Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No RWDs were uncorked.

Pre and Post July 2017 RWD performance involves a couple things: an increase in torque (50%), an increase in max power (20%) and an increase in battery current (15%). Although the torque increase could theoretically be done to the new drive unit, it was also done to the old drive unit on the AWD cars. The latter two, Max Power and Current increase seem to be battery dependent. Unfortunately uncorking was all or nothing.

Also, is your battery upgradable to 75? Even on the AWD the car would have had to be upgradable and upgraded for them to attempt it.
Was there a new revision to the 75 battery released July 2017 that would allow for higher max power and battery current?

Reactions: llirk
Is it safe to assume that replacing the drive unit is more costly and complex than upgrading the fuses? If so, it would be nice to offer the fuse replacement as an optional "upgrade" to enable uncorking of the RWDs.
That has all been gone through several times already. Jon McNeill wanted to bring clarity to that matter back in September, but obviously that never happened before he left the company. I'm still following that matter closely and had several inquiries to executive support and our local SC, but unfortunately there are no further official news or plans for any S 75 RWD uncorking.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Why do you have to upgrade to a 75kWh pack to get uncorked? I have a 60D but was told they will only do it if I buy the 'unlock upgrade' to a 75 battery pack. I like the fact my pack is it limited to 60kWh - I fully charge it (to 100%) every time knowing there is a buffer already in place. And the range I get has been fine so far...

Why do you have to upgrade to a 75kWh pack to get uncorked? I have a 60D but was told they will only do it if I buy the 'unlock upgrade' to a 75 battery pack. I like the fact my pack is it limited to 60kWh - I fully charge it (to 100%) every time knowing there is a buffer already in place. And the range I get has been fine so far...
$2000 profit?

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4 and FMinMI
Shouldn't be an issue with the drive unit. I believe the contactors are the problem. So even though the increase in torque is the most noticeable thing about uncorking, it is the less noticeable increase in battery max power to the drive unit that is the holdup for older cars.
I couldn't get them to uncork my June 2016 refresh 75D... they wouldn't do it.
I assume they checked the BMS SENSOR PROTOCOL NUMBER and not just the VIN list.

Last edited:
I couldn't get them to uncork my June 2016 refresh 75D. Still plenty fast enough but it would have been nice. I even offered the service center $$$ to change out any necessary parts but they wouldn't do it.

When did you go and ask them, and what SC?

Did they say why? I really wanted to have that done after paying for the 60D --> 75D 'unlock' but if they won't pay the extra money for range since I don't need it now...