Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - Sorry for the delay in giving an update. I can now confirm my car has been uncorked. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds with a max KW output of 337KW (pre-uncorking was 280). All i can say is holy $@#% what a difference.

From what i am being told it is a software only firmware update, no hardware involved.

See below run log from power tools and for @rsan the Log File.

View attachment 249988

View attachment 249990

Again - I believe regardless of build date, if your a July 1 or later delivery you should be eligible as i have been told a number of times my car was "flagged for uncorking"

Here's to hoping more of you are eligible.

Very very interesting. So then you don’t have the new hardware or drive unit since it was a Feb Build? And yet with just software you got uncorked?

So the question becomes. What exactly are the capabilities of the new drive unit and the purpose of new hardware on top of that?

I’m taking delivery tomorrow on a demo 75d produced in mid May. My sales person showed me the sales screen on my actual car...it showed a car code with a label that said uncorking. So this is an official term. They confirmed the 75d only needs a software update, the 75 needs both. All 75d in their inventory have had the uncorking already done...including demos and anything manufactured before July as well.

This has probably been asked before but I can't find a good answer - Is there a way to validate your 0-60 timings? I just took delivery of a Model S yesterday (75RWD) and would like to validate, if possible. Thanks!

Warrenbecker said yesterday his kw output rose from 280 to 337 (on his 75D). So wouldn't this be a simple way to see if your MS has the increased performance? If your kw output maxes out around 280, you have the old performance - around 337 the higher performance. Just a theory. Perhaps others here have better insights.

Also would the same kw output characteristics apply to the RWD? I test drove a 75 RWD (0-60 in 4.3 version) and really couldn't tell the difference between that and my old 70 RWD.

Hi All - Sorry for the delay in giving an update. I can now confirm my car has been uncorked. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds with a max KW output of 337KW (pre-uncorking was 280). All i can say is holy $@#% what a difference.

From what i am being told it is a software only firmware update, no hardware involved.

See below run log from power tools and for @rsan the Log File.

View attachment 249988

View attachment 249990

Again - I believe regardless of build date, if your a July 1 or later delivery you should be eligible as i have been told a number of times my car was "flagged for uncorking"

Here's to hoping more of you are eligible.

- I spoke with the Store Manager at the local SC and he tells me that he has not heard of this. He keeps telling me that this is a service issue.
- I was wondering whether you were working with the Service Dept at Tesla or Fremont Center. and how the whole event got initiated and took place.
- Any contact info at Fremont Tesla or even your local SC would be of great help.

Thanks

- I spoke with the Store Manager at the local SC and he tells me that he has not heard of this. He keeps telling me that this is a service issue.
- I was wondering whether you were working with the Service Dept at Tesla or Fremont Center. and how the whole event got initiated and took place.
- Any contact info at Fremont Tesla or even your local SC would be of great help.

Thanks

I asked the same question and he stated:

Mine was done through the SC. I was told early on by a number of service advisors my car had been flagged for uncorking. I used that to keep pushing them and asking.
j

Since my 75D is a May 2017 build with a late June 2017 delivery I'm going to try to speak to someone at Tesla about this. They were die hard trying to get me to purchase and receive delivery on a car prior to the end of Q2 so their numbers look good when I just wanted to originally just order one and have it delivered later on. I did them a favor by buying an inventory car with just $1000 discount(considering end of Q3 you see people with 20k+ discounts) which had flaws because it was displayed at one of the most busiest Tesla showrooms in the US and when you see others being uncorked who took delivery days after you did with an earlier build date, it just stinks.

I'd hate to be a complainer but Tesla should never play this type of picky game.

j

Since my 75D is a May 2017 build with a late June 2017 delivery I'm going to try to speak to someone at Tesla about this. They were die hard trying to get me to purchase and receive delivery on a car prior to the end of Q2 so their numbers look good when I just wanted to originally just order one and have it delivered later on. I did them a favor by buying an inventory car with just $1000 discount(considering end of Q3 you see people with 20k+ discounts) which had flaws because it was displayed at one of the most busiest Tesla showrooms in the US and when you see others being uncorked who took delivery days after you did with an earlier build date, it just stinks.

I'd hate to be a complainer but Tesla should never play this type of picky game.
Amen.

I did a Tesla trade in, so absolute flexibility on my part. Had a mid-June delivery and early build production and really pushed to get June delivery so I could get good interest rate.

You get the feeling you've been played.

j

Almost exactly what happened to me. I will keep pushing it with my SC and keep you posted. Please let me know what happens on your end. My SC was clueless so guess no one from this area was flagged and notified.

Even if your SC is experienced with this, the corporate policy is that only cars with the new hardware can be uncorked. Thus unless owners who don't have new hardware prove that they have gotten the uncorking and we can share it to refute the Tesla corporate line, we will all just keep getting fed the same response without ability to refute it.

...only cars with the new hardware can be uncorked. Thus unless owners who don't have new hardware prove that they have gotten the uncorking...
No. The real corporate line is that cars purchased after 1 July can be unlocked. There are plenty of pre June uncorked cars in the metrics database now. There are no known purchases made before 1 July that are on the to be uncorked list, certainly none produced after 19 June.

It won't matter when your regional office finally gets the story straight. We believe they cannot uncork a car that engineering has not approved at corporate.

Reactions: Zero CO2
No. The real corporate line is that cars purchased after 1 July can be unlocked. There are plenty of pre June uncorked cars in the metrics database now. There are no known purchases made before 1 July that are on the to be uncorked list, certainly none produced after 19 June.

It won't matter when your regional office finally gets the story straight. We believe they cannot uncork a car that engineering has not approved at corporate.
I agree.

My question is why the July 1 cutoff? since the new DUs have been going in since 6/19. If anything it should be 6/19 cutoff.?

Maybe I am just hoping since I took delivery 1 week prior at 6/24. :)

Does anyone know what the KW output of the different cars are and whether that number correlates with HP output, Torque and 0-60 numbers?
HP and kW are standard and metric units for power. Torque is limited separately. Both limits are the only primary drivers of 0-60 times and limited separately by model and configuration. By configuration I mean something like a change in the drive unit and inverter since to get equal 0-60 times the power limits are dialed down because the inverter is more efficient.

I haven't split out 90s by battery configurations (v1, v2, v3) so the standard deviation looks larger than it really is for 90s.

Battery current output also figures into quarter mile times, but I think the 90 differences in 0-60 are just torque and power limits.

I'll calculate torque by configuration when we get a few more samples. Most people haven't installed hardware to read torque directly from the car because TM-Spy software and hardware is too complicated. You can't get torque directly from PowerTools runlogs.

See the Performance Metrics link in my signature for the data.