Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 S and X discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. At the end of the ribbon you need to go sideways (change direction). It looks to me that the ribbon placement will cause some friction of the coolant?

I don't follow. The coolant doesn't change direction. It flows in one direction only in the ribbons. It goes down from one level to the next, but it's always flowing in one direction, as far as the coolant is concerned. It's no different than coolant in any radiator or a/c condenser.

If you're talking about the very end of the ribbon, there would likely be a manifold at the top and the bottom running across all the cooling ribbons in parallel. Whatever it is, this isn't rocket science and I'm sure the battery design engineers could solve these relatively simple problems.

2. When the pack is punctured from the bottom multiple cells are vulnerable, in horizontal placement. Also, the ribbon will be 100% damaged so it's going to be difficult to repair the pack after such incident.

I think that's still holds true for the current battery pack. Also, if you look at the diagram above, each cell only has cooling on one side, not both, so the lowest most cooling ribbon could be designed so it's between the lowest layer of batteries and the second lowest. There's no need design it so the cooling ribbon is on the very bottom of the pack. So if there's a puncture, there's less of a chance of hitting the cooling ribbon.

Still, these are easy problems to solve. I just threw the idea out there as a potential way to fit 2170 cells into the existing MS/MX battery pack form factor not requiring any redesign of the sheet metal of the chassis. I didn't do the math, but that could end up with less overall cell capacity rather than more. I don't know.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Latest completely baseless and speculative thought:

Temporarily reducing S/X demand frees up production time and capacity to focus on retooling the line for the updated car.

Normally they would just kick out the delivery schedule by a month or whatever is required to do the changeover. Once you start removing the major production tooling, it's not like you can go back for 1 shift per day.

Something is cooking for sure. The devil is in the production planning details. But there's no way they're going without a 75-ish price vehicle for a long period. It would crush their sales targets.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Well, they’ve just updated. Looks like the only change is a removal of the 75D. Just one pack choice, in either standard or performance.

Surprising.

Not in Norway:

K0bXvJJ.png

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
The S/X order configuration web pages look very strange to me with only one battery size; that has never happened before in Tesla history, as far as I know. I expect that very soon (within days?) there will be at least two battery choices available, and I expect them to be significantly larger than the 75/100 choices we have become used to.

Reactions: henderrj
The S/X order configuration web pages look very strange to me with only one battery size; that has never happened before in Tesla history, as far as I know. I expect that very soon (within days?) there will be at least two battery choices available, and I expect them to be significantly larger than the 75/100 choices we have become used to.

I agree. There are a lot of prospective 75 buyers, for whom a 3 doesn't work, that are now without an option.

I expect an announcement in coming days - especially given Elon's tweet around LR & SR terminology.

I agree. There are a lot of prospective 75 buyers, for whom a 3 doesn't work, that are now without an option.

I expect an announcement in coming days - especially given Elon's tweet around LR & SR terminology.

Also, Electric & Teslarati have been uncharacteristically quiet, given that it would be quite a shocker for Tesla to simply eliminate the biggest selling version of the S/X. Methinks they know something is coming.

Reactions: ohmman

I have an AP2 S 90D with free unlimited lifetime Supercharging up for sale at less than 75D prices if some lucky buyer needs a car in the interim. ;)

Also, Electric & Teslarati have been uncharacteristically quiet, given that it would be quite a shocker for Tesla to simply eliminate the biggest selling version of the S/X. Methinks they know something is coming.
Electrek ran a story 5 days ago about Elon announcing the 75 pack would be going away today.
Tesla is discontinuing 75 kWh battery pack for Model S and Model X
Teslerati ran their story 4 days ago.
Tesla's 75 kWh battery pack removal opens doors to 'Track Mode' for Model S & X
And now that has happened, but nothing has replaced it yet. So there’s really nothing new to write about. I don’t believe either of those sources has any inside information about what’s coming next.

And now that has happened, but nothing has replaced it yet. So there’s really nothing new to write about. I don’t believe either of those sources has any inside information about what’s coming next.

Honestly Electrek has made Tesla stories with much less... 75 kWh finally actually disappearing and nothing replacing it could well be a story for them in normal times. It is not impossible Electrek is sitting on a story given the silence though maybe they have just been busy or something.

Honestly Electrek has made Tesla stories with much less... 75 kWh finally actually disappearing and nothing replacing it could well be a story for them in normal times. It is not impossible Electrek is sitting on a story given the silence though maybe they have just been busy or something.

Possible I suppose, Electrek is Tesla's state media for all intents and purposes - but I'm still firmly in the camp of nothing big happening for a couple months at least. I just can't see any possible way that major S/X changes are imminent at this point. They're clearly working in that direction with the slow but steady discontinuing of options in the past several months - but we have longer to wait.