TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

75 mile round trip commute from LI to NJ – Obeservations

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by PearlModelS, Mar 27, 2013.

1. PearlModelS

PearlModelS Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Hi All,

First of all, let me say I love this car! It is truly a joy to drive. The car is not my regular commuter driver but once in a while I plan to commute to work with it, which takes me from the Long Island Expressway to the Cross Bronx, two bridges and a final blast on I-80. So I took it to work yesterday for the first time.

I did not buy the car because I wanted to go green, although it is a nice benefit. I bought the car because I liked the tech in it and the fact that you will not see too many of them on the road for a while.

Here are my good and bad impressions.

I don’t have range anxiety, I have spare tire anxiety! Driving a P85 round trip 75 miles is easy, but managing the Northeast potholes with no spare is killer! My last two cars (Mercedes s-class with 19in rims) have had blowouts and while I know it’s just a phone call to come get me, a blowout in the MS would really be a pain!

Good and Bad:

This thing is fast and I hate third lane slow pokes so I have a tendency to go around from the right. Little did I realize that when I went around someone I ended up doing 92MPH. You don’t feel the speed in the car and the quick acceleration is unreal. I have not had a speeding ticket in over 20 years, but I am predicting it in my near future.

I love one pedal driving in commuter traffic. Rarely do I have to come to a complete stop, with careful planning standard regen does the trick! Less wear and tear on the ole knee and makes for a more pleasant drive, whether in traffic or around town driving.

The car is so well laid out. The dash took a while to get used to but now everything else in inferior. It is far more intuitive than anything else out there and the screens are magnificent.

Overall, the car has been a wonderful experience.