Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla nerfs the 75kWh batteries once the amount of DC charging reaches a certain point, I do not remember what that is. I think that reduces the charge limit on the battery to 84kw or something. It has nothing to do with mileage.
Admittedly this is my first full day of serious research but it's been hard to find confirmation of this information.
Is this behavior specific to the 75kWh batteries? I've been to the 85kWh chargegate threads. I'm curious if this is the same underlying behavior or not. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla makes it impossible to know for sure how much DC charging has accumulated on the pack, but at least for the duration that we own the vehicle we can try to estimate how many we're racking up...

Admittedly this is my first full day of serious research but it's been hard to find confirmation of this information.
Is this behavior specific to the 75kWh batteries? I've been to the 85kWh chargegate threads. I'm curious if this is the same underlying behavior or not. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla makes it impossible to know for sure how much DC charging has accumulated on the pack, but at least for the duration that we own the vehicle we can try to estimate how many we're racking up...
Used to be for all batteries but thankfully it appears Tesla has removed this charging limit in one of the firmware updates over the last 6 months.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Interesting. I haven't read about that either! If I understand what you're saying, chargergate/batterygate was introduced by Tesla in 2019 and then resolved by Tesla in late 2020?

Chargegate and batterygate are two other ways Tesla was (and still is) screwing owners of older cars. Nerfing the 75D, 90D & and later the 100D batteries was a separate issue altogether.

Here's the thread with the numbers.

Tesla always changes this so there is no guarantee that the battery charging speed won't be nerfed down the road.

That seems like a reasonable figure for three years and the mileage, given the battery size. My car was in that range at that age and mileage. However, my car — a smaller battery S-60 — has continued to drop and is down 22% at 113k miles over seven years. That is likely because I have to work the battery harder to make long trip legs: charge higher each time and drive lower, say 97% to 5%, and have Supercharged it more than 566 times. Supercharging is probably harder on a battery than slow charging.

Someone who doesn't do those things should have lower degradation over similar mileage and time, I would guess.

My S75D 2018, 82000 km, has a degradation according to Teslafi of around 5% (starting range) and seems to be worse than 2/3 of the comparable cars in the Teslafi-fleet. How did you calculate your cars degradation?
Remark: before 80'000km my degradation was even 2% higher, so my degradation curve did not flattern instead it went up.

Supercharging is probably harder on a battery than slow charging.

I've seen charts that show only rare cases where the Tesla batteries drop below 12% loss in under 8 years. Also, the data shows there is no difference between Supercharging and Level 2 charging as long as your battery temperature management is working properly. What ruins the range on a Tesla battery is discharging most of the time to below 10% SOC and charging to 100% often and letting the car sit at 100%. If you charge your Tesla 75% of the capacity it should last for 800 to 1000 charge cycles before losing 30% of rated capacity.

I believe Tesla is overly cautious with their battery management taper curves. You only get a few seconds at those really high power rates. There are other EV's out that allow flat higher power for 80% of the battery and I believe if people take advantage of that their batteries will lose quite a bit of range in a couple years. With 8 Year 100,000 + mile warranty, these car companies may be sorry.

Reactions: CFinVancouver
I've seen charts that show only rare cases where the Tesla batteries drop below 12% loss in under 8 years. Also, the data shows there is no difference between Supercharging and Level 2 charging as long as your battery temperature management is working properly. What ruins the range on a Tesla battery is discharging most of the time to below 10% SOC and charging to 100% often and letting the car sit at 100%. If you charge your Tesla 75% of the capacity it should last for 800 to 1000 charge cycles before losing 30% of rated capacity.

I believe Tesla is overly cautious with their battery management taper curves. You only get a few seconds at those really high power rates. There are other EV's out that allow flat higher power for 80% of the battery and I believe if people take advantage of that their batteries will lose quite a bit of range in a couple years. With 8 Year 100,000 + mile warranty, these car companies may be sorry.
With small battery cars, such as my S-60, greater degradation than 12% is quite common, from user reports I've seen. My hypothesis is that the battery gets worked harder since it is necessary to charge higher and discharge lower on road trips. If using the car for local driving only, between 20% and 80%, I would expect reduced degradation. More than two thirds of my miles are from long road trips, as opposed to local driving.

If you think about it, 100k miles on a 60 would be more cycles than 100k miles on an 85, and 100k miles would be even fewer cycles on a 100 battery. So, size matters in two ways: number of cycles and required depth of discharge to make a trip leg.

As for Supercharging not being harder on the battery than slow charging, I've seen that claim but remain skeptical. Tesla has changed the charging algorithms considerably since my car was new so it may be that they have tightened up on things to reduce degradation from Supercharging. My Supercharging tops out at about 75 kW when the battery is low, say 5%, and tapers rapidly down from there. By 20% it is in the 60 kW range and by 50% it is usually around 45 kW.

No, I have never left my car below 20% for more than a few minutes after reaching my destination nor left it above 90% for more than a few minutes after completing charging. However, charging and discharging to those levels is absolutely necessary and routine on road trips. At home I generally charge to 70%, which is plenty for 70 mile grocery shopping trips and the like, even in winter.

Anyway, trip legs that used to be easier are more difficult now because the battery is degraded. I make do. For the record: as of May, my capacity was 163 EPA rated miles at 100%. Trip legs of 150 to 180 miles can be difficult.