Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75kWh battery pack problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm currently looking at used Model S 75Ds from 2016-2017.

I've read a lot about charge-throttled batteries from cars of this era. It's all very confusing for a newcomer trying to understand the differences between v1 v2 v3 batteries, 350v vs 400v, so on and so forth. I've never owned a Tesla, or any electric car for that matter, and it's all a bit overwhelming.

Is there anywhere where I can see a really good and simplified summary of which batteries are affected, which to avoid, etc? I am specifically concerned with the 75kWh battery packs. Is there any particular generation of this battery that I should be wary of?

I've got my eye on a facelifted Sept 2016 70D (with confirmed 75kWh battery pack) but I am concerned that this battery would be one of the first ones that they made and therefore might have problems. Everything else about the car checks out. Am I looking too much into this, should I just buy it?

I am not sure I know of a definitive source for all the wealth of information you're seeking. Most of the comments you'll see about severely charge rate limited batteries are referring to earlier 85 packs from the 2012-2015 era and tends to be more extreme on cars that have higher percentage of total use from supercharging. I do not have a 70/75, but my vehicle is a similar vintage car MS90D vehicle built mid-June 2016. In terms of charging rate my car actually charges faster at a supercharger now than it did back in 2016 when it was brand new. That is a combination of the newer V3 superchargers but also Tesla actually increasing the peak rate at which my car charges. For reference my car current has about 79k miles total on the odometer, about 40-45% of those miles are from supercharging versus charging at my home at lower charging rates.

What might be the most helpful for you is if you can search out a local Tesla owners group and see if you can get the first hand experience of anyone around you that has a car similar to what you are considering. Also, it this a purchase from a private owner, not a dealer of some form, you could see if they'd agree to run the car down to around 25% SOC and then meet you at a supercharger so you can see for yourself what max charge rate you will see. You'll also want the car to have been driven ideally a good 30 minutes on the way to the supercharger with the supercharger programmed into the navigation as destination. This will help get the pack up to temperatures to support higher charging rates.

Good luck with your decision,

75s all seem pretty solid. Not many stories of them failing around here yet.

Anecdotally, my Dec 2016 S75 just hit 155,000 miles. 100% charge is about 216 miles these days (down from 249 new).

Lots of supercharges and 100% charges. It actually supercharges faster than it did when it was new - peak rate is about 140kw now. When the car was new it would never go over 100kw.

Anecdotally, my Dec 2016 S75 just hit 155,000 miles. 100% charge is about 216 miles these days (down from 249 new).

Lots of supercharges and 100% charges. It actually supercharges faster than it did when it was new - peak rate is about 140kw now. When the car was new it would never go over 100kw.
Hi.
I have 2016 Model S with 70/75kWh battery. My car at 100% charge is about 218 miles with 80k miles. This is more than 10% degradation. Have you calculated the actual battery capacity using the formula, the Average commotion. (Wh/mi) x Projected range / the Percent?

Thanks.

My 2017 MS 75D has very similar mileage drop and faster supercharging. I never hit 100kw before, but now I frequently see 120+

• Informative
Reactions: David29
An older 75 that is still charging up to a relatively high capacity should have stood the test of time and continue to perform well.

Generally the older a battery is, the closer it is to degrading, and that is why the older Teslas usually sell for lower prices. 85 and 90 were larger, but not that advanced in technology.

While the 75 has been a solid perfomer, the feeling overall is that the 100 kWh battery was a significant improvement in both range and longevity. You will need to pay more for those in the used market.