Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe we are interpreting the data wrong. Rated Range may simply be a snapshot on current variables. It's getting warmer now (over freezing) and RR is increasing

upload_2019-3-29_19-31-50.png
upload_2019-3-29_19-31-50.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
Dec 2017 build

Back in late Oct 2018, I saw 246 miles on 100% charge with about 24k on the odometer. I figured that was my 5% degradation the battery would experience. Since then, never charged above 90%, with most of my daily charges being between 70-80%.

But, just a couple weeks ago with nearly 35k on the clock, I did another 100% charge, but only got 235 miles. Battery was still cell-balancing as BMS was showing 99% and trickle charging at a low rate, but I had to unplug and leave. However, it looks like I lost another ~10 miles (~3.8%) in less than 6 months.

First was kind of upset, but it's really not a big deal here in CA with superchargers & destination chargers about everywhere. Plus, my S seems to be fairly efficient - lifetime 280 wh/mi and I usually beat what the trip planner says by 3-5%. Setting the display to show percentage rather than miles psychologically feels better.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
it has 40,000 miles. Are usually super charge it about halfway once or twice a week during lunch and do a full charge at home overnight maybe once a week. Charging far more than I thought I would as I don't have a really long commute. I will probably take it in again but last time they were so backed up it took them a week to look at it and I was a little bummed out about that . Don't get me wrong I'm a fan and I own the stock the car and the solar but the battery issue is my only complaint...They told me to just charge it at home only for a month and go from near empty, and see if there is improvement but I honestly haven't been very diligent about it.

My April '17 75D was at 252 miles when new. Now, at 10,000 miles, it's at 250, but it was a little less over the winter.
Just to keep thinks in perspective, I also have a 2003 Accord V6. When new, it would give me 26-27 mpg on mixed driving. Now, at age 16 with 172,000 miles, it can't do better than 24.5. That's a range loss of about 35 miles on a 100% charge of gasoline.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hood7
I've been charging to 90% since around November 2018. I noticed that every once in a while it'll only charge to [median 90% range] - 2 miles.

For recently my median range dropped from 219 to 218 and every once in a while my charged range will only go to 216. Then on the next charge it goes back up to 218. At this time, I haven't been able to charge to 219 for well over a month.

FWIW, I treat my 75D pretty badly compared to other people on this sub (charge to 90% even when I am not going far, charge to 100% once a week, use superchargers 4-5 times per week, have let the battery get down below 5% three times, have left the car parked overnight with less than 10%, etc) and have only "lost" 1 mile of range. When I got my car new in September 2018 it had 8 miles on the odometer & 100% charge was 252 miles. I'm at 8,900 miles since then and it charges to 251 miles. I don't think anyone knows, honestly. BMS can be weird.

Interesting I have taken delivery of my 75D Late August and I have 11850 miles and always charge at 90%. My rated range is 218 at 90% it used to be 228....not sure what my 100% range is at this point but I supercharge about twice a week and once a week my battery will hit around 10-20% range.

Besides my newly-acquired 2016 60D (just unlocked to 75 last week), we have a Gen2 Volt. On its guess-o-meter for expected range, it looks at previous usage and adjusts accordingly, so even though it is rated at 53 miles, in the summer it shows/we get 60-65 easily and in winter it shows/we get 38-43 miles before the ICE starts. Since I have only had the car for several months, I thought the lower mileage it displayed (204 on full charge for the 60D, 235 for the now-75D) would change as temps go up and heater usage goes down. Is that not the case with how Tesla programmed the MS mileage?

And I noticed the option for two mileage setting. Mine is on rated (instead of ideal). If one does mainly city driving with a light foot with minimal 70MPH trips, does it make sense to use it?

Thanks

You can use whatever you want, after all it’s just a number, but “ideal” is more like “laughably ideal”, even in ideal conditions with a light foot.

The rated mile display on your Tesla is not a “guess-o-meter” like the Volt and Leaf have. Driving habits have no effect on it. You may see a very slight increase as the weather warms, but generally speaking you’re not going to see any dramatic swing.

Reactions: FMinMI and croman
41345 miles (currently, 850 mile return trip scheduled Monday). 100% charge was 242 on Wednesday. Last year it was 244 for the same trip. I will charge to 100% on Monday before leaving and see what I get. Sometimes I get a little more after the trip since I discharge to and balance the pack.

Mine never hit 259 (advertised). Best I got was 249 after I paid for the unlock about 5 months after delivery (when Tesla dropped the upgrade price from 7500 to 2k exactly 2 years ago).

Reactions: FMinMI