Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FOR THE ‘CAN YOU TOP THIS” FILE

Model S 75D – Delivery date March 10, 2017

Wednesday, Oct. 25, 3:00 PM – Read this thread. Had no idea I could ‘soup up’ the car

Wednesday, October 25, 400 PM – Called my SC in Dania Beach, Florida. Gave my VIN and he said I was eligible. I asked to set up an appointment, he said he would send a road tech to my house, the next day at 2:00 PM

Wednesday, October 25, 5:00 PM. Road tech calls. Says he will download an update to my car. Instructs me to dismiss and do nothing until he arrives.

Thursday, October 26, 2017, Tech arrives on time. . About 50 minutes in car. Informs me car done. Take it out for a short run, WOW.

GOTTA LOVE TESLA !!!!!

I think I can match if not TOP this.

So my March 2017 Model S75D (VIN 188***), got involved in a rear-ending and had been laid up in a local body shop undergoing US$12,000 in rear bumper repairs. Today, the bodywork completed, it got driven to our local Service Centre for recalibration.

I called the Service Centre to ask about the possibility of uncorking and if I could have it done while the car was with them for recalibration.

“Ahhh...let me just check here. Oh, yes. Your VIN is marked for a MANDATORY UPDATE, so our guys know about it already. They’re going to do it anyway but I’ll just make a note here that you called to check.”

So there you go! Can’t wait to get our baby back!

So as a quick follow up, I called the main call center and asked again before my appointment tomorrow and they actually looked up my VIN this time and said no its not unworkable but the diagnostic team can look in to it and might say otherwise. I called back with the idea what if I upgraded from 70D to 75D and was told most probably will be able to but no guarantees they will add that to the information for the diagnostic team to get back to me with. I will let you guys know tomorrow!

Had my wife's S uncorked today and had a chance to collect the 0-60 this evening. Same stretch of road as the runs from my S.
Here's the results.

Before:
View attachment 256017
After:
View attachment 256018
Log file also attached.

I have to note that the conditions were poor, light rain and slick payment, there was a little wheel slip, so I figure the runs would be 4.0 if it weren't for the conditions. Also, charge was not 100%.
View attachment 256020
I still believe my wife's S feels faster, it always has... I'll try to collect it again when it's dry, maybe tomorrow night.

*** Update ***
Dry conditions tonight, little better time. Still had a little wheel slip, should be able to go below 4.0 if I let some air out of her tires I think... the SC "over-filled" them for winter.
IMG_0596.PNG

*** Update ***
Dry conditions tonight, little better time. Still had a little wheel slip, should be able to go below 4.0 if I let some air out of her tires I think... the SC "over-filled" them for winter.
View attachment 256409

4 second 0-62 it looks like. That is sub 4 for 0-60. That's fantastic. I'll be testing on winter wheels (since my service center is doing that as my excuse to get uncorked).

Man, and here the only reason I didn't buy the "D" model is because living in Texas, I really have no need for it...
I bought the D cars since 2015 hoping for this update or I would wait until my warranty ran out and have it done with an after market tune which I think will become popular when warranties run out in 2020 or bigger battery upgrade. I had also seen the wiki page that stated that 70D and 85D both had 518hp motors in combination and that the 70D/75D was only producing 330hp. It was clear that the 70D/75D was detuned because it had an extra motor barely adding any extra power. Even with planning all this, I'm still ineligible in my 2017 75D haha oh well

• Funny
Reactions: phaduman
Ok folks, here's the latest. I shot an email to the executive team this morning through my Tesla account's interface. I simply asked if they'd tell me if my car would be eligible for "uncorking" if I paid the 75 upgrade charge. No email back all day. Whatever, they're probably inundated with owners frothing at the mouth over this. Near the end of my day, cell rings: Fremont, CA. A super cool dude proceeds to inform me that he's consulted with some of the engineering team, and they confirmed my car is eligible for uncorking as soon as I purchase the 75 range upgrade. He put it in writing in an email, and assured me if there were any further issues to contact him back. He then prompted me to make a service appointment ASAP to have the uncorking done. So no need to generate a BS work order to have your car seen for the uncorking. I was covered either way as I have a nail in one of my tires that needs tending to.

Anyway.. I pressed on some more questions on behalf of my brethren here. All answers paraphrased.

1. Are all facelift cars going to eventually be approved? -it's hard to tell, and even given the latest information regarding fuses on dual charger cars, and rapid splitter Gen III onboard chargers that don't deal with a fuse and are believed to be equipped on all facelift cars, uncorking is being treated on a case by case, car by car basis.

2. Is it at all possible that 60D can be uncorked and the requirement to upgrade is simply a trap?:)p) -no. The car's battery needs to be fully unlocked to attain the performance gains.

3. What if someone's approved for uncorking but they still want to wait until the 75 upgrade price comes down more? Will the uncorking always be on the table for that person? -I don't see why not. And honestly I don't think the $2,000 upgrade price will be coming down any time soon.

