Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you also hate the things that are better/cheaper about your car than what people who bought 6 months earlier than you got?

I'm on my third MS, there is a bunch of stuff that's better on the older ones, like fronk, panel gaps , headliners etc . More importantly, I get software updates on my 2014 MS that continues to improve the car, with supporting hardware.

My point is with traditional car year models you get a preview of the next year model before you buy and price is negotiable when you purchase.
Not so with Tesla. One month difference cost me 7k more and a far less equipped car, and to find out software is being withheld and not even offered as a paid option, yes makes me way salty.

Even Best Buy offers a 30day price guarantee.

Reactions: Dan60D
I took my 75D build date 3/17 into service manager, he took my vin # Said he would check if the car is equipped with hardware for uncorked option. Good news was yes it has the hardware, bad news was it had to delivered after the 7/1/2017 to get update.

I thought a huge selling point with Tesla was the car gets better because of the improved software updates? Why would they limit the uncorking if your car is equipped with the hardware?

I take a resale hit and already got a less equipped (air suspension. Glass roof etc.) car for more money. I hate this none year model approach, especially now that they are withholding improved software !
Yup, this none-year-model approach seems like it pisses off more customers than the traditional model year approach. I'm sure I'm not alone in deciding to "upgrade" my Model 3 reservation to a Model S order within a year of the Model 3 deliveries beginning, giving Tesla significantly more money much sooner. I missed the new seats, standard power liftgate, standard SAS, and standard cornering lights (would have been AP2 had I purchased two months sooner), but I fully accept that these are all part of Tesla's no-model-year game. The least they could do is toss us a bone and give us the performance upgrade (or at least what software allows) as a way of thanking us customers for helping them get to the Model 3.

I never got a response, either.

I didn't even get a response, but I've heard from several Tesla employees on the phone that they register all complaints, tally them and periodically send summaries to higher management. That's why it's important that everyone do it!

I havent had a response either. I wrote to them 9 days ago to the "Executive Review" . I was literally 5 hours before the 1/7 deadline and I would expect at the very least an explanation.
I am writing a follow up today .

Reactions: Karlton770
Can someone with an uncorked S let me know their firmware? I am awaiting on delivery of an inventory 75D that was a loaner. Vin is 192XXX but I won't be taking delivery until end of the month. Based on the thread history I think I'll get it by default, but I want to make sure.

Tesla has uncorked hundreds of older cars, but none for users purchased before 1 July. I don't see this as unfair. I don't want Tesla to withhold new car improvements because they can't afford the liability on the warranty for every older car.

Krash, you know your stuff. What is the basis for the liability concern, and why can't this easily be overcome with a charge to upgrade? It's clear that they believe that the value of offering the faster inventory outweighs the liability concern which tells me it cannot be that substantial.

Reactions: croman and Swift
Don't we all just need one older car to be uncorked by an SC to cry unfair?

I believe that has happened.

I guess they could always cork their car back vs uncork everyone.

One car simply let everyone know it could be done. The inventory behavior would have tipped people off to that information even without that car. Their company policy seems to be a belief that this is technology, not a car, and therefore software limitations should be tolerated. PR axiom #1 is that perception is reality, and we have 85 pages of posts that illustrate this. What is the definition of insanity again?

Krash, you know your stuff. What is the basis for the liability concern, and why can't this easily be overcome with a charge to upgrade? It's clear that they believe that the value of offering the faster inventory outweighs the liability concern which tells me it cannot be that substantial.
Actually I am a noob relative to the OGs here, but I think that makes me more relatable.

All the cars are software limited. Even the P models. Any electric motor would destroy itself without any controls. Same for batteries. So low settings mean slow cars but no warranty claims. High settings mean fast cars but some warranty claims.

Again, if I were Tesla, I suspect I would grandfather some cars for uncorking farther back, and sell some or all the rest the upgrade. But I haven't seen their data on the rate of change of warranty costs as performance has increased over time, so it is hard to know where to draw the line. I think an interesting balance of revenue per customer optimization and customer loyalty would be to start the upgrade prices high, like "trade your car in as a CPO" high and lower them over time but to tell everyone in advance that they lowered over time.

Frankly I think the public markets and internal sales incentives are partially to blame as they likely reward new car sales and money from a CPO trade in more than upgrade revenue.

Reactions: Tazman
Tesla has uncorked hundreds of older cars, but none for users purchased before 1 July. I don't see this as unfair. I don't want Tesla to withhold new car improvements because they can't afford the liability on the warranty for every older car.

