TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

75D standard?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DeadEnd, May 30, 2016.

1. DeadEnd

DeadEnd Member

May 29, 2016
    we have been considering buying a model s upgrades except for the pana roof due to the price. One thing that is weighing on me is now that the 75kw is an long until it is standard and it's just the 75 and 90? I would be upset if I ordered the 70D and the 75D becomes standard the next month. What d you guys think?
  2. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Feb 27, 2016
    East of StL, Earth
    It will eventually be the baseline, but there is no telling if the price will increase slightly when that happens. I say just dive in and let fate decide. Time spent with your new car is much more valuable then that extra 5k of battery.
  3. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

May 5, 2016
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Since Tesla's improvements are unpredictable and rolling, you're always going to be waiting for a potential announcement/upgrade. No one knows how long it will take for 75KW to become standard and I'm thinking it will probably come with a permanent price increase. Since it only increases range by 20mi and it has no performance advantage, I decided to get in before it became standard. And since the refresh announcement just happened, we can be relatively sure there won't be another huge exterior overhaul for a while. Common sense suggests ventilated seats might be coming, but who knows when. Besides, if you're looking at going spartan on options, you probably wouldn't be getting them anyway.

If you're ready, you should just take the plunge.
  4. whitex

whitex Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Seattle area, WA
    As a point of reference, when 85 was discontinued and 90 became standard, so did the $3K price increase. So, the question is, if you bought today and then the 75 became standard at an extra $3K, how upset would you be DeadEnd? Unless of course the goal here is to wait for the 70 option to dissappear so you can stop the anguish of whether to get it (since you will have no choice, like the 90 buyers today). ;)

Tesla continously improves by the way, no matter when you buy, something better is no farther than few days to a year away (actually every month there are changes but may not be noticeable). So, if you like what you see, buy it. If you're going to wait until the latest ever, you'll have to wait and hope that Tesla goes out of business, then hunt down the last car from the production line. :p
    • Funny x 1