Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bswn1

Feb 13, 2016
CA
Just took delivery of my 75D and my steering on Sport mode is very mushy.

I came from a pre refresh 70D and the steering on Sport was precise.

Anyone else notice this? It's driving me nuts.

I have a 75D built in Sept 2016. I came from a BMW 5-series (not M5) and the steering in "standard" mode is definitely lighter than my bmw, but the sport mode is just as tight as my bmw. I am getting a bit lazier now and keep at standard for normal driving, unless I am canyon-driving :).

I drove a 2013 S 85 loaner the other day and the standard setting on steering felt like the sport setting of my 2016 MS75D. I think the steering program has been calibrated down a bit from 2013 to 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
I have the same problem on my November 2016 70D (I think it happend after I switched to winter tires)
There is basically no road feedback in the steering anymore, it feels disconnected from the road and is very difficult to estimate when you are close to "losing the car" around a bend.
Also when quickly swerving left right, the car seems to glide like a boat (with delay) instead of being precise and nimble.
I don't have the premium suspension and I am on 19" Dunlop winter tires.

I drove a loaner today which had premium suspension, 21" wheels and summer tires, that thing feelt like a go-kart.

I had the same problem on my new 100D that was delivered almost a month ago. Sport and comfort mode all felt the same on the steering wheel. I installed a minor 8.1 update (17.14.23) two days ago that seemed to fix the issue. I can definitely feel a difference between the modes now.

Had a very similar experience. My 100D versus my early May 75D felt very different with the same tires. The 100D felt mushier, with the deadband zone feeling kind of "off" on 17.11.10. Got the 17.14.23 update together with a 4 wheel alignment done, and one or the other (or both) helped substantially.

Compared to a pre-refresh P85D, I do feel like the steering wheel transmits less feedback now, similar to what happened when BMW switched to EPAS initially in the 5 series and then 3 series before fixing both in mid-cycle-refresh models.

Just took delivery of my 75D and my steering on Sport mode is very mushy.

I came from a pre refresh 70D and the steering on Sport was precise.

Anyone else notice this? It's driving me nuts.

Yes, I think something changed between the pre-refresh and the refresh cars that has resulted in steering being mushy and imprecise.

There is another thread on the topic.

Unstable steering at speeds around 80 mph

I came to my Tesla from an E39 M5. It was a significant difference in steering feel when I first made the move, but now I'm used to it. Mentally, these things fit into the 'I'll get used to it' category, that I rarely give much thought to unless there's a question of safety or lack of control involved.

I just took delivery of my 2017 S 60, and the Sport mode steering has a bit of an issue. The best way for me to describe it is that, when driving straight, the wheel feels fine; then if I start turning the wheel, the first 1/8 of the turn feels mushy, imprecise, and somewhat lacking responsiveness. When I get to almost about 1/4 of a turn or more the wheel feels as it should. Tight, responsive, precise, and connected to the road. The car has stock tires, can't remember the brand. I fully understand that it could be a software issue as well as a tire or wheel alighnment, toe in, or camber problem.

I have a punch list of other minor items and will be taking the car to the SC soon.

Sports mode by its very definition should have precise control and road feel. If you can't feel the road you have no real idea of how much adhesion you have, quite crucial in such a powerful car I would have thought. I haven't taken delivery of my MS yet (~2 months) but I hope they resolve this. I don't know whether the steering is drive by wire or servo assisted, but I hope the latter as they can then easily tune down the assist without affecting other parameters.