Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D Delivery Date (May) vs. 100D (Late March)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an interesting observation. I know they used to offer priority delivery when you ordered the Performance versions. It's likely in this scenario they are pushing more 100D sales than 75D due to higher margin. Of course the real reason is anyone's guesses.

A refresh is on the way, because the upcoming 2nd generation of Tesla owners want a car that can match and/or exceed upcoming AudiEtron/Byton/MercedesEQ/JaguarI/PorscheE for at least a couple of years to come. It wouldn't make sense buying a new Tesla now that would be outdated once its rivals come out towards the end of the year. The new refreshed S/X Teslas shall have +600mile range and luxury fit and finish to match their price tag and smack down any competition. The couple months referral extension is just a smoke screen playing time to avoid the osborne effect.

Last edited:
My brother is supposed to be taking delivery of a X75D “early March.” He ordered the car on December 22nd. He noticed the May delivery estimate for the 75’s. My only thought would be the possibility of a transition to home-grown Tesla packs being built in Sparks, NV at the Gigafactory versus the packs they’ve been using up to this point. I am aware that they sell quite a few more 75’s then 100’s due to the price difference. Unless you need the extra 60 miles of range and 0.1 seconds faster to 60, it’s hard to justify the extra $20K.

A refresh is on the way, because the upcoming 2nd generation of Tesla owners want a car that can match and/or exceed upcoming AudiEtron/Byton/MercedesEQ/JaguarI/PorscheE for at least a couple of years to come. It wouldn't make sense buying a new Tesla now that would be outdated once its rivals come out towards the end of the year. The new refreshed S/X Teslas shall have +600mile range and luxury fit and finish to match their price tag and smack down any competition. The couple months referral extension is just a smoke screen playing time to avoid the osborne effect.

Perhaps the extension in the referral program is related, but I'm not so sure about an exterior refresh. Perhaps new PMAC motors, new battery options, maybe new interior with the model 3 air-conditioning vents, but not big overhaul. maybe growing battery options over time but I don't know they go 200 kilowatt until the roadster is in production. But I don't see a true refresh happening in the traditional sense.

Nothing that is coming before 2020 can effectively compete even with x75. Only the new Audi comes close based on specs, but even that will not have proper charging infra before 2020. And then there is the software..

I pulled the trigger on 1/31 for a new custom order 100D. I was in the boat (and still am) of thinking if I should wait or buy now.

Ive been waiting to pull the trigger sine last June or so. And throughout the months of seeing 2017 changes or really "option bundling" the one I thing I noticed was that Tesla changes aren't always welcomed. Either they increased prices, bundled options together for less customization, or changed interior styling based on subjective reasons (e.g. black bottom dash instead of white). And of course the Alcantara gate that happened a few weeks ago but that at least didn't affect S/X for now.

My final thinking was if there is a exterior refresh I don't care too much for that. I like the current X look and I'm getting what I pay for. Battery increase to 600 miles or whatever the wishful thinking is or quick charging? 100D range is 95% enough for my daily commute needs and Super charging network is expending so any road trips I may take in the future is sufficient. If anything they would probably drop a refresh and jack up the price another $5K lol.

So, to each their own.

Reactions: xyeahtony
Tesla is a public company. They live and die by quarterly earnings. They know many people are impatient and will order a more expensive (and MUCH higher profit margin) vehicle if that means getting it earlier. They deliberately delay X75 and S75 deliveries to encourage 100 orders for delivery before the end of quarter (end of March, June, September, December). The trick is that in many, if not most, cases, if you order a 75 early enough in the quarter, despite what they say, they'll bend over backwards to deliver BEFORE end of quarter. Happened to me TWICE in 2017!! They once offered to deliver the car to our house before midnight on 12/31! They don't advertise this because it would eat into profit margins. But rest assured, they have plenty of S and X manufacturing capacity, and their batteries are NOT built (yet) at the Gigafactory so not subject to delays like the Model 3.

Speaking of Model 3, they're doing the same thing. Deliberately delaying production of the $35k car for another year to entice anxious reservation holders to pull the trigger on the MUCH higher margin fully loaded car, especially while the $7500 federal tax incentive is still around. They're not stupid...

My brother is supposed to be taking delivery of a X75D “early March.” He ordered the car on December 22nd. He noticed the May delivery estimate for the 75’s. My only thought would be the possibility of a transition to home-grown Tesla packs being built in Sparks, NV at the Gigafactory versus the packs they’ve been using up to this point. I am aware that they sell quite a few more 75’s then 100’s due to the price difference. Unless you need the extra 60 miles of range and 0.1 seconds faster to 60, it’s hard to justify the extra $20K.
In the last earnings call, JB and Elon mentioned that there are no changes to the battery architecture for the foreseeable future meaning S/X will continue to use 18650 Form Factor cells.