Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75% of Y parts really common with the 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason I’ve found myself with a little more spare time lately for lower priority things like watching Munro’s Model Y tear down videos. Munro highlighted a few Tesla workarounds to use a 3 part in the Y such as the 3 rear seat mounts still being on top of the battery even though the Y seats mount elsewhere. With a totally different body shell, interior panels, suspension, HVAC, castings, ridged wiring etc I still just don’t see how they have 75% parts in common. Maybe if you count individual battery cells, circuit board chips and screw as ‘parts’?

Keep in mind, Tesla does a lot of running changes.

Things that are different between the Y they are tearing down and the 3 they tore down a couple years ago may not be changes between a Y from today and a 3 from today.

Parts counts are always challenging to use, because they should count every bolt and assembly, and some assemblies are a lot more expensive than other bolts.

It seems to me like most of the expensive parts are common - the whole pack and drivetrain, the whole dash and electronics.

I'm also following the break down closely. My takeaway so far is that the parts that count are different and are playing the part in making the Y more efficient than anticipated given the size and weight increases. Really impressed.

Things that are different between the Y they are tearing down and the 3 they tore down a couple years ago may not be changes between a Y from today and a 3 from today.

It seems to me like most of the expensive parts are common - the whole pack and drivetrain, the whole dash and electronics.

On the 3 forum I speculated that the Chinese 3 might even be more Y like as the production line is newer.
By cost I can easily see the 75%.

I'm also following the break down closely. My takeaway so far is that the parts that count are different and are playing the part in making the Y more efficient than anticipated given the size and weight increases. Really impressed.

yup me too. If all that was rolled back into the 3, it would probably go 340 miles.

Where did this 75% come from? From a numbers point of view, we need to know how many parts are in each. Is it 10,000 parts? 20,000 parts? It's probably easier to look at the 25%. So, if there are 10k to 20k parts in a car then there can be 2,500 up to 5,000 parts that are different. If they were to count each battery cell in the battery, that would be much more parts count and if they share the battery pack, that's a lot of the same parts.

So, back in 2016, that question floated a bit on the parts count of the model S. That number is over 36,000 parts.

How many parts in a Model S ? | Tesla

WSY?

Keep in mind, Tesla does a lot of running changes.

exactly this.

I just saw their video on the front motor- with them talking about how it's "different"

But in the video itself they do a close-up of the part # on each unit.

They are the same part

Only one is revision F, the other is the newer revision G.

So likely the same part (G) is what goes into a new 3 or Y today.

Munro just had an older 3 unit sitting around so he marks that as a "difference"

But it's not, in the current builds- it's instead part of the 75% same parts.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve