TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

~75% of new sales are dual motor - better than expected

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nuclear Fusion, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Nuclear Fusion

The sales for dual & performance motor cars are higher than Tesla forecast, so the Q3 profit should be a lock

• Love x 1
  2. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Dual motor too cheap of an upgrade. Should have started with that instead of RWD.

3. 240W

240W Member

Totally agree!
    Other cars, selecting awd cost whatever $, and that’s just drivetrain. With the Tesla you gain like 100 hp to boot! Ludicrous :)

4. lolder

lolder Member

Dual motor is overkill in the south. When they start selling the $40K model the revolution will snowball.

• Like x 1
  5. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

The whole car is pretty much overkill. Even in "stripper" form. And that's pretty much why I've wanted this car for about 20 years.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 3
  6. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I disagree. Drive in very heavy rain. Of course I had a P85D and now a P3D so I am hardly objective.

7. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Just test drove the Performance Model 3. It felt more stable than the RWD. More planted. Rode on rails. I would get it. Even tho I don’t need it. LoL

8. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Enjoying life is about getting things you want and not settling only for things you need.

• Like x 8
  9. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Not surprising, considering they already tapped the impatient and RWD-seeking people.

• Like x 2
  10. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Good for Tesla. I'm not too surprised, AWD/P are just too fun to drive. Because of the performance and handling, they're now tapping into the enthusiast market. P100D was always a bit too expensive, a bit too heavy, and it has more battery heating issues. P3D just fills in that gap comfortably for enthusiasts; more affordable, lighter, better handling, less battery heating issues.

I think analysts that forecasted Tesla earlier in the year had no idea how popular AWD/P were gonna be. This sure is a nice surprise for Tesla.

• Like x 2
  11. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Dumb analysts think every one of the 400,000 deposits are buying their very first vehicle and would jump ship if they didn't get their $35,000 - $7,500 Model 3s.

As demonstrated by the top 5 trade ins, people are willing to spend more if they see the value.

"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get." - Warren Buffett

$64,000 is relatively NOTHING to drive a Corvette/BMW M3 killer that can make Costco runs and seat 5 people.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. Reid

Reid Member

Cool! For the price, probably worth it. I'd likely have done so without a second thought if it was available when we got ours, as the difference is trivial; this from a person who doesn't personally think EAP is worth it (where others think it's the only reason to buy the car). On the other hand, I sure don't lose any sleep about not having it.

The AWD is, in fact, overkill for most, even "in heavy rain". I'm hardly old, but come on, I've driven countless open diff and LSD RWD cars in the rain in the pre-traction control days. Modern traction control has it locked down so well the average driver won't even NOTICE, let alone have an actual negative impact from RWD.

• Like x 3
  13. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

agreed. lots of insane rain this year, and my RWD handles perfectly. Chalking it up to EV RWD being loads better than ICE RWD.

14. Yuri_G

Yuri_G Member

Source?

• Like x 1
  15. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Had the same question yesterday. waited a day to see if posted.

So yeah.. source?

16. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

• Like x 3
  17. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Source would be nice but I don’t think one would exist as far as “Tesla forecasting”. That will be saved for an official report.

With that said, we know analysts, shorts, those with an agenda will push the narrative that the 400,000 reservations are all waiting for the 35,000 Model 3 and will all cancel when Tesla fails to deliver.

Even with the LR, the luxury segment has already been decimated by Tesla. Now that AWD and P is online, Tesla will decimate the performance segment. $5000 is not much more than $49,000. Many will pay the premium since car is more expensive next year anyway.

18. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Lots of Dual Motor orders right now because there was a lot of pent up demand. Reservation holders were anxiously waiting for the dual motors, and also the white interior.

Imaging that contuing orders for the Dual Motors will depend a bit on the reports from early adopters.

• Like x 1
  19. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Once that demand is over like it has for the LR RWD M3 the sales will shift to the base model. It won't take long for that to happen.

• Disagree x 2
  20. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

You are wrong and want to know why..?

pssss - the world is bigger than North America.

• Like x 3