TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

75D 120v charging

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Mewtwo, Sep 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Member

Last night at a friend's house I had to use a regular 120v to charge my 75D. Although tesla official number shows model x charges at 2 mile per hour using 5-15 adapter on 120v, I observed 1.5% per hour charge speed which translates to around 3.55 mile per hour. In 14 hours I managed to charge 21%, from 39% to 60%. This is much better than I expected, and I was able to do my return trip without stopping at supercharger.

The car shows charging rate of 1-2 kw and 12A.

Just want to provide an experience/ data point for folks who had to resort to 120v charging.

• Informative x 2
  2. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

My S charges at 4 miles per hour, roughly, or just under 100 miles per day when I don't drive. That steady trickle adds up. It turns out for me to be completely adequate. That's when I realized that charging speed isn't really important. It's how much time you spend actively *waiting* on the charge.

• Like x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Don’t expect to do that in winter.

• Informative x 1
  4. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Member

In winter all I need to do is to take a 10 min detour and stop at a supercharger.

My main point is that the 120v charge rate is much faster than Tesla's official number, making it somewhat useful for overnight charging without available 240v.

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

W = A x V. If you know the actual voltage you can calculate the actual power. It's unlikely it's actually 120v (probably 100-110v) but (120)(12) = 1.44kW.

Parasitic losses are usually higher. You probably had an ideal set of conditions.

• Informative x 1
  6. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I bet the Tesla numbers are purposely pessimistic. Better to have people pleasantly surprised than whining about charging speed.