Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took my S75D in for it's 12,000 mile service. The SC said it was eligible for the performance update. I'm presuming this is the uncorking ... ?

I picked the car up new in late May 2017.

Indeed it is. This is how Tesla hoped the upgrade process was going to happen, the diagnostic check done when the car was in for a routine visit. Unfortunately they hugely underestimated owners escitement to get their 0-60 down by 20%, and had failed to make sure the list of eligible cars was accurate. Chaos ensued!

But good news and enjoy the extra zip, it’s very noticeable off the line.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx and croman
Hey everyone, trying to follow along with this thread but I think I'm a bit confused. I just ordered my Model X a few days ago. Estimated June delivery. I've had a Model S for the last three years and decided to check out the X, so I'm pretty excited, although confused about these 0-60 times. The design studio is currently showing a 4.9 0-60 for the X 75D but I'm reading posts here about 4.2? Are all current builds 'uncorked' or do I need to ask at my rep beforehand to have them uncork before delivery? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pardon the elementary question, but I actually have the same question as @Joetnr1.

I'm taking delivery of an S 75D next Thursday. Is this something I need to ask about? I'm really assuming my car should already be uncorked.

I'm getting the feeling some of this stuff is like the secret menu at In-N-Out Burger. Only the insiders know what to ask for.

Pardon the elementary question, but I actually have the same question as @Joetnr1.

I'm taking delivery of an S 75D next Thursday. Is this something I need to ask about? I'm really assuming my car should already be uncorked.

I'm getting the feeling some of this stuff is like the secret menu at In-N-Out Burger. Only the insiders know what to ask for.

All new deliveries are already uncorked. :)

"old" S 75D's 0-60 time was software limited to 5.2s

Reactions: Bebop
Is it possible to tell whether the car has old or new (DU01) drive unit from just the VIN?
There isn't a distinct cutoff since cars aren't produced by sequential VIN, VINs are assigned when ordered, by buyers or by Tesla. But there is a range before which no new drive units have been seen and there is a range after which no old drive units have been seen. For the S the range we have seen is within 200000 and 204000, or in other words there are some low 200xxx new drive unit cars and some high 203xxx old drive unit cars.

Last edited:
Recently, our 3rd request was the charm for us - & only after having a non-tesla BMSISENSOR check as to whether or not our 75D was performance upgrade-able. We had to show our 'proof' - and then merely asked the SC to show us they're logs indicating otherwise. They never bothered coughing 'em up, they simply did their job, & performed the upgrade.

I don't know exactly "what" it is, but on a 75D the diagnostic test (which doesn't take long for the SC to do) providing it returns a number greater than 3, you can be uncorked.

yea it might not take long, but if the tech is swamped? who knows whether or not they're simply pulling shenanigans & saying "nope/so-sorry" - so they don't have to kiss off an hour or more performing the work, & then doing a road test. How can it be reconciled that you get multiple "nope/so-sorry" results & then we get, yeah we got it. it's as though they really really didn't want to show us any logs that they had as to whether we were upgradeable.
o_O

How can it be reconciled that you get multiple "nope/so-sorry" results & then we get, yeah we got it. it's as though they really really didn't want to show us any logs that they had as to whether we were upgradeable.
o_O

Certainly when this whole issue surfaced last year the Service Centre's first/only port of call was the VIN list that had the "upgradeable" cars on it. This forms part of the "WARP" service system that tells the techs what's outstanding for the car. This list was hopelessly inaccurate and maybe it's taken this long for the message to filter through to the Service Centres.

There was some, perhaps cynical, suggestions that the performance upgrading at "routine service visits" was a mechanism to encourage owners to take their cars in for services when they perhaps otherwise wouldn't have bothered.

Whatever the reason, it's a real shame that such a great move - which other manufacturer would improve your cars performance in this way for free, turned into a chaotic PR mess.

Recently, our 3rd request was the charm for us - & only after having a non-tesla BMSISENSOR check as to whether or not our 75D was performance upgrade-able. We had to show our 'proof' - and then merely asked the SC to show us they're logs indicating otherwise. They never bothered coughing 'em up, they simply did their job, & performed the upgrade.

yea it might not take long, but if the tech is swamped? who knows whether or not they're simply pulling shenanigans & saying "nope/so-sorry" - so they don't have to kiss off an hour or more performing the work, & then doing a road test. How can it be reconciled that you get multiple "nope/so-sorry" results & then we get, yeah we got it. it's as though they really really didn't want to show us any logs that they had as to whether we were upgradeable.
o_O

Hill, how did you manage to perform a non-tesla BMSISENSOR check ?

is it just me or has `perf_config` magically disappeared from api curl responses?

Code:
        "parsed_calendar_supported": true,
        "pf": 0,
        "pr": 0,
        "remote_start": false,

i have a relatively new-ish S and i wanted to make sure i was at `P1` however I don't even see the KV pair in the endpoint.....

...Would a new DU allow me to be uncorked? Tesla told me no, that the battery pack and firmware are involved in that.

No RWDs were uncorked.

Pre and Post July 2017 RWD performance involves a couple things: an increase in torque (50%), an increase in max power (20%) and an increase in battery current (15%). Although the torque increase could theoretically be done to the new drive unit, it was also done to the old drive unit on the AWD cars. The latter two, Max Power and Current increase seem to be battery dependent. Unfortunately uncorking was all or nothing.

Also, is your battery upgradable to 75? Even on the AWD the car would have had to be upgradable and upgraded for them to attempt it.

No RWDs were uncorked.

Pre and Post July 2017 RWD performance involves a couple things: an increase in torque (50%), an increase in max power (20%) and an increase in battery current (15%). Although the torque increase could theoretically be done to the new drive unit, it was also done to the old drive unit on the AWD cars. The latter two, Max Power and Current increase seem to be battery dependent. Unfortunately uncorking was all or nothing.

Also, is your battery upgradable to 75? Even on the AWD the car would have had to be upgradable and upgraded for them to attempt it.

I have the 75. Thanks for your response.