TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

$750 Hitch option required to install bike rack?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Quesder, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Quesder

Quesder Member

Hi All,
    I am trying to configure a Model X 75D but it keeps over budget. I want to bring my bikes to trails, but a short study on Internet tells me that you need to have the $750 hitch option to install a bike rack. Is there any other options to do that? Thanks.

Regards,

Quesder

2. thisisnew

thisisnew Member

That's the only option at this time. There used to be an accessory hitch offering, but Tesla never figured out a cheaper solution than the standard class 2 hitch. Many buyers end up getting the tow package for free.

3. Quesder

Quesder Member

How do they get that for free? Nagging the sales person?

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Just to clarify, according to the description (since the pictures just show a tow ball) this is a bike rack for the hitch that you have to choose the $750 Tow Package to use.

As others have said, no, there is currently no other option for getting a hitch to mount a bike rack to.

5. seira321

seira321 Member

If having the latest tech and choice of color is not your main concern, maybe try going to a Tesla store and see what they have in inventory that closely matches to the one you want? I just picked up a 90D that included an Accessory Hitch without extra cost.
    Good luck!

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  6. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Nice find! Great price too.

• Like x 1
  7. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

Are there any aftermarket option for adding a 2" hitch to a model X that folks can recommend?

8. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Check with your local service center. Reports are that they are being allowed to add them after delivery now.

Otherwise, no, I have not heard of any. Torklift Central, the makers of the Ecohitch that fits the Model S, doesn't yet have one available for the X.

9. josher32

josher32 Member

I was told by my salesman in November they couldn't install after delivery if you didn't configure with tow hitch.

10. josher32

josher32 Member

11. flar

flar Member

The information that they could retrofit the hitch was deemed to be recent info when I asked near the end of December, so you might want to have them ask their service department again (and to forward the query on if they haven't heard anything locally yet).

12. josher32

josher32 Member

I'm sorry I meant to say Service department told me these third party hitches voided waurantee in November.

13. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

This law states otherwise, I have these hitches on all three of our Model S's. Absolutely no impact to the warranty.

• Like x 2
  14. acarlos1000

acarlos1000 Member

Thanks @Xenoilphobe I just installed the EcoHitch on my Model S and this is very handy. Did you had any issues when needed to repair anything under Warranty? Did you have to ever mention this law at a Tesla Service Center?

15. josher32

josher32 Member

I'm not reading anything from this about vehicle hitchs. The service guy said its unlikely the hitch might cause a problem but if it did for the car Tesla wouldn't cover it.

16. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

#17 Xenoilphobe, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    No issues and I had to have a powertrain swap at one point.

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

• Like x 1
  17. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

Currently looking at an inventory MX that did not have the accessory Hitch or tow option. The SC told me what they told @josher, there is no way to retro fit. They did say that I could go aftermarket but it would "void the warranty of the affected part of the frame". As you've stated @goneskiian, there does not seem to be an aftermarket option yet for the Model X, not one that I have found. This is a show stopper for purchase if I cannot install a 2" receiver. I do not need to tow, but I need the ability to carry 6 people and bikes, Skis/snowboards or a small cargo box to expand storage so that it serve the same purpose as the vehicle it is replacing.

After reading both of these threads, there is a chance that the hardware is included. This was an early model and they may have just added it in for simplicity sake, like Tesla did with the active spoiler. I'll check the vehicle to see if this is the case. Does anyone have any other suggestions or places I could look for this info?

18. flar

flar Member