Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D AP2 19'' Tire wear out fast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I know we had tons of discussion about tires in this forum, but most of them are about older models. So I want to get some info about new owners.

I have a Dec 2016 75D with 19'' wheel. The OEM tires was Goodyear Eagle RS-A2. when brand new, the tread depth was measured at 10/32''. I just put 7800 miles on my car with half freeway, half city drive, and tires are measured:
front: 6/32''
rear: 5/32'' (all has even wear means the alignment is still good)

Does this sound normal to you guys? I do find myself accelerate a lot faster with this car, but I'm not a racer, and I don't drive my car like crazy.

I have a Dec '16 S60 with 16k miles. Same 19" Goodyears.

I foolishly didn't rotate the tires at all until ~12k. At that point the rears were almost completely toast and the fronts still looked brand new.

Part of the reason I didn't rotate them is because I'm a noob and this is my first experience with a car that so heavily wears the REAR tires and not the fronts. I'd occasionally check one of the front tires during a wash and they were tip-top, so I thought nothing of it.

I live in the mountains, so lots of steering, braking, and historically this was all done in an ICE car with a big heavy engine up front, so I've *always* had the front tires wear before the rears. Guess that doesn't hold up in a 5000 pound RWD EV where all the acceleration and nearly all the braking is happening out back.

I rotated the bald ones to the front, hoping they'll last through the dry season long enough for me to sufficiently wear out the rears. At that point I'll likely replace them with something like Michelin Primacies that have a bit better tread rating. Not convinced the magic foam is all it's cracked up to be.

Maybe I'll even rotate the new ones. Lesson learned. :oops:

I have an S85D. I have 24000 miles with now 4/32 left..totally even on all 4 tires as it has been all along.
I have even wear and so have done no rotations for the last 10k miles. Doesn't seem required.

That said my wear isn't that great. But I guess I drive a bit hard? ;-)

I know 21 inch tires wear faster, there is less tire there in the first place but wear of the 19s seem to be all over the map. I heard of one case where someone got over 40K miles out of his original tires on a classic Model S.

I just checked my tire tread, 8/32 front and back and the car is just shy of 9K miles. These are the Goodyear 19s and the car is just shy of a year old. A lot of cornering especially hard cornering will wear tires faster, so will quick acceleration and deceleration.

I'm still running my original set of Michelin Primacies (19) on an April 2015 build S85D just short of 33K miles, still have 5/32-6/32" all the way around, tires never rotated. I've specifically asked about rotation during servicing and they said that given how my tires were wearing so evenly, this wasn't needed.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: rjcbox and SMAlset
I have a December 2016 60D with TST 19" on pirelli p zero all season plus
My wear was the exact same as yours when I got it checked 2 months ago at 8,000 miles. I'm almost at 12,000 now and expecting to get new tires around my first service. That being said I do drive this car like a crazy person so the tire wear wasn't surprising to me

July 2016 S90D. It just came back from service at 14750 miles with 8/32 fronts and 9/32 rears. A little surprised as rears usually wear a bit faster, but this is a dual-motor car, so more weight on the front - perhaps makes sense. Overall I'm not unhappy with these - original Goodyear 19"..I drive what I call "spirited", but I'm not a maniac (anymore!);-)) Mostly freeway driving..

75D with 16k miles on Goodyear Eagle Touring, tires never rotated. Even 7/32 on every measurement on every tire at first service last week.

I was surprised that they rotated the tires and adjusted alignment. This was at the new San Antonio SC, so maybe it was a training exercise...

Rear seem to wear more from launches from stop lights, I think a W or Y rating might help. I got new ZR ones I am going to try.
I bought a S, it has M&S on it , getting rid of those.
Man at tire rack said if we launch so often, our rear or drive tires will suffer.

75D - original goodyear 19 inch tires - 98W - never rotated - mostly conservative driver - mostly highway - enjoy an occasional swift corner - first service ever was at 26,000 miles and was told wear was relatively even and that I had about 10k more left on the tires.

Seems to me that dual motor cars driven calmly don't really need much in the way of rotation because
1. Weight is balanced between front and rear
2. Regen braking (all I do) is balanced between front and rear
3. Forward propulsion force for accel is balanced between F and R (unless launching)

Planning to replace tires with the all season Michelin Primacy MXM4 at Costco which I was told are guaranteed for 55,000 miles. Given that this is a heavy car and hearing what others are saying it looks like I'm going to get a little money back from Costco.

75D - original goodyear 19 inch tires - 98W - never rotated - mostly conservative driver - mostly highway - enjoy an occasional swift corner - first service ever was at 26,000 miles and was told wear was relatively even and that I had about 10k more left on the tires.

Seems to me that dual motor cars driven calmly don't really need much in the way of rotation because
1. Weight is balanced between front and rear
2. Regen braking (all I do) is balanced between front and rear
3. Forward propulsion force for accel is balanced between F and R (unless launching)

Planning to replace tires with the all season Michelin Primacy MXM4 at Costco which I was told are guaranteed for 55,000 miles. Given that this is a heavy car and hearing what others are saying it looks like I'm going to get a little money back from Costco.

You will still get more out of the tires if your rotate them as your rear camber is far more negative than the front camber. This applies doubly if your alignment isn't symmetrical.