Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D/100D Range Upgrade Inequity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a 60D to 75D upgrade is 41 rated miles for $6,500 (and a relatively meaningless top speed increase of 10mph). The 90D to 100D upgrade is 41 rated miles for $3,000. Seems like they should reprice the 75D upgrade. I'm sure a lot more people would buy it at 3k plus the 500 change fee. That all said, I get that they are pricing the 60 down to get more buyers in the entry segment. Just makes for an interesting comparison. Either way, 6,500 (plus 500) for 41 miles is a lot.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4
Maybe it's just like buying batteries at the store.

At Target.com:

4 Energizer batteries are $3.50
6 Energizer batteries are $5
10 Energizer batteries are $8
24 Energy batteries are $10.

So it costs $1.50 to upgrade from 4 to 6. (2 batteries). that's 75cents/battery
it costs $3 to upgrade from 6 to 10. (4 batteries). that's 75 cents per battery
but it costs $2 to upgrade from 10 to 24 batteries (12 batteries). that's only 16 cents per battery!

I agree, Tesla won't get too many bites to upgrade from a 60 to a 75 at current prices.
HOWEVER: if they make it too cheap to upgrade then people won't buy the 75!

they will drop the price when they need a revenue boost to hit their quarterly numbers.

• Funny
Reactions: chillaban
So a 60D to 75D upgrade is 41 rated miles for $6,500 (and a relatively meaningless top speed increase of 10mph). The 90D to 100D upgrade is 41 rated miles for $3,000. Seems like they should reprice the 75D upgrade. I'm sure a lot more people would buy it at 3k plus the 500 change fee. That all said, I get that they are pricing the 60 down to get more buyers in the entry segment. Just makes for an interesting comparison. Either way, 6,500 (plus 500) for 41 miles is a lot.

I suspect that the 90->100 upgrade is currently "on-sale" to make up for the loss of FUSC, at least in the US. In the non-US regions the upgrade costs about twice as much which puts it right in line with the cost of the 60D to 75D upgrade. So don't be surprised if the price changes soon.

The 60D price point is priced lower to keep the entry Model S in the $60K range, and it's likely they'll continue offering a software upgrade to a larger battery pack from the 60D.

With the 90D and 100D battery packs different, and only a $3K price difference, it appears likely Tesla will soon be discontinuing the 90D - and offer only one "longest range" non-performance model.

Tesla likely surprised almost everyone with the $3K price increase for the 100D. The P100D increase was around $10K, compared to the P90D.

Agreed. Or as I look at it: $13,000 to go from a 75D to a 100D (Model X) for 58 more miles is also a lot. You could buy half a Model 3 for that money! (After tax incentives in California...)

You also get a performance upgrade though with that, so not quite apples to apples. Still a lot of money though.

I suspect that the 90->100 upgrade is currently "on-sale" to make up for the loss of FUSC, at least in the US. In the non-US regions the upgrade costs about twice as much which puts it right in line with the cost of the 60D to 75D upgrade. So don't be surprised if the price changes soon.

I think you're correct, and might be a capital raising strategy. I don't normally track Tesla's inventory but the 800+ Model S in new inventory right now seems high. I wonder if they had issues moving cars and needed to raise cash for productions. Tesla was able to drive demand with the end of FUSC to get people off the fence. Then, they wanted to see if they could convert some of those to spend an additional $500 in change fee + Upgrade fee to generate more capital to support the launch of the 3.

Once the 3 launches, I think we will see a bump in the cost of the 100 and discontinuation of the 90.

Seems like they should reprice the 75D upgrade. I'm sure a lot more people would buy it at 3k plus the 500 change fee. T

I would probably upgrade right now if it was $3k to go from a 60 to a 75