4. Can I buy you lunch? Chocolates? -no, weirdo.

Appointment's been made at my local SC without pretext of something else beyond uncorking. There is no "line" that you wait in depending on when you unlocked. Seems to be that whenever Fremont determines eligibility, you're set for uncorking as soon as you can get an appointment. My suggestion is: instead of hounding various SCs across town/country and getting frustrated, simply write to the executive team via your Tesla account interface, asking if they can verify eligibility. My theory is that they're working through verifying cars on their own, one by one, but if you request verification, you'll get bumped up ahead of their planned route. This probably explains why eligible cars are showing as ineligible--they simply haven't been verified yet by Fremont.

Send the email, get verified, get speed, get gone. Godspeed, peeps.

Ok folks, here's the latest. I shot an email to the executive team this morning through my Tesla account's interface. I simply asked if they'd tell me if my car would be eligible for "uncorking" if I paid the 75 upgrade charge. No email back all day. Whatever, they're probably inundated with owners frothing at the mouth over this. Near the end of my day, cell rings: Fremont, CA. A super cool dude proceeds to inform me that he's consulted with some of the engineering team, and they confirmed my car is eligible for uncorking as soon as I purchase the 75 range upgrade. He put it in writing in an email, and assured me if there were any further issues to contact him back. He then prompted me to make a service appointment ASAP to have the uncorking done. So no need to generate a BS work order to have your car seen for the uncorking. I was covered either way as I have a nail in one of my tires that needs tending to.

Anyway.. I pressed on some more questions on behalf of my brethren here. All answers paraphrased.

1. Are all facelift cars going to eventually be approved? -it's hard to tell, and even given the latest information regarding fuses on dual charger cars, and rapid splitter Gen III onboard chargers that don't deal with a fuse and are believed to be equipped on all facelift cars, uncorking is being treated on a case by case, car by car basis.

2. Is it at all possible that 60D can be uncorked and the requirement to upgrade is simply a trap?:)p) -no. The car's battery needs to be fully unlocked to attain the performance gains.

3. What if someone's approved for uncorking but they still want to wait until the 75 upgrade price comes down more? Will the uncorking always be on the table for that person? -I don't see why not. And honestly I don't think the $2,000 upgrade price will be coming down any time soon.

Appointment's been made at my local SC without pretext of something else beyond uncorking. There is no "line" that you wait in depending on when you unlocked. Seems to be that whenever Fremont determines eligibility, you're set for uncorking as soon as you can get an appointment. My suggestion is: instead of hounding various SCs across town/country and getting frustrated, simply write to the executive team via your Tesla account interface, asking if they can verify eligibility. My theory is that they're working through verifying cars on their own, one by one, but if you request verification, you'll get bumped up ahead of their planned route. This probably explains why eligible cars are showing as ineligible--they simply haven't been verified yet by Fremont.

Is the email form to the executive team easily found on the Tesla account interface? I'd like to send them a message asking about the S75 RWD (hopefully if they see interest in it they will offer us something too).

Nice info.

They are most certainly not verifying each car individually by hand ;)

So, there appear to be two fields that are relevant here.... One is "Performance" (My car was P3, and is now P1), the other is "Perf Add On" (My car was "Standard", and is now "Uncorked")

Both of these fields can be seen in the car's diagnostics interface (accessible to SC techs/rangers):
View attachment 256359

The Performance setting can also be read via the Tesla owner API.

Unfortunately, it appears the Performance tag is only useful for checking the "Uncorked" state of your car if you have a dual motor vehicle (like my 75D). And even then, it is only an indicator; PerfAddOn also needs to be set to Uncorked. (and, I suspect, in addition to these config changes, the motor controllers also need to get a firmware redeploy with their new configs/curves, which is likely why this update needs to be done in person and not OTA).

If you do have a 75D though and want to check its uncorked status, you should be able to do so via the vehicle_state call from the owner API.

You'll need an API key, as well as your car's id (from the vehicles call): Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary

Code:
curl --header "Authorization:Bearer xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/vehicles/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data_request/vehicle_state

The response should include this:
Code:
      "perf_config" : "P1"

if you're uncorked.

or this:
Code:
      "perf_config" : "P3",

if you're corked.

If you use Teslafi, you can see the Performance tag in the raw API data section:
View attachment 256360

Looks like you're on to something there- http://firmware.teslafi.com/uncorked.php

It appears non D models are P1 for non performance and P2 for performance. And D models are P3 for non performance and P1 for performance. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Reactions: appleguru
That one is “Powertools for tesla”:

PowerTools For Tesla on the App Store

Is limited to polling the tesla API every .25seconds, but is as good as you can do without a dedicated GPS logging tool (like VBOX) or a logging CAN interface for the car.
I didn't realize the polling rate was so slow! That explains why I've done a 5.5 and and 5.2 time (0-100kph) with my still uncorked S75D (appointment 6th Nov for uncorking).

Just got off the phone to Leeds SC (UK) and unfortunately my 177XXX S75D does not fall under the uncorking program due to a hardware limitation, gutted to say the least! 75D factory ordered.
Mate I would give it a week or two. Lot's of people in the UK getting told 'no', but VINs and build dates are very similar to those told 'yes' in the US (and here is Aus).
I reckon the UK service centres are just behind the eight ball...