Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D vs 100D Passing Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla configurator shows that the 75D and 100D battery models have virtually the same 0-60 times, but that the 75D has a lower top speed. That doesn't matter to me since I don't plan to go over 140 mph.

They only show passing speed times for the P100D. Does anyone know what they are for the 75D and 100D models? that's probably a bigger deal to me than 0-60 time.

The lower top speed is likely an artificial limit, I don’t think it reflects the actual top speed due to power limit. If 0-60 is similar and 0-30 is similar, then one should expect 50-80 or something like that to be similar too.

Technically both top speeds are artificial limits. The reason the 75 has a lower top speed is due to the fact its a lower voltage battery (75kwh batteries are 350V, 100kwh batteries are 400V), so theres less power to be had.

Strictly speaking, the 100D will have a slightly faster passing speed. There is more power available. Is that worth the extra money for a 100D? can't make that decision for you :) Both cars are still incredibly fast and responsive. Electric cars have instant torque so passing isn't an issue no matter what battery you have.

Technically both top speeds are artificial limits. The reason the 75 has a lower top speed is due to the fact its a lower voltage battery (75kwh batteries are 350V, 100kwh batteries are 400V), so theres less power to be had.

Strictly speaking, the 100D will have a slightly faster passing speed. There is more power available. Is that worth the extra money for a 100D? can't make that decision for you :) Both cars are still incredibly fast and responsive. Electric cars have instant torque so passing isn't an issue no matter what battery you have.

I'm currently driving a P90DL, but the fact that I never actually drive it in Ludicrous mode anymore means it doesn't make sense for me to pay the extra money for the performance model. The 75D has about the same range as my P90DL, which is plenty for me, so I think I'm just going to get that and save a ton of money.

I have a 75D and have no issue passing a lot of cars no problem. I don't even think it matters. The issue I have is going back to an ICE, I step on the gas to pass and nothing. I'm more afraid of trying to pass with an ICE than the 75D. I have a Turbo V-8 that I thought was real fast. Not anymore the Tesla's are just stupid fast passing. Where I'm at we have a limited highway with very few opportunities to pass. With a tesla the question is how many cars can you now pass. Coming out of a traffic circle I can now pass 5-6 cars in the merge lane no problem. I'm not reckless it's just that fast from a slow start or even at highway speed.

I'm currently driving a P90DL, but the fact that I never actually drive it in Ludicrous mode anymore means it doesn't make sense for me to pay the extra money for the performance model. The 75D has about the same range as my P90DL, which is plenty for me, so I think I'm just going to get that and save a ton of money.

Makes sense IMO. If range isn't a big deal, then the 75D seems like a terrific option.

I feel like the only speed where the 75D could use a little help is 50-75 MPH range, I have yet to drive a different model but comparing to previous ICE cars I've driven, that would be the only area of improvement, which is the P100 or even the 100D im sure.

High speed passing differences are significant between the two cars. Yes the S100D is heavier but not only is the max power setting higher in the 100 but also the battery in the 100 is the P100 battery, so all that extra voltage and amperage lessen the field weakening power curve decline. You can compare the two in the performance metrics spreadsheet. Put two quarter mile samples side by side.

...Put two quarter mile samples side by side.

The difference in high speed passing is the area between the green and gray curves.

upload_2018-7-24_19-52-50.png

If you've been driving a Bugatti or some other ultra high performance super car, you might find the passing speed of a 75D a bit pokey, but if you've been driving any kind of "normal" car, any Tesla is going to be "oh sh**!" when you hit the go pedal the first time.

I have a 90D and the first time I passed someone, I was impressed at how fast it accelerated from 50 to what I thought was about 80 until I looked down and found out I was doing 101 MPH. Just as I glanced down my passenger said "uh dude!" to alert me how fast we were going. He's a truck driver and spends 6 day stretches on the road and he got nervous how fast we got going with no effort.

Even if the 75D is slightly slower passing than the 100D, it's still faster than 99% of the cars on the road. I wouldn't worry about it, if you are trying to pass in a situation where any performance delta between the 75D and 100D would make any real difference, you're not in a safe place to pass and you'll probably cause the guy coming the other way to have an accident if you don't.

I wouldn't worry about it, if you are trying to pass in a situation where any performance delta between the 75D and 100D would make any real difference, you're not in a safe place to pass and you'll probably cause the guy coming the other way to have an accident if you don't.

This. The few times I've pushed the car to pass someone (instead of the normal gentle passing), it was amazing. It literally just goes. But then I'm usually mildly nervous since I'm now going a lot faster than I expected and need to adjust to bring the speed down, while hopefully not triggering the regen brake lights making me look like an ass for speeding up and then braking. I'm in a 75D, and I can't imagine a scenario where the differential between the 75D and 100D would have made a go/no go situation. That would just be too close to call, and almost certainly extremely dangerous.