Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$78k PM3 AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He didn't say the extra motor insulated against all possible failures. He said if one "motor breaks down", you've got another.

Obviously if some other critical component common to both drive units fails, there will be issues.
I didn't have time to find the post last night but see P85D Front Motor Died and P85D Front Motor Died.

Per the above, it's asserted that on a Model S, if the rear motor dies (unless it leaves its inverter intact), you're hosed.

I don't know if he was specifically excluding inverter failures in his comment, or of perhaps the M3 has a different architecture.

I'm not sure why they are even bringing up the "motor fail" issue, since it is has not been an issue (except the very early Model S). Why bring up something that isn't going to happen. It just sows doubt.

I'm not sure why they are even bringing up the "motor fail" issue, since it is has not been an issue (except the very early Model S). Why bring up something that isn't going to happen. It just sows doubt.
Define "very early". We've already seen multiple folks w/Model 3 DUs die and require replacement.

In the thread I pointed to, Woland, Rule_of_72, TomL, and Throtex all had D versions of the Model S and all had at least 1 DU die. I'm sure I can find instances of Model S or X and definitely 3 with failed DUs (as in loss of propulsion or error messages then Tesla having to replace the DU) and NOT just noises (e.g. milling) where the car was built after July 2015 or a replacement DU was installed after July 2015 and it died.

On the other hand, I've been active on mynissanleaf.com since mid-2011. Motor/gearbox replacements for ANY reason are virtually unheard of. It's not 0, but I can't think of more than a couple. I think 1 or 2 of those were for noise. I doubt there are even 10 reported in total on MNL.

Last edited:
No big deal, but do you disagree that motor failure has not been an issue or that mentioning it in the configurator sows doubt?
If Tesla motor failure has "not been an issue", then the number of failures (not just replacements for noise) would be similar to what we see at MNL for Leaf motor failures.

The difference is at least an order of magnitude apart.

Reason for the post, is that in the 3 each motor is controlled independently. One is designed for highest performance and the other for highest range. It can switch between either one, depending on need. This will give motor redundancy as a bonus for owners.

I understand that everyone wants things cheaper, but compared to other performance vehicles, this seems pretty reasonable.

Tesla has done their research well. The high end options will bring in additional profits to the company, while the base model will bring in more customers.

Will be fun to see the look at racers faces when these high performance models first show up at local track days.

If Tesla motor failure has "not been an issue", then the number of failures (not just replacements for noise) would be similar to what we see at MNL for Leaf motor failures.

The difference is at least an order of magnitude apart.

My bad, I didn't know that Tesla was still replacing motors, I thought it was just an issue with 2012-2014 Model S's. I would be curious to see the data post 2014 on motor replacements, if you have it.

Reactions: Seven7
  • $78.8K without AP
  • $5K for AP
  • $1K for Destination and Regulatory Doc Fee
  • $1K for MC Red
We are at $85,800 before taxes.

Where I live sales tax is 7%, which would be $6K on the options above.
Lets assume financing, add another $6K over the term of the loan and we are at $97.8K :eek: Did I mention this is without Air Suspension, whenever that is available add another $5K.

This is just me...if performance was my number 1 criterion and I was shelling out a hundred grand for it..the Performance Model 3 wouldn't be on the top of my list, it actually wouldn't be in my top 5.

Performance to me is a lot more than just linear acceleration, that gets old...real quick, it's acceleration matched with precise, properly weighed steering matched with top notch suspension bits that would give me a thrill in the sharp turns. A suspension and right pedal response I could tweak based on my liking, comfort, sport, track etc. I personally don't think the PM3 suspension will be as good as the BMW M3, from a pure performance perspective.

I ask myself why is Tesla charging so much for the Performance version...because they can...and because people with pay it.

Last edited:
To truly compete with BMW M3, the Model 3P needs to also have enough "differences" in the appearance and setup as well. I have seen Franz's car and I hope that is a "P" car. The BMW is very well-appointed and looks noticeably different than the base car.
For ~$80k, I hope the car will have more than just a badge and colorful calipers.
Go and visit the BMW website to build one...

Visibly Different Appearance
Heads-Up Display-Almost as much info as MS dash display and fully customizable
Side and Top View Cameras
LED Headlights-amazing I have had 3 M-cars
Active Blind-spot Detection-Aggressively tells you and shows you if car is in your blindspot
Upgraded Interior with multiple Leather/non-leather options Options

However, even with all those negatives, I want electric...Tesla please add some features!!:cool: Please:D

I agree completely. I have blacked out some of the chrome trim on my car, but otherwise my MS P100D looks identical to any other MS. If I have a "performance" model, I feel there should be some visual differentiation between it and the standard models.

My bad, I didn't know that Tesla was still replacing motors, I thought it was just an issue with 2012-2014 Model S's. I would be curious to see the data post 2014 on motor replacements, if you have it.
I don't have any specific statistics, but I have numerous data points besides the ones I already pointed to from cars built after 2014 and drive units installed after 2014.

Here are some for the 3:
First Model 3 motor failure reported, Tesla engineers on their way to investigate
Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible
Rear motor disabled
Delivery Problems
My So my M3 broke down 2 days after delivery

S and X:
P100D - Drive Unit Needs Service - Avoid Hard Acceleration
Model X Delivery #failure #day1
A bad week - Drive Unit Need Service
New Drive unit for 2016 refresh
New Drive unit for 2016 refresh - voltronhb later said "New S60D delivered September 2016"
Drive unit replacement - getting better?
New P100d model S failed!!!
Warnings, More Warnings and then car "Unable to Drive"
Dual engine shut down on freeway. Anyone else? - same guy as above
Dual engine shut down on freeway. Anyone else?
New Model S Drive Unit Replaced at 734 Miles
P85D Rear Drive Unit failure
First P85D with major malfunction failure @ 221 miles -- story + repair - probably front motor prob

I'm sure this is nowhere close to a complete list. The above shouldn't include any DUs replaced for "cosmetic" noise.

• Helpful
Reactions: EV-lutioin
Someone who placed an order for a performance version showed the configuration allowed for selection of the 18” wheels/tires.
Here are the screenshots, showing fully loaded including EAP and FSD:

Attachments

• PM3 pg 1.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 62
  • PM3 interior.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 42
  • PM3 color wheels.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 53
  • PM3 AP.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 80
  • PM3 order.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 50
That $40k base model AWD will be available by 2025.
So cynical! It will be available by 2020. :rolleyes:

Realistically speaking, one can argue that the demand for AWD LR will be less than RWD LR. Assuming that is true (which I think it is), then the next option has to be SR AWD and/or SR RWD. Given that Tesla has initiated the AWD process with less than 40K cars produced, it's safe to say that LR AWD sales should be south of 40K cars. That equates to less than 12 weeks (3 months) of production at 3500 cars/week. I think that P3D will not affect these calculations significantly.

So I would wager that SR AWD becomes available for ordering by Sep 2018, most likely Aug 2018. In the worst case scenario, it's Oct 2018.

Last edited: