Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D Owners - What's the max. supercharging rate you have seen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had an average voltage of 151 (peaking at 156) with an average amperage of between 132 & 142 (Petaluma & the Fremont Factory, respectively). But that's only 2 data-points, as my other 3 SuperCharger visits don't have stats (one time I went to the Fremont Factory at the end of a quarter, and the Wi-Fi there was so clogged that my logging service didn't get any data!)

96kW is the highest my HW2 75D has ever gotten, even with a hot car at 5% charge. From other threads by the battery nerds here, 96kW is the best our battery pack can handle (due to the math around the number of cells).

I see the same. However, I have seen 70D battery getting a higher charge rate. So I am not sure if Tesla reduced the rate for the 75D for a longer battery life.

My maximum have been 95 kW so far on SuC.
There is a youtube video with Bjørn where he explains that even though the new 75 (and 60) packs charges at lower kW, they keep the same speed for longer. Taking more time before tapering off.

So maybe it is a bit of different technology Tesla uses for these packs.

Yesterday was my first SC experience. Charge rate started at 26.9, peaked at 121.6 and ended at 112.2 . 36 minutes for 61% to 90% which I thought was slow.

Also, you will always get a faster charger in the lower end of the battery and if your car is cold it will also go a lot slower. I've been at a SuC here in Sweden where I only had 15 min of driving in a cold car and in the beginning it would only charge at 32 kW.

From my trip from Seattle to San Diego and back I peaked at 95kw in my 17 75D. Thought about calling service to see what’s up, but now it seems like that’s the norm (I actually asked the service guys while charging at Buena Park SuC that is in their lot and they said that’s normal for 75kw battery). The good thing is every single supercharger along I5 charged at least 90kw at its peak.

From my trip from Seattle to San Diego and back I peaked at 95kw in my 17 75D. Thought about calling service to see what’s up, but now it seems like that’s the norm (I actually asked the service guys while charging at Buena Park SuC that is in their lot and they said that’s normal for 75kw battery). The good thing is every single supercharger along I5 charged at least 90kw at its peak.
Yes, this is normal. Glad to hear that the Superchargers along your route were operating correctly. Sometimes they don't, and it requires shuffling around to find a better stall, or just some patience.

Another thing I noticed is when arriving at a SuC with less than 5% SOC, it takes a bit longer to ramp up the charge. I once arrived with 3% in 33 degree outside temp and the charge fluctuated wildly between 0 and 15kw for a good 15 mins before ramping up.

I once got 103 kW at a SC, when my car was a software locked 70D. That was over a year ago, not long after I got it (Early June '16) there was a software update that I'm pretty sure dropped the peak charging and I've never seen over 96 kW since. Not a big deal though, it still charges pretty fast.

For a short while, Tesla put in software limited 85 kWh batteries in some 75s. Sounds like you have one of those, so congrats on that and enjoy the faster Supercharging :)

You can check the battery sticker if you’re curious to see if this is the case.

Sure thing - have the 85kwh pack does that mean I’m only at around 87% at full charge? Can I be less precious around doing 100% charges?

Attachments

• 251C7A4B-3D8D-4A7E-93F1-B24C65C7B46A.jpeg
    251C7A4B-3D8D-4A7E-93F1-B24C65C7B46A.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 184
Sure thing - have the 85kwh pack does that mean I’m only at around 87% at full charge? Can I be less precious around doing 100% charges?
I should think so. I don't see how this would be different from the software limited 60 that was a 75 kWh battery pack. Still, if you don't need the range, I would probably only go to 90% in day to day and 100% for road trips.

Edit: You should also be able to see it if you have tapering on your charge from 98-100%. If it takes 20-30 min or so, the battery is acctually at 100%. If it doesn't slow down (AC charge, not supercharger) it is not actually at 100%

Last edited: