, I'm going to ask 'strongly' as my build is after yours. It was delivered before July 5th, so it will be an interesting conversation.

Reactions: BWa75D and Swift
@warrenbecker - are you saying that depending on when delivery date occurred, they will Uncork the car?

If so, did they tell you the "cuttoff" date? I took delivery on 6/24 but they started installing the new DUs on 6/19.

Did you work with your SC on this or the engineers at Fremont?

Thanks