Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D Uncorked To Overshadow P90DL V1 Battery Debacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I'm feeling a bit snarky. I'm truly, honestly, excited for our 75D brothers and sisters out there!

That said, for our P90DL brothers and sisters, I'm fairly certain they're never going to make things right for us and offer a 'fix' for our cars by replacing the experimental V1 Batt with the V3 Batt that should've been in there from the start. Only with the new and vastly improved battery, were any owners able to come near the claimed performance we put our hard earned money on the line for. Some of us were willing to suck it up and spend more money to upgrade the pack to the 100kWh to finally get the performance we already paid for, but alas, again the V1 Batt owners are shafted because we are not eligible for the upgrade (after initially stated that all 90kWh owners were eligible).

It may be time for all P90DL owners to ban together to take action, as opposed to the group therapy we seek from each other on the forums. I love Tesla, and desperately want to see them thrive, but in an honest and fair way. They had to of known that the V1 Batt wasn't ready, and based on the initial C&D review I'm guessing the V2 Batt was already in the works. If there is someone amongst us that is familiar with how to successfully accomplish a collective group message to persuade Tesla to do the right thing, that would be great.

I'm sure the possibility of this thread leading to any action other than me getting severely flamed is little to none, but I figured I'd put it out there and take the preverbal heat.

I'm a 2015 P85DL owner who is apparently not up to speed. Can you give me the executive summary on what happened to some of you with a P90DL? I guess your V1 battery is more or less the same as my 85kWh batter, where newer 90s and the 100s have a better battery design?

What kind of performance are you getting on your P90DL? I'm getting right around 2.8s for 0-60 on my P85DL, although I haven't timed it in a while.

I'm a 2015 P85DL owner who is apparently not up to speed. Can you give me the executive summary on what happened to some of you with a P90DL? I guess your V1 battery is more or less the same as my 85kWh batter, where newer 90s and the 100s have a better battery design?

What kind of performance are you getting on your P90DL? I'm getting right around 2.8s for 0-60 on my P85DL, although I haven't timed it in a while.
The P90DL was always advertised with 2.8s 0-60 AND 10.9s 1/4-mile. The V1 battery is technically not even capable of achieving these specs, no matter how you slice it. People with the V3 battery report better range, less degradation over time, and most importantly for this discussion are able to achieve 10.9s 1/4-mile. As a matter of intrigue, P90DL-V3 hit 2.6s 0-60 and 10.8s 1/4-mile, but I'd be happy with at least the advertised spec.

P90DL-V1 -- Approximately 460kW @ 1500A
P90DL-V3 -- Approximately 515kW @ 1620A

The power curve is also drastically different between them when you engage Max Battery.
It would also appear that the voltage sag is much less on the V3.

Last edited:
Not only would I pay $20k for a P100D upgrade if it was available, I would actually pay more (within reason, obviously) for whatever additional hardware replacement is necessary to bridge the gap from a v1. It is so much cheaper than buying a new P100D, and I'm pretty attached to APv1.

My attitude on "I'm going to sue to make things right" is generally that suing is a brutally slow and cost-inefficient way of solving problems. Did they deliver what was advertised? No. Have I been cheated? Yes. But the margin of how much I've been cheated isn't large enough to go to war over. Lawsuits threatened in anger are usually a waste of time and money.

I'm mostly annoyed at the lack of transparency. If I wasn't reading this forum I wouldn't have the slightest idea why I wasn't eligible for the upgrade. We should all tweet at Elon to get him to explain why the announcement that "Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade" (which is still on the Tesla website) is not being honored.

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyG
Not only would I pay $20k for a P100D upgrade if it was available, I would actually pay more (within reason, obviously) for whatever additional hardware replacement is necessary to bridge the gap from a v1. It is so much cheaper than buying a new P100D, and I'm pretty attached to APv1.

My attitude on "I'm going to sue to make things right" is generally that suing is a brutally slow and cost-inefficient way of solving problems. Did they deliver what was advertised? No. Have I been cheated? Yes. But the margin of how much I've been cheated isn't large enough to go to war over. Lawsuits threatened in anger are usually a waste of time and money.

I'm mostly annoyed at the lack of transparency. If I wasn't reading this forum I wouldn't have the slightest idea why I wasn't eligible for the upgrade. We should all tweet at Elon to get him to explain why the announcement that "Existing P90D Ludicrous owners can also upgrade" (which is still on the Tesla website) is not being honored.
That is exactly my position. I never mentioned "sue"; only that "... if someone amongst us that is familiar with how to successfully accomplish a collective group message to persuade Tesla to do the right thing, that would be great.". This thread was not about threats or anger, but how to collectively convey that what they've done is not ethical, and we (the ambassadors of this company) would like to feel good about the company we support and the investment that we've made.

If a tweet to Elon from all of us here at TMC is what you believe is a successful way to get our message across, I'm onboard; let's do it!