Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D performance measurements via VBOX DriftBox, pre- and post-uncorking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing unexpected here, but I averaged 5.2 sec to 60 mph pre-uncorking (with runs ranging from 5.1 to 5.4), and 4.2 (very consistently) once updated. Didn't notice any wheel slip, but will try to test again next spring once I replace the stock all-seasons with dedicated summers. It definitely feels faster, as measured by the butt dyno, too. Very impressed.

Averaged a handful of runs on a relatively flat section of road, in both directions, using the VBOX DriftBox with external GPS antenna. 90% SoC. Stock 19" all-seasons on TSportline 19" wheels.

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.38.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.38.15 AM.png

IMG_7332.JPG

True, but the voltage drop under load in the 75 kWh battery is less than that experienced in the 85 kWh.
Can you link to some data? Also, re-measure on an uncorked 75 - the voltage drop under load is proportional to current. For the same power delivered, more current will have to be drawn, therefore more voltage drop, which leads to more current, etc, etc. 75 and 85 use the same battery modules - I suspect for the same power delivered you will actually get higher voltage drop on a 75. If you have measured data we can look and confirm or disprove that.

Can you link to some data? Also, re-measure on an uncorked 75 - the voltage drop under load is proportional to current. For the same power delivered, more current will have to be drawn, therefore more voltage drop, which leads to more current, etc, etc. 75 and 85 use the same battery modules - I suspect for the same power delivered you will actually get higher voltage drop on a 75. If you have measured data we can look and confirm or disprove that.

Yeah, I used to think that. @MP3Mike corrected me and pointed out that they redesigned the pack internals to allow for a lower voltage drop:

You are forgetting that they redesigned the packs so there is a less voltage drop now. So maybe under the 1000 amp load the new 75kWh packs will sag to about the same level that your 85 kWh pack does. As well the DU have been changed and may be more efficient, so they don't need to draw as many amps to get the same level of performance.

Also, the 75 and 85 definitely do not use the same battery modules. The cell chemistry is fundamentally different.

Thanks for the info!

I just found out my "uncorking" was not done properly and I have to go back at the service center. Something new (old) to look up to :).

I had this happen too. Interestingly, SvC didn’t say they had any problems. But after picking up it didn’t seem any faster. Then checked with the API and saw I was still at “p3”.

Returned to SvC a few days later for them to try again. Got it back yesterday. Instantly could feel the huge difference.

I don’t have the cool, super accurate VBOX setup like @turbospecc but I do have Power Tools app which is at least a bit better than the Butt Dyno.

Took it for a run this cool morning (about 63°F). PowerTools showed 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. That might not be exactly accurate but it certainly is much better than the 5.0 second run which was my best pre-update.

Happy camper!

Reactions: Akrion and augkuo
My MS 75D (purchased as a 60D, then software upgraded) was built in Nov of 2016 and I took delivery in Dec of 2016. When I asked the service center (a year ago) if it could be uncorked they were not able to tell me. How does one find out if a MS 75D can be uncorked?

How does one find out if a MS 75D can be uncorked?

The service centers aren’t the most reliable source. Chances are it’s been done already. Two easy ways to test at home - download the PowerTools app for iOS and measure your 0-60 time (90% or better charge, warm, dry, etc) or download the “Remote S” app and use that to read the car settings. Look for the setting “perf_config”. For a 75D, P3 is corked. P1 is uncorked.

Thanks David.85D for the suggestions. I'm pretty sure it has not been uncorked. I expect there is another way to find out what hardware the car has and what if any hardware would be needed to enable the uncorking. Perhaps I should ask the service center again. Is there any other way to get information about the build level of a specific serial number MS?

I had mobile service uncork for me while they fixed a faulty door handle about 3 weeks after I took delivery of my Tesla Used delivery.

Over the phone, my service center (Richmond) told me it looked like it was almost setup for uncork, but for whatever reason the uncork wasn't applied correctly but mobile could take care of me. The mobile tech that came out (it was actually a team) were super cool dudes.

The guy confirmed yep, something was missing, flashed whatever it was. And then he said to me "You're all uncorked now, please be careful, it's going to be a bit more "zippy". He wasn't kidding!

I also have a Model S 60D which must have been built in November 2016. How dou you determine production date btw?
I also wanted to upgrade to 75D if and only if my car is eligible for the uncorking. I have very good contacts to my service center in Switzerland but they told me several times that they would do it for me but I should believe them my car cannot be uncorked "because of the components it has". I know about older cars that have been uncorked so I would really like to know what is the limiting component.

I see you're in Switzerland, but on US cars it's required to have a Monroney window sticker (even though it almost certainly isn't affixed to the glass at time of purchase).

I was able to ask my Owner Adviser (OA) and he got me the original sticker when sold new (as a 60D) and in the top right shows a build month of Oct 2016.

As for the components it is hit or miss. When I called the main national (in the US) Tesla phone number for service, I was told they didn't know or couldn't figure it out. But when I called again and was able to get in touch with my local service center it was shear luck that they were familiar with the uncorking based on people previously seeking them out.

So if you find after countless tries you keep getting the same answer of "not possible" then maybe it's not. You'll also have better luck if your car is "ready to go" and by that, I mean presenting itself as a 75D.

Reactions: Schubee77
I also have a Model S 60D which must have been built in November 2016. How dou you determine production date btw?

How did I find the production date? I opened the drivers door and found a sticker on the rocker panel that read "11/16 MFD BY TESLA MOTORS, INC." followed by information about the tires and vehicle weight. I assumed the 11/16 was the manufacturing date since I took delivery of the car in 12/16.

How did I find the production date? I opened the drivers door and found a sticker on the rocker panel that read "11/16 MFD BY TESLA MOTORS, INC." followed by information about the tires and vehicle weight. I assumed the 11/16 was the manufacturing date since I took delivery of the car in 12/16.

I just checked the stickers in my car. There is no such line on mine. :/

I also wanted to upgrade to 75D if and only if my car is eligible for the uncorking. I have very good contacts to my service center in Switzerland but they told me several times that they would do it for me but I should believe them my car cannot be uncorked "because of the components it has". I know about older cars that have been uncorked so I would really like to know what is the limiting component.

BMS I SENSOR PROTOCOL NUMBER must be > 3. Most cars of the facelift era are 5 but they might not disclose your actual number but it almost certainly is greater than 3. You have to pay to unlock the battery before most service centers will even do the underlying check. It would be very rare for a facelift 60D to not be able to be uncorked after being unlocked.

Reactions: Schubee77