Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

~75% of new sales are dual motor - better than expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good for Tesla. I'm not too surprised, AWD/P are just too fun to drive. Because of the performance and handling, they're now tapping into the enthusiast market. P100D was always a bit too expensive, a bit too heavy, and it has more battery heating issues. P3D just fills in that gap comfortably for enthusiasts; more affordable, lighter, better handling, less battery heating issues.

I think analysts that forecasted Tesla earlier in the year had no idea how popular AWD/P were gonna be. This sure is a nice surprise for Tesla.

Reactions: Msjulie and MXWing
Good for Tesla. I'm not too surprised, AWD/P are just too fun to drive. Because of the performance and handling, they're now tapping into the enthusiast market. P100D was always a bit too expensive, a bit too heavy, and it has more battery heating issues. P3D just fills in that gap comfortably for enthusiasts; more affordable, lighter, better handling, less battery heating issues.

I think analysts that forecasted Tesla earlier in the year had no idea how popular AWD/P were gonna be. This sure is a nice surprise for Tesla.

Dumb analysts think every one of the 400,000 deposits are buying their very first vehicle and would jump ship if they didn't get their $35,000 - $7,500 Model 3s.

As demonstrated by the top 5 trade ins, people are willing to spend more if they see the value.

"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get." - Warren Buffett

$64,000 is relatively NOTHING to drive a Corvette/BMW M3 killer that can make Costco runs and seat 5 people.

Cool! For the price, probably worth it. I'd likely have done so without a second thought if it was available when we got ours, as the difference is trivial; this from a person who doesn't personally think EAP is worth it (where others think it's the only reason to buy the car). On the other hand, I sure don't lose any sleep about not having it.

The AWD is, in fact, overkill for most, even "in heavy rain". I'm hardly old, but come on, I've driven countless open diff and LSD RWD cars in the rain in the pre-traction control days. Modern traction control has it locked down so well the average driver won't even NOTICE, let alone have an actual negative impact from RWD.

The AWD is, in fact, overkill for most, even "in heavy rain". I'm hardly old, but come on, I've driven countless open diff and LSD RWD cars in the rain in the pre-traction control days. Modern traction control has it locked down so well the average driver won't even NOTICE, let alone have an actual negative impact from RWD.

agreed. lots of insane rain this year, and my RWD handles perfectly. Chalking it up to EV RWD being loads better than ICE RWD.

Source would be nice but I don’t think one would exist as far as “Tesla forecasting”. That will be saved for an official report.

With that said, we know analysts, shorts, those with an agenda will push the narrative that the 400,000 reservations are all waiting for the 35,000 Model 3 and will all cancel when Tesla fails to deliver.

Even with the LR, the luxury segment has already been decimated by Tesla. Now that AWD and P is online, Tesla will decimate the performance segment. $5000 is not much more than $49,000. Many will pay the premium since car is more expensive next year anyway.

Lots of Dual Motor orders right now because there was a lot of pent up demand. Reservation holders were anxiously waiting for the dual motors, and also the white interior.

Imaging that contuing orders for the Dual Motors will depend a bit on the reports from early adopters.

Reactions: xav-
Lots of Dual Motor orders right now because there was a lot of pent up demand. Reservation holders were anxiously waiting for the dual motors, and also the white interior.

Imaging that contuing orders for the Dual Motors will depend a bit on the reports from early adopters.

Once that demand is over like it has for the LR RWD M3 the sales will shift to the base model. It won't take long for that to happen.