Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D 120v charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night at a friend's house I had to use a regular 120v to charge my 75D. Although tesla official number shows model x charges at 2 mile per hour using 5-15 adapter on 120v, I observed 1.5% per hour charge speed which translates to around 3.55 mile per hour. In 14 hours I managed to charge 21%, from 39% to 60%. This is much better than I expected, and I was able to do my return trip without stopping at supercharger.

The car shows charging rate of 1-2 kw and 12A.

Just want to provide an experience/ data point for folks who had to resort to 120v charging.

My S charges at 4 miles per hour, roughly, or just under 100 miles per day when I don't drive. That steady trickle adds up. It turns out for me to be completely adequate. That's when I realized that charging speed isn't really important. It's how much time you spend actively *waiting* on the charge.

Reactions: KerryOH
Last night at a friend's house I had to use a regular 120v to charge my 75D. Although tesla official number shows model x charges at 2 mile per hour using 5-15 adapter on 120v, I observed 1.5% per hour charge speed which translates to around 3.55 mile per hour. In 14 hours I managed to charge 21%, from 39% to 60%. This is much better than I expected, and I was able to do my return trip without stopping at supercharger.

Just want to provide an experience/ data point for folks who had to resort to 120v charging.
Don’t expect to do that in winter.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan

W = A x V. If you know the actual voltage you can calculate the actual power. It's unlikely it's actually 120v (probably 100-110v) but (120)(12) = 1.44kW.

My main point is that the 120v charge rate is much faster than Tesla's official number, making it somewhat useful for overnight charging without available 240v.

Parasitic losses are usually higher. You probably had an ideal set of conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan