Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75KWh MS soon?

What do you think Tesla is currently doing with the 70KWh pack

• Tesla is currently offering 75KWh packs but are software limiting it to 70KWh

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Tesla have 70KWh left over packs and will sell those first before offering the 75KWh version

Votes: 41 62.1%
  • Tesla will make 2 batteries, one 70KWh for model S and one 75KWh for model X

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I have the new 70, but with the 75 pack, then to what percent charge can I charge my 70 to, to still be in the "safe" ideal for battery life range?

Update: Maybe I'm not seeing it in the forums, but seems to be a more interesting point to be discussing: Why would anyone, except the very few, want to upgrade from a 70 to 75?

Majority will only be charging to 90% correct? All updated cars have the 75, so essentially those who own the new 70 can charge up to 96% and still be in the 90% range. I'm informed that the downgrade is truly just a software fix, and that in fact the entire 75 battery is used in a downgraded 70, it's not like cells are turned off and never used.

I ordered the S70 as soon as the latest announcement was made in mid April, and was offered the 75 upgrade for $3k. But I don't see any real reason to upgrade except for bragging rights. I'm in the demographic to just get the base and minimum upgrades for the car.

Does anyone share a similar view point or opinion?

I have an S 70D on order (June delivery) and am confused about the "upgrade" to the 75KWh battery. Is the battery that will come with the car (but I can't use unless I pay $3000) heavier than the 70D battery I ordered? Or, has Tesla simply made a software change? If I"m getting a heavier battery that I didn't order and can't use, it seems unfair.

Update: Maybe I'm not seeing it in the forums, but seems to be a more interesting point to be discussing: Why would anyone, except the very few, want to upgrade from a 70 to 75?

Majority will only be charging to 90% correct? All updated cars have the 75, so essentially those who own the new 70 can charge up to 96% and still be in the 90% range. I'm informed that the downgrade is truly just a software fix, and that in fact the entire 75 battery is used in a downgraded 70, it's not like cells are turned off and never used.

I ordered the S70 as soon as the latest announcement was made in mid April, and was offered the 75 upgrade for $3k. But I don't see any real reason to upgrade except for bragging rights. I'm in the demographic to just get the base and minimum upgrades for the car.

Does anyone share a similar view point or opinion?

I would expect them to be scaling the charging curve proportionally on the 70 vs 75, such that at 90% the 75 has 19 more miles than the 70... But since nobody has one yet, we won't know that for sure.

I think it's a good option to have albeit at a premium, but to be honest I asked myself the same about why would I pay $10,000 more for 50 more miles of range re. the 70 vs the 90.... But then again, I live in an area where there's 4 superchargers within 30 minutes of my place, and for my wildest imagination, the 70D will be more than enough range, so I opted not to pay for anything extra. But I like that I can get at least 19 more miles if I later realize this to be a mistake.

I would expect them to be scaling the charging curve proportionally on the 70 vs 75, such that at 90% the 75 has 19 more miles than the 70... But since nobody has one yet, we won't know that for sure.

I think it's a good option to have albeit at a premium, but to be honest I asked myself the same about why would I pay $10,000 more for 50 more miles of range re. the 70 vs the 90.... But then again, I live in an area where there's 4 superchargers within 30 minutes of my place, and for my wildest imagination, the 70D will be more than enough range, so I opted not to pay for anything extra. But I like that I can get at least 19 more miles if I later realize this to be a mistake.

The superchargers are a lot more spread out here in the Northwest. Technically there is a supercharger only 5 miles from here in Sandy, OR, but it would take an hour to get there. It's on the other side of the Columbia and the nearest bridge is 25 minutes away. The next closest supercharger is south of Portland and I live in the northern suburbs. There is only one between here and Seattle, and the first one headed east is an hour away in the Dalles, OR. There are none on the coast in Washington or Oregon and very few on the interior when you get off I-5 or I-90.

I went for the 90D to get the maximum range possible.

I have noticed the 70 and 70D is selling much better these days. Californians probably don't see a need for a 90 with superchargers so dense. People who don't plan to travel much, or know they will only travel on the well covered interstates probably are opting for 70s too.

The superchargers are a lot more spread out here in the Northwest. Technically there is a supercharger only 5 miles from here in Sandy, OR, but it would take an hour to get there. It's on the other side of the Columbia and the nearest bridge is 25 minutes away. The next closest supercharger is south of Portland and I live in the northern suburbs. There is only one between here and Seattle, and the first one headed east is an hour away in the Dalles, OR. There are none on the coast in Washington or Oregon and very few on the interior when you get off I-5 or I-90.

I went for the 90D to get the maximum range possible.

I have noticed the 70 and 70D is selling much better these days. Californians probably don't see a need for a 90 with superchargers so dense. People who don't plan to travel much, or know they will only travel on the well covered interstates probably are opting for 70s too.
Yeah, definitely if I didn't live in this area, I would go for the 90D in a heartbeat. But around here I thought long and hard and the 70D seemed like a great value and I'm sure a lot of folks feel that way too.

Hope you enjoy your 90D!

Yeah, definitely if I didn't live in this area, I would go for the 90D in a heartbeat. But around here I thought long and hard and the 70D seemed like a great value and I'm sure a lot of folks feel that way too.

Hope you enjoy your 90D!

I'm in that infinite wait period between ordering and delivery. I try to console myself by looking at my finances and calculating that my money situation will be better in a month when I need to pay for the thing, but it doesn't help much...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker