Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 price cut and 60 upgrade follows!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woke up and saw the news and thought I would definitely buy it. Then I made the mistake of telling my wife about it.... Without her throwing logic at me I would have already bought it.
That is so funny. I had decided the opposite. My current at-home charging and driving needs didn't really have me running to push the button on mytesla. Logically, it didn't make a lot of sense to do it.

Yesterday morning, my wife said she woke up in the middle of the night thinking we should pull the trigger on the upgrade. She has very good instincts about these things, so after mulling it over and talking about it some more, I finally did push the button. It was with her prompting in the first place that I got in at the perfect time last year. Pre-$2k increase, matte obeche wood, etc., etc. In our case, intuition won out over logic.

It really is pretty amazing when you think about it. Here I am, 3,500 miles from where my car sits in our garage. I push a button on my phone and my car downloads an update, turns on the charger and voila adds about 34 miles of range. No jet packs, but amazing times we live in.

If it is complicated in any way Tesla will just want to accept trade-ins. They seem to have a distaste for retrofits. Battery swap assumes same wheelbase and design. We know the 2170 battery is taller, so I'm not sure the battery pack will be interchangeable with the 18650 based packs. I guess we'll see.
Several years ago Tesla contemplated just this very thing. If you were on a trip, instead of supercharging for 30-40 mins; you'd pull over a pad, robot arms would unbolt your battery, lower it out of the car, raise a fully charged new pack and bolt it in. There was even a rollout presentation and video showing it took about the same time as refueling an Audi A8. Your credit card would be charged something like a $40k deposit until you came back to reclaim and reinstall "your" battery. They were going to partner with a provider who ultimately went bankrupt and then the idea just fizzled out.

Tesla seems like a very different company now...

Several years ago Tesla contemplated just this very thing. If you were on a trip, instead of supercharging for 30-40 mins; you'd pull over a pad, robot arms would unbolt your battery, lower it out of the car, raise a fully charged new pack and bolt it in. There was even a rollout presentation and video showing it took about the same time as refueling an Audi A8. Your credit card would be charged something like a $40k deposit until you came back to reclaim and reinstall "your" battery. They were going to partner with a provider who ultimately went bankrupt and then the idea just fizzled out.

Tesla seems like a very different company now...

Tesla did that as a ploy for additional California ZEV credits. Battery swap was never a viable plan.

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid
I just read the Thread about Remote S becoming a locked thread because the vendor would not become a vendor. He is a small time App author with a loyal following and not big enough to be a vendor.
OK - So with TMC booting him from this system....Is is Remote S App still a worthwhile purchase?

So psyched. I bought it as soon as i saw the $2k price tag. Before purchase 83 miles was reoprting 38% range which translates 218.5 miles. Immediatley After upgrade 82 miles was reporting 32% which translates 256 miles! I have been tracking my actual v rated milage to come up with an average rated for the 60d at 269 Wh/mi. I'll report if that has changed with the 75d upgrade.

So psyched. I bought it as soon as i saw the $2k price tag. Before purchase 83 miles was reporting 38% range which translates 218.5 miles. Immediately After upgrade 82 miles was reporting 32% which translates 256 miles! I have been tracking my actual v rated mileage to come up with an average rated for the 60d at 269 Wh/mi. I'll report if that has changed with the 75d upgrade.

Not so Psyched: I have been back calculating the rating for mileage per trip by recording the starting and end mile readout on the battery and comparing that to the actual miles driven and the Wh/mile trip average in the odometer. My 60d would consistently average 269 Wh/mi as a back calc of the rating and it would start with 222 miles total. 222X269/1000= 59.7 KW available for consumption. After my 75d upgrade (same car) my tracking of the rating back calc shows an average of 265 Wh/mi and my full battery shows that I only have 252 total rated miles. 252X265/1000= 66.8 KW available for consumption. I don't know why they would change the rating? but that cheats the mileage about 2% (Now my 60d max is 248 miles = only a 26 mile upgrade!). In other words my 7.1KW increase cost $282 a KW and now I drive a 70D (same car...). Let me know if anyone else has the same math?

Not so Psyched: I have been back calculating the rating for mileage per trip by recording the starting and end mile readout on the battery and comparing that to the actual miles driven and the Wh/mile trip average in the odometer. My 60d would consistently average 269 Wh/mi as a back calc of the rating and it would start with 222 miles total. 222X269/1000= 59.7 KW available for consumption. After my 75d upgrade (same car) my tracking of the rating back calc shows an average of 265 Wh/mi and my full battery shows that I only have 252 total rated miles. 252X265/1000= 66.8 KW available for consumption. I don't know why they would change the rating? but that cheats the mileage about 2% (Now my 60d max is 248 miles = only a 26 mile upgrade!). In other words my 7.1KW increase cost $282 a KW and now I drive a 70D (same car...). Let me know if anyone else has the same math?

Based on the firmware hack back in December it should be more like a 10kwh upgrade, not the 15 you'd assume from the badges, but even then I assume they've built in a huge "0 mile" to cover degradation. maybe some day I'll rent a generator and do a death march to see when it actually runs out. Apparently the sign you're about to start walking is the 100kw power limit.
Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs

That is weird that the rated range would change like that. i don't know if rated or ideal mileage setting learns based on your usage but perhaps that's what's going on?

My guess is at some point the FTC or some other regulator is going to crack down on Tesla's kwh ratings and make them publish the usable capacity. It's madness that we don't actually know how big the usable capacity in these batteries are from the manufacturer.

Of course Ford sold a 4.9l as a 5.0 for decades, same with Mercedes Benz's 6.2l err 6.3l V8

your mileage may vary, batteries included, consult your doctor if supercharging lasts longer than 4 hours.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Nick B