Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 price cut and 60 upgrade follows!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the power lift gate worth $500 extra?)

To answer this one question about the power lift gate... yes. Absolutely. It is a must. I would have paid up to $500 for this feature when I bought my MS 60. Unfortunately it was paired with other features that I did not care for, so I had to pass due to the high cost of that particular package.

The aftermarket kit to retrofit your lift gate to operate like the factory version costs approximately $450, not including labor. I may do this.

I had my car less than a week before I had to bring it back to the shop for fit & finish issues. In that limited time I found my lift gate easy to open, but not so easy to close. The loaners I have been driving have the power lift gate. It is such a pleasure using the key fob instead of my hand. I am a little bummed that it's now standard. :( Although the standardization may help drive the price down for the aftermarket option.

You have a tough decision to make. I probably would have bought the 75 instead of my 60 had the current pricing of the 75 been available then - shocker, I know. However I actually prefer my now discontinued body-color roof over any of the glass options.

As others stated. Keep the order. Besides no savings you would have to wait again for the car. Sawyer8888 makes a good point. You can update at any time. Get used to the 60 range with 100% charging. In Texas cold weather is not really a factor so I think you should be good . Your original reason for the 60 is still valid. I would have liked the auto lift gate but not for $3000.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Boy, I thought this was a great deal, until I did the math. I just took delivery of my 60D last week and I paid $84,000 plus the $2,000 for the upgrade so a total of 86K. I just configured a new 75D with the same options and it came out to be $82,800 that a $3,200 difference.

I wish they had a 90 day price Guarantee or something, they should of just given the upgrade for free for vehicles ordered after a certain date.

Same thing here. She reminded me that I said during one of my daily Tesla briefings to her that I would never upgrade the battery until it was $500. Now I want a 75 badge. 2k just seems like it is still too much for something that I will still never hit. I have never been below 100 miles. Ugh thanks for listening Tesla family.
listen to your wife...it will go down even more as time goes by. 40 miles still isnt worth 2k....$500 i can see...hec maybe even free in a few years..

For all of you girly men who are afraid to do the upgrade, just quietly pay the credit card bill next month and she'll never know. I guess I am lucky. It was my wife who weeks ago mentioned that we should watch for a much cheaper upgrade price when she heard the 60 was going away. Naturally I gave her credit for the upgrade last night.
pathetic...i say just wait...listen to your wife..

The upgrade would have no impact on 98% of my driving needs. But that's just me.
I looked at EVplanner to see the impact of driving a 60 vs. a 75 from DC to Orlando. Same number of stops to recharge but about an hour less time recharging.
exactly....the 60 is plenty and no diff really between it and 75...its marketing crap...it will go down even more.

I don't think it'll go up in the future - it's not a "sale". In fact, I'm wondering if and when it'll drop some more.. hopeful for $1,000 or less by end of this year? :)
of course its not a "sale"...lol...its not too profitable for them anymore now that the 75 is the standard and sells for less anyhow..it may go down more after the 3 is out...never know but worth it to wait and see if you are broke like i am after buying this overpriced car.

I am so much happier with my body-
colored roof on my 2017 60. It's quiter and it provides better sun protection. My forehead got burned yesterday from a long road trip in our 2014 loaner that has a sunroof.

After January 16th, free super charging was discontinued. We purchased our new MS 60 a little over a month later. Oh well. We still have free 400 KWH (1000 miles per year) of free super charging, which we can use for a trip to Orlando or the Keys. Naturally, we still prefer unlimited SC.

Our loaner has the power lift gate. I thought I could live without it; not so. This will have to be an aftermarket add-on. I'm sad that it's now standard and I just missed it. But I would much rather have the complete roof without the sun scorching me on my road trips.

I'll wait for the $2000 to drop to $500 before upgrading to the 75 KWH. That will happen.
THAT makes 2 of us...i will wait as well...after all we spent already on this car i dont want to give elon another 2k

Boy, I thought this was a great deal, until I did the math. I just took delivery of my 60D last week and I paid $84,000 plus the $2,000 for the upgrade so a total of 86K. I just configured a new 75D with the same options and it came out to be $82,800 that a $3,200 difference.

