Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75kWh is first off the line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the initial release doesn't allow me to upgrade the battery to at least 75 kw/h, that is an automatic game changer for me. Cancel both my reservation until Model 3 get mature. It's already a disappointment for not having AWD in the initial release, but no battery upgrade, that is definitely a no-go for me.

Unless Tesla can come up with a gauaranteed way to say they offer battery upgrade later on, I wouldn't want to buy something and can't upgrade it and be stuck with it just because.
Non-issue. Unless you work for Tesla or SpaceX, you won't be ordering at the time of initial release.

If the initial release doesn't allow me to upgrade the battery to at least 75 kw/h, that is an automatic game changer for me. Cancel both my reservation until Model 3 get mature. It's already a disappointment for not having AWD in the initial release, but no battery upgrade, that is definitely a no-go for me.

Unless Tesla can come up with a gauaranteed way to say they offer battery upgrade later on, I wouldn't want to buy something and can't upgrade it and be stuck with it just because.
If you think you'll be able to order in the initial release that means you must have reserved early. Which means you've already been waiting for over a year. What's a few more months? From what has been tweeted it sounds like there is every chance that AWD would be available by the end of the year, and I'd assume, if it isn't there initially, that the larger batter would be as well.

On the other hand, if you waited in line and you're in CA, you're likely in front of me (I waited in line but am in Ohio) - so go ahead and cancel. :D

So let me get this straight, after waiting a year and half you are going to cancel your reservation because you have to wait an extra few months? That seems silly to me. You say you'll cancel your reservation until it gets mature, but you're going to have to wait a long time after putting in a new reservation to get a car while tons of other people are getting exactly the car you were too impatient to wait for.
Are u require to purchase once the car is ready? I didn't think you can sit on the reservation for 1 year after your number is ready to purchase?

If you think you'll be able to order in the initial release that means you must have reserved early. Which means you've already been waiting for over a year. What's a few more months? From what has been tweeted it sounds like there is every chance that AWD would be available by the end of the year, and I'd assume, if it isn't there initially, that the larger batter would be as well.

On the other hand, if you waited in line and you're in CA, you're likely in front of me (I waited in line but am in Ohio) - so go ahead and cancel. :D
Wei reserved the very same day it was made available and being Model S owner I'll get priority

Are u require to purchase once the car is ready? I didn't think you can sit on the reservation for 1 year after your number is ready to purchase?
The two ways I've heard speculated on the most are:
  1. You get invited to configure, you go in and all the options are there but selecting some of them will delay the production of your car by, up to, several months. You pick your options, get your date, and wait.
  2. The other possibility is that you get invited to configure and not all of the options are selectable. You would just wait, checking back occasionally (hourly) to see if the options you want have been made available. It might be several months until they are there but then you go in, select them, and get a delivery date that should be much faster than the several months in the first scenario but would get you your car at about the same time.
In both cases you don't lose place in line, your just letting others go in front of you that are willing to take the options that are available. Keep in mind that both of those scenarios are internet speculation ....

Reactions: lukex4 and smilepak

There's an AP2, 100D Founder's Edition Model X floating around - someone who was invited to configure in 2015, and held on to the reservation (which had a $40k non-refundable deposit I believe) for almost an entire year extra until the options she wanted finally came along.

I imagine it'll be the same for the 3 - you'll be invited to configure based on where you are in the reservation queue with the various modifiers (region, tesla owner, etc.) Cars will be delivered based on the timing when orders are confirmed, regardless of when you were invited to configure (with some adjustments for factory convenience with batching and possibly delays for options that are available to configure with late availability.)

I'm guessing they'll offer most everything up front (at least big/small battery, AWD, and PXXD, probably most things they plan to offer for the first year or two,) with notes saying this option will delay your order until approximately XX, but if they don't, you can just sit on the reservation and not configure until the option comes along, then take delivery based on when you finally confirm (meaning you'll get it around the time other folks who confirm at the same time get it.)