Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

750 Miles in ‘23 LR Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, committed to doing the annual ski trip from London to the French alps in the Y/LR which is 750 miles door to door. Some learnings from me:

The Supercharger network appears to be as good as they say (in France 😆).

2C144C3C-1E7A-4163-9681-AD92380E42E1.jpeg

The nav planned it all out perfectly and there was only one instance where I arrived with 7% but I was sitting at 85mph for a while that stretch. I find that 70mph-75mph is the best balance for battery / progress. First experience with 250KW charging 🏆 Throttling past the point of reaching next destination is bit annoying. Was worried about charger congestion as I went during school break but often I was the only one there lol. The French don’t seem to like EVs as all the Teslas I saw were Brits / other countries.

Ride is better on the motorway but still not great. Seats gave me lumbar aches that my BMWs never did (both had lumbar support) and I did much longer trips in those. Think they’re also too soft.

Three instances of phantom braking whilst on AP, one quite scary, where there was zero danger - that’s too many really.

9EAAD853-2D5F-4DF4-890C-D1FA0332BFFC.jpeg

That’s me 2,000 meters up. It’s been parked in sub zero temps day and night and so far only losing 1% per 24 hours. Not 1% of total battery just a 1% unit - no sentry mode tho. Dual Motor helpful up here too.

All in all, impressed and confident of doing longer trips in it. I did bring the mobile charger (and a long extension) as a last resort but was never close to needing it.

Well, committed to doing the annual ski trip from London to the French alps in the Y/LR which is 750 miles door to door. Some learnings from me:

The Supercharger network appears to be as good as they say (in France 😆).

View attachment 907052

The nav planned it all out perfectly and there was only one instance where I arrived with 7% but I was sitting at 85mph for a while that stretch. I find that 70mph-75mph is the best balance for battery / progress. First experience with 250KW charging 🏆 Throttling past the point of reaching next destination is bit annoying. Was worried about charger congestion as I went during school break but often I was the only one there lol. The French don’t seem to like EVs as all the Teslas I saw were Brits / other countries.

Ride is better on the motorway but still not great. Seats gave me lumbar aches that my BMWs never did (both had lumbar support) and I did much longer trips in those. Think they’re also too soft.

Three instances of phantom braking whilst on AP, one quite scary, where there was zero danger - that’s too many really.

View attachment 907057

That’s me 2,000 meters up. It’s been parked in sub zero temps day and night and so far only losing 1% per 24 hours. Not 1% of total battery just a 1% unit - no sentry mode tho. Dual Motor helpful up here too.

All in all, impressed and confident of doing longer trips in it. I did bring the mobile charger (and a long extension) as a last resort but was never close to needing it.
I enjoyed reading your trip summary, highlighting the good and bad about Tesla. Keep them coming.

Reactions: Ratch
Totally agree about the seats, mine are the same, great for an hour or so but on series miles they are the worst I’ve ever had on any car, way to soft with very little support and I’ve never been able to get that comfy position. My 1984 fiesta 1.1 had better seats 😂. Thanks for sharing your trip.

They're actually worse than I thought as my lower back is still sore 3 days ;after and I don't have any back issues usually. Will need to keep a lumbar cushion about for long trips. Feels like coming off a long uncomfortable flight and my back might 'give' any second.

I think it's not clear. Both LG and Panasonic supply batteries to the Chinese factory. The Panasonic ones are better with higher energy density. US LR only uses Panasonic so far.

Any way to tell?