I wish they had a 90 day price Guarantee or something, they should of just given the upgrade for free for vehicles ordered after a certain date.
Why give it for free? The Model S 60D use to cost $73,000 and now the 75D cost $74,500 so the lower price must be something else, did you order the glass roof?

With the glass roof and PUP options, my original 60D cost ended up the same cost as the new 75D pricing with same specs.
Tesla lower the price of Model S 90D with $2000, do you think that Tesla should give back $2000 to everyone who have bought a 90D? The upgraded charger cost $1900 to activate afterwards so with your thinking Tesla should activate it on all 90D owners only because they lower the price for a new one.

It happens often that a manufacture lower the price of something that have been for the market some times but that don't mean that they should compensate everyone who have bought the product even if I do understand it's irritating.

Tesla lower the price of Model S 90D with $2000, do you think that Tesla should give back $2000 to everyone who have bought a 90D? The upgraded charger cost $1900 to activate afterwards so with your thinking Tesla should activate it on all 90D owners only because they lower the price for a new one.

It happens often that a manufacture lower the price of something that have been for the market some times but that don't mean that they should compensate everyone who have bought the product even if I do understand it's irritating.

As one previous post in this thread suggested, a 90-day price guarantee would be the right thing to do.

The pain associated with these regular price changes is not what a company should want to impose on its customers. It puts a bad taste in our mouths which won't soon be forgotten - next EV purchase?

I know that for me, I will be extremely cautious when purchasing my next EV, which I would prefer to be Tesla. Given this recent pricing adjustment, I would be willing to wait as long as possible and to not settle for any shortcomings (lack of power lift gate).

It's a great car, however those of us who purchase just before a major price change like this feel as though we have been duped in a way. It's not like Elon and his team got out of bed last Friday and initiated their discussions regarding Monday's pricing. They knew about it well before many of us placed our orders.

Why give it for free? The Model S 60D use to cost $73,000 and now the 75D cost $74,500 so the lower price must be something else, did you order the glass roof?

Yes, I ordered the glass roof. Since there is no negotiation on price and the design studio changes so frequently , I would think a 30 day price guaranty or something would be nice. I understand that I was ok with the price for what I was getting at the time of my purchase, it just sucks that I could of saved some money if I would of waited , hence give the upgrade for free for buyers that are within some time frame.

I have purchased 3 Tesla's over the last 3 years and two of them were discontinued before I took delivery. I love the fact that Tesla doesn't do year model changes but it does have its drawbacks.

The more I thought about it, in traditional dealer car sales some people pay MSRP and across the street at another dealer the same car with a strong negotiator ( buyer) may buy the car for 2K under MSRP. I'm the guy who paid MSRP in this purchase LOL.

Anyone check to see if they got the upgrade for free overnight? Walked out to my S60 this AM and my 100% charge showed 258 miles! I'm like WTF?!?!?! GUI still shows S60 and no sleepwalking charges on my CC this AM, lol. Anyone care to explain???

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 80
As one previous post in this thread suggested, a 90-day price guarantee would be the right thing to do.

The pain associated with these regular price changes is not what a company should want to impose on its customers. It puts a bad taste in our mouths which won't soon be forgotten - next EV purchase?

I know that for me, I will be extremely cautious when purchasing my next EV, which I would prefer to be Tesla. Given this recent pricing adjustment, I would be willing to wait as long as possible and to not settle for any shortcomings (lack of power lift gate).

It's a great car, however those of us who purchase just before a major price change like this feel as though we have been duped in a way. It's not like Elon and his team got out of bed last Friday and initiated their discussions regarding Monday's pricing. They knew about it well before many of us placed our orders.

Great point about Elon and his team, this was calculated. They have no problem announcing that prices are going up on the P100D and allow time to order one before the price goes up, why can't it work both ways and announce a big price decrease on the 75 and let buyers know?

Great point about Elon and his team, this was calculated. They have no problem announcing that prices are going up on the P100D and allow time to order one before the price goes up, why can't it work both ways and announce a big price decrease on the 75 and let buyers know?
Osborne effect. In one case they are encouraging you to buy sooner. in the other case they are encouraging you to wait.

The Osborne effect is a term referring to the unintended consequences of a company announcing a future product, unaware of the risks involved or when the timing is misjudged, which ends up having a negative impact on the sales of the current product.

Last edited: