Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75d vs 70d: more speed or more charge?

What do you think: speed, charge, or either

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 70D on order. Opted against the 75D for now. I'm not an engineer, but it seems that either the total battery in the 70d is used, but it's limited by software or a portion goes unused and is just conditioned. It seems to me then that:

1. 75D should have more power (opening up the full strength of the battery increases power)
2. It should be possible to charge the 70D nearer to 100% without degrading the battery pack (whole battery is available, but not used even at full charge).

I've seen this discussed, but without conclusion.

Thoughts?

Taz

Hey Tazman! Here are a few thoughts.
It depends how much you value that range difference. I drive an s70 (non-D), and am not sure the extra 5kWh would have ever made a difference for me. But higher voltage batteries (85-90kWh) that charge a bit faster and provide significantly more range? Yes, probably a good handful of times. And those would be faster, and I care about that more than range. But I could not bring myself to spend that much more.
In your case, I would think twice before spending $3k on that range upgrade. Depends what else you had in mind.
If you are going for a low total price, I would skip it, and go for things you will enjoy day in and day out like Autopilot (you will not be allowed to leave this room until you check that box), a cool color or high amp charger (depending on how you charge at home). Might even start with a non-D s70, since the difference in speed and power are very slight between a 70 and a 70D. And where we live, AWd does not make that much of a difference. Then you get $5k to spend on other goodies. You also get a $1000 off right now until July 15th by using one of our referral codes. See a list here, where yours truly is at #10.
If you are interested in speed, I would try and stretch for a 90D.

I would have to agree with the assumption that you could fully charge to 70kWh without degradation issues. If the batteries physical makeup is for a 75kWh, and it is software limited to 70kWh, then the full charge of the software limitations would only charge the "physical" battery to 92.6%. Unless the charge will keep charging the additional 5kWh capacity, and the software is programmed to lie to you. We need to find someone who has one of the new 70D's and a meter to find out what a full charge entails.

Great responses. I'm all ordered and confirmed. Autopilot, check, metallic blue check. Premium sound, AWD check. 3K for premium package so I didn't have a white headliner with tan interior, check. Opted for the D for a bit of acceleration and because I just had too much fun in the mountains on a test drive.

Remain hopeful that someone with knowledge can nail the range question. Won't be many cases where it matters, but I'd prefer to have an extra 20 miles in practical range and a near 100% charge, but only if I know there isn't risk to the battery. E-ftw, you would have had my referral, but missed it by a day. Sorry.

FWIW, it's not actually all that bad to temporarily charge to 100%. The issue is keeping the car maintained at 100% all the time (since I'm guessing the average person's Tesla spends 15 out of 24 hours sitting in your garage plugged in). If you know you've got a long day ahead of you, I honestly wouldn't hesitate setting the car to charge to 100%.

Don't worry about it, just here to help out fellow Tesla-nuts. Congrats on the order!
I really would not sweat the range. We live at ground zeros or EVs, and charging options are plenty. Superchargers are everywhere. And check PlugShare for even more options!

FWIW, it's not actually all that bad to temporarily charge to 100%. The issue is keeping the car maintained at 100% all the time (since I'm guessing the average person's Tesla spends 15 out of 24 hours sitting in your garage plugged in). If you know you've got a long day ahead of you, I honestly wouldn't hesitate setting the car to charge to 100%.
Agreed wholeheartedly.
I range charge quite often, because I know that I am driving for at least 50 miles at the end of the day. The car never sits at 100% for more than a few hours.
Let it sit overnight at 100% too often, you might see a drop in range in the long run. Don't abuse the battery (like everyone does with their laptop) and you'll be fine. :)

Additionally, this car has such a big battery compared to every other EV that you can go days, sometimes a week before thinking about charging. I don't have home charging, and am rarely wondering where my charge will come from. Depends on your commute, charging options and so on. You'll get used to it!

Reactions: chillaban