Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh well, thought I was uncorked by Tesla Mobile Service this morning.

BUT, went for a drive later and was obvious something was not completed... was half uncorked.:confused:

Trying again tomorrow afternoon and hopefully will have success.

I thought our local folks had this down, but it appears there is still room for errors.
Hooray! Third attempt worked through Tesla Mobile Service. Also did a firmware update to 44 which added considerably to the time.

Such a dramatic difference. Have to get some data.

While here, also got door handles correctly adjusted to be flush with doors (had been sunken in). Adjusting the door handles took way less time than uncorking!

Reactions: croman
This morning I dropped off my 60D, with stock wheels, a broken volume control wheel, and normal performance. After work I drove home a 75D, a fixed volume control, uncorked performance, and these sweet 21" wheels thanks to the referral program! Thanks Tesla, I feel like it's a different car.

Attachments

• IMG_5664.jpg
    IMG_5664.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 88
As posted above, range is a function of energy used over distance. If you use more acceleration, it is less efficient. I've noticed a less than 10 percent increase but mostly because I'm loving flooring it. I think once I resume normal driving it will be the same as corked.

• Informative
Reactions: teasla
Supposedly the drive unit change was mostly in the inverter to make use of high volume economy of scale inverter parts from the new model 3 engineering: fixed costs they can afford for 500,000 units a year that they couldn't afford at 100,000 units a year. I imagine the new drive units will be slightly more efficient, corked or uncorked

Reactions: croman
I was told that there was a mechanical part to the upgrade and a firmware update part. The mechanics part takes under 30 minutes. He firmware update can take as long as 1.5 hours. The firmware update isn’t always needed and depends on when the car was manufactured (mine came in June 2017 and did need it).

It did take about 2 hours in my instance.
what part is that?

ok so please can someone tell me what i should say/look for at uncorking to the tech? to make sure its uncorked 100% BEFORE i take the car??
If I recall correctly, you need to ask them to confirm it’s performance setting is P1. If you read back a bit in this thread, the specifics are all there.

You can also take it for a quick ride with the power tools app running to confirm that your max power level is in the 300s.

So far it seems like the older P85's are only one's not getting a nice performance bump. I'm sure they could squeeze out a few more ponies from the P85's via software!

As someone who has done extensive modifications to a P85... I can assure you that there really isn't much, if any, software-only headroom there. Even if there was the full support of Tesla's software team to do the software-side modifications needed, any increase in power would, at a minimum, require upgrading the battery pack to support a higher current draw... essentially would need the Ludicrous retrofit. No battery packs produced in the P85 era are capable of increased current draw without some pretty in-depth hardware modifications. As an example, the procedure for the P85D to P85D retrofit is something like 40 pages long and requires at least 4 hours of labor with two techs, plus prep time. Some older P85 batteries would require even more modification.

Additionally, if by some miracle a P85 still has an older drive unit that's never been warranty swapped (or replaced before Tesla revised the inverter), then the drive unit would need to be upgraded to handle the higher current.

To be able to handle the added torque on a launch without spinning the tires, the traction control system would need an upgrade to the current generation system as well (ESP2 + iBooster + new sensors, etc) which, by the book, would require replacing one of the main wiring harnesses in the car since, as a policy, Tesla will not modify them.

Overall, no... there is not really any software headroom left with the P85, and a performance upgrade package put out by Tesla is pretty unlikely. Overall, I'm pretty sure anyone with a RWD pre-AP car has gotten everything they'll ever get, really. People with AP1 cars are pretty much there also. With the exception of minor firmware tweaks here and there, if you own a "Classic" Model S, I wouldn't expect much of anything from Tesla anymore. Plus, every one of these cars will be out of warranty by this time next year at the latest, minus the battery and drive unit. (Extended warranties don't really count, it's basically just an expensive service contract/insurance with a decently high deductible).

As someone who has done extensive modifications to a P85... I can assure you that there really isn't much, if any, software-only headroom there. Even if there was the full support of Tesla's software team to do the software-side modifications needed, any increase in power would, at a minimum, require upgrading the battery pack to support a higher current draw... essentially would need the Ludicrous retrofit. No battery packs produced in the P85 era are capable of increased current draw without some pretty in-depth hardware modifications. As an example, the procedure for the P85D to P85D retrofit is something like 40 pages long and requires at least 4 hours of labor with two techs, plus prep time. Some older P85 batteries would require even more modification.

Additionally, if by some miracle a P85 still has an older drive unit that's never been warranty swapped (or replaced before Tesla revised the inverter), then the drive unit would need to be upgraded to handle the higher current.

To be able to handle the added torque on a launch without spinning the tires, the traction control system would need an upgrade to the current generation system as well (ESP2 + iBooster + new sensors, etc) which, by the book, would require replacing one of the main wiring harnesses in the car since, as a policy, Tesla will not modify them.

Overall, no... there is not really any software headroom left with the P85, and a performance upgrade package put out by Tesla is pretty unlikely. Overall, I'm pretty sure anyone with a RWD pre-AP car has gotten everything they'll ever get, really. People with AP1 cars are pretty much there also. With the exception of minor firmware tweaks here and there, if you own a "Classic" Model S, I wouldn't expect much of anything from Tesla anymore. Plus, every one of these cars will be out of warranty by this time next year at the latest, minus the battery and drive unit. (Extended warranties don't really count, it's basically just an expensive service contract/insurance with a decently high deductible).
What are your thoughts on RWD post-AP cars? I have a RWD 60/75 from 12/2016 that I'd love to know what power could be squeezed out above factory limits.

My drive unit was recently upgraded because of a noise it was making.

I wonder how difficult it would be for Tesla to just offer bigger batteries and more performance for the old P85 cars. Like maybe give them your 85 and $2000 and get a 100 pack with updated software so us 85'ers don't feel left behind :D