That would be fair, but I mean a customer car delivered before July 1. Not inventory.

@dark I believe had it done on a 2016.

...we have 85 pages of posts that illustrate this. What is the definition of insanity again?
But to be fair it is really tough on newcomers to expect them to find the right thread and then read 85 pages in order to understand. You can't just look at the last posts as those are typically filled with new misinformation posited as questions. What we really need is a curator and and an index.

Frankly if the community did a good job at that, the service centers would come here to see what 1) they were supposed to say; 2) what other service centers were saying; and 3) what was actually true. Tesla hasn't gotten that communication refined yet.

Reactions: dragonxt and Bebop
Tesla has totally screwed this up.

If they would have simply stuck to a date and improved performance they would have avoided a lot of the concerns. But they didn't. They went back and 'uncorked' older models. People keep talking about increased warranty costs, yet there is no evidence to indicate this is really a significant issue. They didn't charge more for new cars. In any case, an upgrade charge could take care of this.

Part of my concern is that I bought a 75D at a time that I wanted SAS but it was not available (unless I upgraded to a 100D) but a few weeks later was included in the base configuration along with the 1 sec performance upgrade all at lower cost because Tesla was pushing to meet quarterly goals.

Yet now, the car I have with the same hardware is selling for less money and I am denied the performance upgrade.

Sorry, not a good feeling.

Tesla can't be that worried about extra warranty costs if they are doing this for CPOs. Its all a game to boost quarter by quarter sales and pushing new car sales to increase stock price.

I think they know, based on their experience with the 60->75kwh upgrade that most buyers of the 60/75 line will not spend $9k on an upgrade so if they only charge $1-2k its not worth it as compared to selling more new cars. I understand it to some extent but I agree with the other posters that this is a short-sighted strategy that alienates the most loyal Tesla customers in favor of prospective customers.

Tesla can't be that worried about extra warranty costs if they are doing this for CPOs. Its all a game to boost quarter by quarter sales and pushing new car sales to increase stock price.

I think they know, based on their experience with the 60->75kwh upgrade that most buyers of the 60/75 line will not spend $9k on an upgrade so if they only charge $1-2k its not worth it as compared to selling more new cars. I understand it to some extent but I agree with the other posters that this is a short-sighted strategy that alienates the most loyal Tesla customers in favor of prospective customers.
I don't know what their marginal profit is on a new S, but let's say it's 20K. At 2K for the upgrade, 10 is their breakeven. Then you add to that the fact that every one of those 10 got some additional value beyond what they paid. Then you add to that the tens of thousands that see Tesla treating their customers right. It seems economic to me to do this, though if I were them, I'd offer it free because the PR would be worth way more than the upgrade fees, and then you get every single prior owner who is over the moon happy and telling everyone about their new speed. Their long-term sales uplift from the right reputation is worth more sales than squeezing a few out in the short term which is short slighted. Yes, I'm aware they are under intense Wall Street pressure and seem to be willing to do anything for one more sale.

I think an interesting balance of revenue per customer optimization and customer loyalty would be to start the upgrade prices high, like "trade your car in as a CPO" high...

They do have that option already. Trade in your 75, get a new 75 that is faster, and depending on how old yours is you may get a few other things included in the upgrade price like SAS or power liftgate or glass roof.

I don’t believe the firmware matters - it is essentially a hard coded upgrade... but mine is an uncorked 75D vin 186XXX. Firmware is .36

Wow. Which makes it a slightly earlier build than mine, at 188XXX. I've already gotten an email reply from Tesla claiming that uncorking of my March 2017 build Model S75D just wasn't possible -

"I know that the vehicles with the current increase is due to a mix of hardware and software changes that allow this. Older models do not have the same hardware – which is why the option is not available at this time.
We cannot promise that an upgrade will come – however we appreciate our customer’s feedback and suggestions and hope to fulfill them if possible."

• Informative
Reactions: Swift
Tesla can't be that worried about extra warranty costs if they are doing this for CPOs.
Who reported this being done for CPO's? I thought it was only inventory cars. If they do it for CPO's, that would mean they can upgrade even much older cars (which would be good news for me, we have a 12/16 75D). I'm hoping they offer this to older cars, though it is totally their option since they delivered me the car I agreed to buy (sans automatic wipers which they still owe me) - unlike the P85D which was supposed to have 691hp and an 85KWh battery but Tesla delivered 463hp and 81.5KWh (77KWh usable) - there they lied and ripped off customers completely.

Reactions: Swift