Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D vs 100D performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

In the market for a Model S and just had a couple questions. I'm leaning towards a 75D and have driven both the 75D and the 100D models. Driving the 75D, I was NOT wowed by the acceleration. When I mentioned this to my OA, he said the 75D I drove did not have the newer motors or software update for the faster 0-60 update (4.2 Sec).

The following day I drove the 100D (0-60 in 4.1) and was much more impressed with the performance. To anyone who has more experience in these cars than myself, does the updated 75D feel like the 100D acceleration? The 75D I drove was noticeably slower.

Are there any other noteworthy differences between the 2 models besides the battery pack size? Not sure if the charging rate has been upped on the 75Ds.

Well, by the looks of things on tesla.com. The 75 is rated at 4.3sec 0-60. 75D is rated at 4.2 0-60 and the 100D appears to be 4.1 0-60. I would think the 75D would not be noticeably slower. The other aspect to the 100 is much more range. Close to 30 percent more. I test drove a 75D last month as although it felt fast, it was not impressively quick feeling. I"m hoping it was of the older motor configuration. I was sold anyway and we expect delivery on the 75 next month.

Not new to EVs or Power. My i3 Lease is up in November so I'm looking forward to having a Tesla next. The original 75D feels just a bit quicker than my i3 up to around 60mph, where my i3 falls on its face.

My fun car which is being sold as a down payment is a BMW 135i that has had some massive tuning and currently sits around 550whp. The 100D I drove accelerates like my 1-series when it's in full boost, but there is the benefit of instant torque! I was worried that I'd miss the power which was true in the 75D I drove, but was all there in the 100D. I don't need or want the extra range (due to budget reasons), but want to make sure the New 75D feels as quick as the 100 I drove.

This has been on my mind as well.

I have 6 months left on my P85D lease. If things stay the same...I'll most likely get the 75D. More range than my P85D and still pretty darn fast. For me the range has been fine. If I had the range for 100...I'm not sure for the driving I'm doing it would keep me from having to stop at a super charger the few times I need it.

Well, by the looks of things on tesla.com. The 75 is rated at 4.3sec 0-60. 75D is rated at 4.2 0-60 and the 100D appears to be 4.1 0-60. I would think the 75D would not be noticeably slower. The other aspect to the 100 is much more range. Close to 30 percent more. I test drove a 75D last month as although it felt fast, it was not impressively quick feeling. I"m hoping it was of the older motor configuration. I was sold anyway and we expect delivery on the 75 next month.

Inventory 100D are showing as 3.3s to 60 so the rough differential in time between the 75 and 100 may be maintained

We're also hearing of older cars being uncorked through software alone and not requiring hardware.

To be honest, lots of speculation but its nuclear what's really going on.

Tesla will, as they always do, start pushing for quarter and year end sales, they make changes to draw in buyers, on this one it seems to be leaking out that older cars are benefitting. Something odd is going on.

Back to the original question, whatever performance you get, you'll want more after a while if you're a power lover which I think you are, especially on the move. As great as my old 90D was hitting 60 in around 4s, I wished it had more go between 40 and 70.

Ha! I wish I had the budget. I'm still young and in the market for my next electric car. I made the mistake of driving a Tesla and became obsessed. The 75 is plenty of range for me, and I only want EAP and white paint. Total would be <$80k for an inventory car before rebates.

With new 4 second 75's, would you 100D owners have chosen differently if you could do it over?

That's a path to unhappiness. Tesla improves feature sets so frequently that it's pointless to think about what I could have today versus what I purchased yesterday, and that's true in general for purchases. Those dollars buy different things at different times, but nothing buys the omnipresence required for such a mental exercise to be worthwhile.

I received the vehicle I purchased at the time I made the purchase, as expected.