Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$750 Hitch option required to install bike rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I am trying to configure a Model X 75D but it keeps over budget. I want to bring my bikes to trails, but a short study on Internet tells me that you need to have the $750 hitch option to install a bike rack. Is there any other options to do that? Thanks.

Regards,

Quesder

Hithere,
I bought a Customized Hitch Rack for Tesla Model X on eBay weeks ago. It's useful.
sb6TLjXt.jpg
Just to clarify, according to the description (since the pictures just show a tow ball) this is a bike rack for the hitch that you have to choose the $750 Tow Package to use.

As others have said, no, there is currently no other option for getting a hitch to mount a bike rack to.

Hi All,
I am trying to configure a Model X 75D but it keeps over budget. I want to bring my bikes to trails, but a short study on Internet tells me that you need to have the $750 hitch option to install a bike rack. Is there any other options to do that? Thanks.

Regards,

Quesder

If having the latest tech and choice of color is not your main concern, maybe try going to a Tesla store and see what they have in inventory that closely matches to the one you want? I just picked up a 90D that included an Accessory Hitch without extra cost.
Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: ModelX
Check with your local service center. Reports are that they are being allowed to add them after delivery now.

Otherwise, no, I have not heard of any. Torklift Central, the makers of the Ecohitch that fits the Model S, doesn't yet have one available for the X.
I was told by my salesman in November they couldn't install after delivery if you didn't configure with tow hitch.

I was told by my salesman in November they couldn't install after delivery if you didn't configure with tow hitch.
The information that they could retrofit the hitch was deemed to be recent info when I asked near the end of December, so you might want to have them ask their service department again (and to forward the query on if they haven't heard anything locally yet).

Thanks @Xenoilphobe I just installed the EcoHitch on my Model S and this is very handy. Did you had any issues when needed to repair anything under Warranty? Did you have to ever mention this law at a Tesla Service Center?
No issues and I had to have a powertrain swap at one point.

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: acarlos1000
Check with your local service center. Reports are that they are being allowed to add them after delivery now.

Otherwise, no, I have not heard of any. Torklift Central, the makers of the Ecohitch that fits the Model S, doesn't yet have one available for the X.

Currently looking at an inventory MX that did not have the accessory Hitch or tow option. The SC told me what they told @josher, there is no way to retro fit. They did say that I could go aftermarket but it would "void the warranty of the affected part of the frame". As you've stated @goneskiian, there does not seem to be an aftermarket option yet for the Model X, not one that I have found. This is a show stopper for purchase if I cannot install a 2" receiver. I do not need to tow, but I need the ability to carry 6 people and bikes, Skis/snowboards or a small cargo box to expand storage so that it serve the same purpose as the vehicle it is replacing.

After reading both of these threads, there is a chance that the hardware is included. This was an early model and they may have just added it in for simplicity sake, like Tesla did with the active spoiler. I'll check the vehicle to see if this is the case. Does anyone have any other suggestions or places I could look for this info?