Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$7500 Tax Credit Procedures...

MichFin

May 8, 2015
Detroit, MI
You have owe at least $7500 in taxes. Not to be confused with refund or payment at the end of the year.

For example line 47 of your 1040 tax form must be > $7500

liuping

Jul 23, 2013
San Diego
Are you referring to the AMT?

I thought this withstood the AMT...an I wrong about that?
AMT does not effect the EV tax refund, but not everyone has $7500 in tax liability.

It's not a credit, so if you don't owe that much tax in the year, you will not get the full $7500.

brec

Aug 3, 2015
Reno & Las Vegas, NV
AMT does not effect the EV tax refund, but not everyone has $7500 in tax liability.

It's not a credit, so if you don't owe that much tax in the year, you will not get the full $7500.

It is a credit, so ... [rest of sentence correct].

The title of IRS Form 8936 is, "Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit"

Note that the form linked in the OP is for tax year 2014. The 2015 version appears not to be available yet.

jlucero

Jun 23, 2015
DALLAS
my accountant is asking about the following certificate? anyone know anything about this? (in the green box)
tesla.jpg

S3XY

Nov 24, 2015
Buffalo, NY

I think what you mean is that it's not a refundable credit, i.e. if your tax liability is less than $7500 (say $6000) you do not get a refund check for the difference ($1500).

PatD

Dec 21, 2014
Broomall, PA
You have owe at least $7500 in taxes. Not to be confused with refund or payment at the end of the year.

For example line 47 of your 1040 tax form must be > $7500

If someone has this problem (Is driving a Model S and doesn't owe at least $7500 in taxes), please forward me your tax accountant's number ASAP!

Modeler

Jan 31, 2015
Washington, DC
If someone has this problem (Is driving a Model S and doesn't owe at least $7500 in taxes), please forward me your tax accountant's number ASAP!

Actually, it's pretty easy to get yourself in a situation where you don't owe $7500. It is not about your total taxes, but the mount you owe at the end of the year. If you were not under withholding, you would not have an amount to pay. I ended up cancelling my Q4 estimated tax payment completely to ensure I have over $7500 still to pay come April 15.

mmccord

Dec 9, 2014
Pine Bush, NY
Actually, it's pretty easy to get yourself in a situation where you don't owe $7500. It is not about your total taxes, but the mount you owe at the end of the year. If you were not under withholding, you would not have an amount to pay. I ended up cancelling my Q4 estimated tax payment completely to ensure I have over $7500 still to pay come April 15.

This is incorrect. It is about the amount of taxes you pay, not the amount you owe in April.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa

This is completely incorrect.

[Setting fees aside, and oversimplifying it] you need to pay uncle Sam $12. You can pay $1/month off your paycheck and owe nothing in April, or you could pay $3/paycheck and get a refund of $24 in April. Or you could pay $0/paycheck and owe $12 in April. In all 3 cases you pay the same amount of taxes. It wouldn't be logical or fair to say that you can only file for the car tax credit if you underpaid your taxes throughout the year.

It's definitely dependant on the amount of taxes you NEED to pay, and not on what you ALREADY paid.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC