Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it looks like Tesla enforces "no uncorking for older cars" policy - after a car is uncorked by an owner (why bother to contact Tesla :) ) Tesla would log in to the car and 'corked' it back. After the second attempt, an owner gets a pleasant call from Tesla with an emphasis if it happens again battery warranty could be voided.[/QUOTE]

Gosh... I really wish there will be an option to upgrade but damn...

@tester seems to be repeating what @verygreen reported "a friend" had experienced. At any rate, Tesla's business practices are questionable. While this might be outside the exemptions from the DMCA, I think a strong argument could be made that the hardware is yours and Tesla is unjustifiably restricting access to it. Tesla can't argue that its a hardware warranty problem because they are uncorking their own CPOs to sell them and they are, hardware wise, the same. I think they are being unjust and they should rethink their policy with regard to not offering any uncork path.

@tester seems to be repeating what @verygreen reported "a friend" had experienced. At any rate, Tesla's business practices are questionable. While this might be outside the exemptions from the DMCA, I think a strong argument could be made that the hardware is yours and Tesla is unjustifiably restricting access to it. Tesla can't argue that its a hardware warranty problem because they are uncorking their own CPOs to sell them and they are, hardware wise, the same. I think they are being unjust and they should rethink their policy with regard to not offering any uncork path.
Yes, this is the case I am referring to. It is genuine, but not the only self-uncorked car I know of.

... uncorking doesn't' require new drive units or anything else for that matter it just an update to your car configuration. Even last year production cars can be uncorked which gives a significant performance boost.

Everything I've seen suggests this is correct for dual motors. I've never seen anything that suggests older vehicles with a single rear drive unit are eligible for the uncork.

Everyone should do what I just did and go on the MyTesla page and voice our concerns to corporate. They recently updated the myTesla page and added a section for "inquiries" which can be sent to the Tesla support team or directly to "Tesla's executive team". I just sent the following to both Tesla groups, I suggest everyone else should do the same so that we may get a response! Feel free to copy and modify my message below as needed.

Did this already, and got a pro-forma response. I’m hoping that they’re at least registering all these requests/complaints regarding uncorking.

Makes me wonder if the new drive units can actually go faster than posted is my thinking.
The units can go faster. They are limited for warranty as well as to segment the different price tiers.

... think a strong argument could be made that the hardware is yours and Tesla is unjustifiably restricting access to it. Tesla can't argue that its a hardware warranty problem because they are uncorking their own CPOs to sell them and they are, hardware wise, the same.
It doesn't matter that they are the same. Tesla can dial up the performance and their own warranty liability at will without any legal obligation to previous buyers. They could do a little bit every month if they wanted. Personally I think the goodwill gained by unlocking for some is probably worth more than the money to be made selling upgrades, but it is not my company.

Everything I've seen suggests this is correct for dual motors. I've never seen anything that suggests older vehicles with a single rear drive unit are eligible for the uncork.

We tried and it did not work on single motor S. Worked on dual motor.

That said, there's this: 75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?
and we tried on an older S and might be that's why.
I've been keeping an eye out throughout all of these threads, and it seems like the RWD is out of luck (not that Tesla would actually bother with the AWD either).

Did this already, and got a pro-forma response. I’m hoping that they’re at least registering all these requests/complaints regarding uncorking.
I didn't even get a response, but I've heard from several Tesla employees on the phone that they register all complaints, tally them and periodically send summaries to higher management. That's why it's important that everyone do it!

But it looks like Tesla enforces "no uncorking for older cars" policy - after a car is uncorked by an owner (why bother to contact Tesla :) ) Tesla would log in to the car and 'corked' it back. After the second attempt, an owner gets a pleasant call from Tesla with an emphasis if it happens again battery warranty could be voided.

and WHERE does it say in the warranty or the software agreements you supposedly sign when you buy the car that you agree to this? Or agree to not modify the car? It doesn't say that ANYWHERE.

Now, Tesla might come up with a new software agreement - but the problem is that they load the software BEFORE you agree to the update - what if you decline their new software agreement?

I have encountered this lack of proper limitations already with Tesla and we're not even owners yet. . . .

I simply refuse to let them scan my DL or to retain a photo of it. We are not financing with them - and they are simply processing the title form as part of delivery. They only need our insurance policy number as well - I drew the line at giving them scans of anything.

They salesman says to me jokingly, 'well, if you don't agree we don't have to sell you a car.'

I was ready for that and told him that if he meant that comment seriously I was prepared to demand arbitration right then and there - since their ordering agreement says nothing about Tesla having the ability to terminate the agreement. You give them money, you have an enforceable agreement for them to build you a vehicle. The ONLY out they have is impossibility for certain options or if the company fails to build that model.

He was taken aback by my comment and I just waited for his reply. He said - let me confirm what documents we need.

He calls me two hours later and said they don't need copies of anything if we are paying cash. 99.5% of people finance the vehicle, etc etc etc. He then mentioned that he did not realize that Tesla can't back out - and neither did corporate.

Seems like they need better lawyers - was my comment.

I took my 75D build date 3/17 into service manager, he took my vin # Said he would check if the car is equipped with hardware for uncorked option. Good news was yes it has the hardware, bad news was it had to delivered after the 7/1/2017 to get update.

I thought a huge selling point with Tesla was the car gets better because of the improved software updates? Why would they limit the uncorking if your car is equipped with the hardware?

I take a resale hit and already got a less equipped (air suspension. Glass roof etc.) car for more money. I hate this none year model approach, especially now that they are withholding improved software !

huh? there was a clause that let them out i they believe you are not going through with purchase at least.
No - never said we were not buying the car - just concerned for the infosec - identity theft etc. I offered to provide them the information they need to fill out the forms.

We all know what happens when a compnay has a data breach: ooops we had a breach, good luck.

Reactions: HankLloydRight